TKR DebCoz's recovery thread<

’m just concerned at how little I can bend it, I’m at about 80.
At less than 3 weeks, that bend is fantastic! Most OSs don't expect 90 until 6 weeks and you're already almost there! Don't sweat it, just relax and let it happen. Doing too much keeps you swollen which inhibits your ability to bend your knee. Can you bend a water hose full of water? It's the same thing with your knee. Get that fluid out and your knee will bend better.

I’ll try my PCP. NJ is a real pain with opioids.

I am at 2 weeks and 3 days and when I saw my OS 2 days ago she grudgingly gave me a prescription for 30 5mg oxy’s. I had been taking 4 a day spacing them out along with Tylenol and gabapentin which really is only 6 days of Oxy. So I am cutting back to 3 a day to get a little longer out of it. Not sure if she will renew again. If not, I will reach out to my pcp. Maybe she will help. Or maybe I won’t need anything at the 3-4 week mark. It is unfortunate that those who don’t need the drugs can get them more easily than those of us who do need them. The legit folks pay the price. Good luck with your pcp.

I’m getting pain/tightness behind my right knee. I’m assuming this is “normal” given my knee is new and repositioned.

Yes, it's normal.
Are you icing the back of your knee as well as the front, Deb? That often helps.

“Are you icing the back of your knee as well as the front,“. Unfortunately My OS says no ice after the first day post-op, once you’re home. I’m assuming the pain I’m feeling is from ligaments and tendons and such getting back to a semblance of normal after the TKR.

Unfortunately My OS says no ice after the first day
That's cruel! Ice is a great pain killer and swelling reducer. I would do it anyway, but don't you do it. You do what your doctor says. Are you allowed to elevate? That can help get the swelling down some.

I’ve been elevating every time I’m sitting and in bed at night, which I HATE. The swelling is pretty under control.

Nah! You go ahead and ice! It's cruel of him to deny you it!

It's your knee. Try icing and if you find it helps, keep on doing it.
No matter what your surgeon thinks, icing your knee will not slow down its recovery.

The soft tissue pain and twinges freak me out, it did with my left TKR back in March 2018.

Try not to worry about them. They're normal, and to be expected.

Ok, I’m almost 6 weeks out of surgery on the right TKR. I’m doing well, bend is just shy of 90 degrees and extension is getting better. Pain is pretty much limited to the weird soft tissue pain/spasms. I’m walking around the house without any canes, but still take one if I go outside or out. I’m taking Aleve at night so I can get some sleep, but no other pain meds during the day. I’m not doing any outpatient PT, but am doing the exercises they had me do after my left TKR only at home.

Good job DebCoz. I will be 6 weeks on Tuesday post op Bilateral. I have not given up my pain meds yet as I find that it helps me work through my ROM better. I take only one oxy a day and I take that before bed so I can sleep. One thing you might want to consider is to use two or more pain meds before bed and if you have pain during the day. The docs talk about multi-modal pain relief now as the best way to control pain. So for instance, when you take your allele, take some Tylenol as well. This will then help alleviate pain in two different channels and may help you to sleep better. My Flexion is at 100 both knees and 0 both knees. Stranger than fiction I am using a heated rice bag on my knees. My doc doesn’t know but I “gotta tell ya,” it helps me tremendously. If I use heat before I do my exercises my knees are already “warmed up” and I can move more smoothly and with more ability to stretch my limits without pain. I know I shouldn’t advocate heat as it goes against the grain but I am finding that since I started this about 8 days ago, I have progressed more rapidly and I feel like I am making solid progress as I will have to go back to work in the not-too-distant future. It sounds like you are doing well if you are doing housework! My hubby is taking care of those things for me but I finally stated cooking dinners again, thank heavens, so that is a plus. Keep up the good work, DebCoz. We’re on the mend!

@Jayla sounds like you are having a great recovery. As far as the heat goes I say do what works for you. My PT who is wonderful using the TENS machine on me with some heat before activity and it seems to work great. I will be 8 weeks on Tuesday and want to return to work soon. I hope you continue to see great progress!

Thanks @donnag1108. I felt like I had a slow start but now making noticeable progress. I think I will try to go back to work half-days after 8 weeks. Possible even to stay with half-days for 4 weeks so I can still get in an afternoon nap because I still seem to really need those!

I had my six week post op visit with my OS and he gave me the all clear. He’s happy with my ROM, etc. without PT and said barring any issues I won’t need to see him “for a few years”. I’m thrilled! I did ask him about my left knee (TKR 3/26/18) because I noticed a lump in the upper left part of the knee. Apparently it’s my knee cap where it’s supposed to be.

I really wish my surgeon had dismissed me early like that. I had a lot of checkups and they were so stressful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads