THR Seeing the Light!

This morning I had a patient who was 74 years old — who had a double-hip replacement four years ago.
She told me it was ‘like magic’...that after two weeks she didn’t even need a cane and could move perfectly.

I felt like a was an inch high — but hey, I’m a professional!

:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

@lovesstars ha ha I remember being overtaken by an 80year old when I was trying to walk down the hospital ward! But I have been told on many occasion that it depends on what was wrong to how we recover. Straight forward OA hip replacement seems to be much easier than AVN or a congenital hip disorder from birth. We are special!!!!

@lovestars I hope you’re feeling some relief. I can imagine the frustration of such pain after 5 months. I’m not there yet, but each time progress steps back a bit, I’m annoyed. To have such pain. . . Well, bless you and you’re great attitude. It’s 0 degrees here (Fahrenheit).the thermometer in the car read “0F” and I thought it meant “OFF”, couldn’t figure out how it turned itself off. anyway, the cold makes us clench up without knowing it. It saps energy and definitely can involuntarily cause muscle wear and tear. But do check with your OS. TAKE CARE!

I was a straightforward OA replacement in very good physical condition. I dispensed with a stick after 6 weeks and was not walking perfectly by any means. OA messes up muscles which need time to recover. Having spoken to others I expect to take a year or more to get to where I want. I think some of these stories sound rather apocryphal.

Hi @lovesstars
How are you feeling as the week has progressed? Any of the new discomfort easing?
I hope so although the weather is only getting worse. Bundle up and stay warm so you're not feeling as tense
while outdoors. Blustery and freezing here today. :groan:Oh lovely Spring...where are you? :flwrysmile: :SUNsmile:

Hey @lovesstars I'm so sorry to hear about the aches and pains. I wish I had some sage advice.

I don't get stinging in the incisions themselves, but I do have soreness/numbness in both thighs, mostly the outside. And sometimes a fleeting stab of sharp electric-type pain in my left thigh. Because I had both hips done, 7 weeks apart, I sort of test the soreness in each one to see if the right side is less sore, and it definitely is.

The thing I have learned about pain from all this is that when you have it you (well, I) cannot think as clearly, cannot be as efficient (and I value this in myself). Argh

That's one of many things I hated about having arthritis.

Hang in there (I wanted to upload a photo of Albert hanging from the front doorknob by his paws but can't find it).

Attachments

• albert with 2 cats.jpg
    albert with 2 cats.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 172
Oh NOOOOOOOO @lovesstars - I'm so sorry to read this. Honestly, there have been weeks that I have felt like I might as well throw a dart at the dart board to see what the day will bring - "energy vs achiness vs pain vs zero energy and down mood, etc". I will say that like you, being in pain totally makes everything else a struggle. It makes total sense to me that if you're not feeling well and have pain somewhere, your brain is not able to 100% engage on anything. I think it sounds like you should contact your OS (although is he the jerk that was so rude to you or am I thinking of someone else?)

Wishing some warm weather for you and some days of comfort.

@Layla @NanaKP @EL11 – thanks for checking in. yep...still having issues in my tissues. (see what I did there?). My PT wrote back to me and told me that this is normal. Last night and this morning a bit rougher — but I was carrying a heavy bag yesterday and also walking super gingerly through snow and slippery surfaces.
This morning the temperature is -9. Thankfully, not in the house. I just took more Tylenol Arthritis and am wrapped in wool.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

@EL11 ALBERT IS THE MOST!

Issues in my tissues, lol. That's a good one.
Glad you got re-assurance though. Hopefully it eases your mind.
At -8 here this morning too. I do need to go to the grocery store but that's about it.
We're in for an insanely cold weekend and even worse next week, by mid week the daily highs are predicted at below zero. I'm sure about the same for you.

Stay warm @lovesstars and insulate your body and hips from that bone shivering cold.

Last edited:
@Layla @NanaKP @EL11 – thanks for checking in. yep...still having issues in my tissues. (see what I did there?). My PT wrote back to me and told me that this is normal. Last night and this morning a bit rougher — but I was carrying a heavy bag yesterday and also walking super gingerly through snow and slippery surfaces.
This morning the temperature is -9. Thankfully, not in the house. I just took more Tylenol Arthritis and am wrapped in wool.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

@EL11 ALBERT IS THE MOST!
"Issues in my tissues," nice rhyme that immediately made me think of the James Brown song, "I Got Ants in My Pants (and I Want to Dance)." I hope it was reassuring that the PT said that. I think it's so nice that you can write to them. I remembering how I appreciated mine reminding me that I'd just had a part of my body ripped open, for crying out loud. As they always tell us, @lovesstars, every healing is different—a key mantra of THR.

It's 30 here in Worcester right now, feels like 22 according to weather.com. Yesterday I went to the gym, second day in a row; it was raining but temps were above 50. I hesitate to go outside when there might be black ice, which could return next week.

Yes, Albert is so beautiful and adorable I can hardly stand it. Kind of a pest sometimes. Currently he's yowling and yowling in the kitchen, why I don't know, as he was just fed. I put a strip of spiky plastic carpet runner next to the stove, because when he's manic like this he'll jump up there and push one of the spices off the counter. A few days ago he did it six times in a row.

Attachments

• Albert hyper.JPG
    Albert hyper.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 200
still having issues in my tissues
Sorry to hear you are having pain and achiness. I am finding the cold really affects me, NOTHING like the OA pain, but I get muscles aches. My OA said I would experience active healing up until eight/nine months, but the healing would go on to a year and a half post op, but I wouldn't be aware of it as much after the eight/nine month mark. Given all that activity, I figure we can also have discomfort, and extreme weather has to affect our healing bodies for sure. I hope you can find what makes you the most comfortable. I'm with you on the wool.
I just looked at the weather forecast and see that nasty polar vortex. Hope you have some nice cozy merino wool long johns and/or leggings. Thinking of you! Stay warm!

@Layla Ok — I know what winter is like here...but I tricked myself into thinking I was somehow escaping it — and that we might be super lucky to stay in the 20’s from now through February. No — not so lucky. I think we just need to power through.

@Alitm let’s combine your PT and my PT and we will have the perfect PT! No, I didn’t realize active healing will happen until 9 months...but that is great to know. On the upside, I can now sit on the bed to put on my sock instead of being on a low stool — with no sock helper! Interestingly, I have been spending the past day or so with a group of women older than myself...and I don’t feel as weird. And yes, I am usually with folks a bit younger. Yesterday i actually uttered the phrase “....this really nice young couple around 40...”. My group laughed hysterically.

@EL11 Wow, you have a great appreciation for a turn of phrase. You should be a lyricist. :rotfl:
:rotfl::rotfl: I wonder if Albert knows that the weather is changing and that is making him nuts. Daisy absolutely gets hyper when snow is about to arrive or it is snowing.

This week was really strange for a lot of reasons — I am also heading a job search and our job candidate, who was supposed to come Tues-Thurs (with a lot of events that I was planning with about 70 individuals), missed his plane, took no responsibility for it, couldn’t figure out how to get himself here, was histrionic about snow and showed, in the moment, a complete lack of life skills. Was really interesting to learn stuff about him which we would not have learned if it were not for the situation. In short, we are no longer interested in this candidate (and man, he was the forerunner!). But boy, what a day that was, making and cancelling plans, changing them again and again, watching him unravel.

Now it is Saturday morning and I can look back and say — wow, it’s cold...I think I’ll make some hot cereal.

Look at me — can you tell I am sitting in a predawn kitchen, waiting for the Tylenol to kick in?
I hope that you all stay warm today...unless of course you are in the Southern Hemisphere or the Caribbean — then I am wishing you air-conditioning.
:angel::flwrysmile::roseshwr:

Just got this article from my local paper in my inbox — here is the first paragraph:

“The bad news is we could get up to 10 inches of snow to start the work week, followed by mind-numbing cold, possibly down to the 60 below zero level with the wind thrown in. The good news? Spring is only eight weeks away.”

Good times! :loll::heehee::rotfl:

:sigh: I am cold at anything under 60 degrees.
Stay warm lovesstars :roseshwr:

Morning! Yup the aircon is on although we only use it a little and then rely on the ceiling fan.

Sorry you are getting nerve scar tingles. It is my six month anniversary today and I definitely get them if I overdo it with stretches and stairs....it did improve between months 5and 6 though so I hope it is the same for you.

Hip mainly well behaved but soon let’s me know if too much. Moving to a place today with 92 steps to the beach and not sure my right knee will hold up or my broken toe (!) but one has to try!

“Mystery accommodation” in that we know where we are going but not where we are staying. Have been told there will be “enough room to swing a hanky and not to worry” hmmm. I will let you know!

ps: I know not everyone believes in massaging the scar area but I have done this every day and do find it helps as does gentle stretching and physio first thing in the morning. Once back to work not sure how I will find time but will make sure my thermals are findable as my legs work much better when warm!

Have a nice day! X

SurreyGirl doesn't know how lucky she is to be by the sea as we're contemplating a week of sub zero temps, inches of snow and possible school closures. I too was thinking we'd skate through this Winter, lovesstars.
No.Such.Luck. All we can do is be prepared, dress warm and only venture out when necessary.

It's too bad you had to go through all of that with the potential new hire but just think of what it may be saving you from, had you hired him.
I'm clinging to your reminder that Spring is only 8 weeks away. I fear it's going to be a loooong 8 weeks :bawl:
Stay warm and enjoy the weekend. I think some home made soup is on the menu for tonight. On my menu anyway.
@lovesstars

I have talked to one of my sisters in northern IL and my oh my, the midwest is definitely getting record cold. I'm so very sorry, I have never enjoyed winter much but the older I get, the less I enjoy anything about it.

I am packing for my trip to FL this week and their forecast has been FULL of rain and cooler temps (pretty close to what we have in CO today). It's balmy compared to what all of you are going through though @Layla @lovesstars, definitely soup weather!!!!

I am really dreading this trip - perhaps I've worked it up more in my mind than need be. Did you get assistance at the airport when you traveled @lovesstars?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom