THR The fun part

When I woke up this morning, Santa had left me a present: Cane-free Walking alpha 0.5, featuring Full-House Roaming Technology(tm)! It was fun to play with for while, but other than making me more useful in the kitchen it turned out it was still just a toy, not meant for the real world. The old stability issues exist - when I walked, I could feel my left hip dipping, hard. Tiring, and felt wrong in that "stop stop for heavens' sake stop" kind of way. So not that useful.

But I can't wait to see what the dev team has for me tomorrow!

Still early days for your latest hip! Cane free walking will come. Just give it time!

You're a wonderfully precious sweet delight, all I can say.
Your posts are like opening a present, I'm always excited to find what's within.
I hope your discomfort eases quickly and you have a great Wednesday!
@Bone-obo

Well, poopadelic craptastic non-luck: the ODIC came for me after all - not for the hip! Oh no, that would be too obvious! Nope, they nailed me for my knee. Sigh. Oh well, I'll ice tonight and see how it feels tomorrow.

On the lighter side, the sleep module seems to be running better - I've slept mostly thru the night the past 3.

You're a wonderfully precious sweet delight, all I can say.
Your posts are like opening a present, I'm always excited to find what's within.
High praise from a woman who's known to show a considerable sharpness of wit herself!

Do you have arthritis in your knee @Bone-obo ? Lucky me, I have a smidge.
PA let me know and I said "Oh, no...is it bad, will I need a replacement?"
She responded, "maybe when you're 90." Well, I've learned enough here to know they can't predict that.
So I'll just hang and see what happens. Hope you're SAFE.
I don't want to be Bionic, nuh uh, no, no, no! :praying:

Do you have arthritis in your knee @Bone-obo ? Lucky me, I have a smidge.
Yep, mostly caused by my former hip. I think I can maybe possibly somehow avoid TKR-Town if I can get the muscles around the knee in shape to protect it - that’s worked for me in the past. What happened this time I think is that there’re just too many new things to accommodate for in the new, longer leg at the moment, and the more complicated terrain I tried to walk yesterday caused a meltdown.

I don't want to be Bionic, nuh uh, no, no, no! :praying:
LOL! You and me both, sister!

When I woke up this morning, Santa had left me a present: Cane-free Walking alpha 0.5, featuring Full-House Roaming Technology(tm)! It was fun to play with for while, but other than making me more useful in the kitchen it turned out it was still just a toy, not meant for the real world. The old stability issues exist - when I walked, I could feel my left hip dipping, hard. Tiring, and felt wrong in that "stop stop for heavens' sake stop" !

Naughty Santa, delivering defective product to a child of tender years. My suggestion is that you convert to Judaism, and wait for Passover presents to be handed down, by which time i bet you will be as mobile and cane (and pain) free as soaring eagle. Jokes aside, this is my wish for you.

Sorry to hear about the knee, I hope it’s transitory. Wishing you strength comfort, and good humour.

My suggestion is that you convert to Judaism, and wait for Passover presents to be handed down, by which time i bet you will be as mobile and cane (and pain) free as soaring eagle.
:rotfl:

No hitting the ODIC playing with your dredle.

Merry Christmas, friend..and Sit Down!:reindeerlights:
Nobody listens to me!:umm:

Naughty Santa, delivering defective product to a child of tender years.
To be fair: the hip has performed and continues to perform admirably - I expect the Cane-free feature beta version to issued any day now.

Sorry to hear about the knee, I hope it’s transitory.
Not my first time at this particular rodeo, so it's almost certainly recoverable with time. How much time depends on how badly I screwed it up - I'm guessing this'll take a week or so of icing and kindness.

Nobody listens to me!:umm:
Not true! I listened! Then I did something completely different!

Alas, poor @mojo33! You're the Cassandra of Bonesmart!

Hey, @Bone-obo, hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Ours was fun, if exhausting, but all the presents we bought for our kids were greeted happily, the dinner items I prepared, while not haute cuisine, at least came to the table at the same time so everything at the proper temperature, and yesterday the house was cleaned and tidied from top to bottom so no shred of Christmas left. This is probably considered awful by some, who like to leave up and enjoy holiday décor for a bit longer, but by the evening of Christmas Day I am heartily sick of it and want it gone immediately. In prior years my husband hasn't been willing to agree to this, but as he's headed out of town this weekend, to the Rose Bowl (go, Dawgs!) he was willing to accede to my whiny request that we take stuff down, box it up and stow it in the attic yesterday. There is also almost continuous vacuuming as that miserable Christmas tree died a week or two ago, and has been sifting dry needles into the surrounding carpet (which then get tracked all over the house). Good news is it all got done but the bad news is I am an aching fool this morning. Was really hobbling yesterday and silently cursing my foolishness. It was my three month anniversary yesterday but three months is definitely NOT full healing and with an arthritic left hip, it was dumb to push myself so hard. But, intend to try to relax today (which will be possible now that no holiday ornamentation is bugging me) and curl up with a book.

Congrats on getting released, mostly, from the cane and trying out free style walking! You'll be graduating in no time to full walking around without anything. It is going to be great, I'm sure--a nice post-holiday gift for certain. Isn't "noh" a type of Japanese theatre? What does it taste like in custard form? I'm guessing, "interesting". Have a good day, stronger perhaps and a bit more confident. You're going to get there--just think, 2019 and fully recovered hips! I am hoping my right one is cruising towards full recovery and, if I can stop myself from being a total idiot, I hope left one hangs in there for as long as possible before--ugh--a second surgery is required.

The staples came out, so there's that. January 28 is the next milestone, whereupon all restrictions shall be lifted, all blood thinners made unnecessary, and the full potential of these magnificent lavender machines made manifest-ish.

While my hip is recovering nicely, enough stabilizer muscles got man-handled that I have persistent dipping on the op side when I hobble. That's a bit of a bummer - it may take a month or more for these to start coming online, and in the mean time, walking is going to be a continuing hazard to my poor half-gone knee. Ah, well, it'll just make it all the sweeter when I do get full mobility back.

the dinner items I prepared, while not haute cuisine, at least came to the table at the same time so everything at the proper temperature
We ate at my inlaws', and at one point before dinner, my normally calm brother-in-law went full Gordan Ramsay, barking instructions to my niece and scurrying around trying to get the food plated and on the table. It's challenging!

that miserable Christmas tree died a week or two ago, and has been sifting dry needles into the surrounding carpet (which then get tracked all over the house)
Yah, I hate that. We had this discussion about trees years ago, and ultimately went for artificial trees, preferably something kitschy.

Was really hobbling yesterday and silently cursing my foolishness.
3 months is NOT a lot time for full-on entertaining like this! Glad you've got some time to put your feet up!

Isn't "noh" a type of Japanese theatre? What does it taste like in custard form?
It is indeed, and it tastes like a very, very bad pun.

I hope left one hangs in there for as long as possible before--ugh--a second surgery is required.

Belated Merry Christmas @Bone-obo! I think the second time around we just want to be done with it all, so push harder. I do believe things come along faster second time around. I was confused by my leaving the one crutch around, forgetting it here and there, and practiced walking up and down the hall without support, ending up with hip flexor and quad pain! Called my physio as wasn't due to see him, and he had said call between appointments if I had any questions....and he said that as soon as I tire and limp that I should get back on to an assisted device...but the strength will slowly build. I'm a one crutch to walking pole gal, and by-passed the cane completely. I found it way too wobbly...just what worked for me.....but I have heeded the physio's advice and it has been to my body's benefit!!

I'm sorry to hear about your knee kicking up. I had that last time too. I have no documented arthritis as yet...I'm sure there is some lurking in both, but I iced the knee and used the hiking poles and generally stayed the slow and steady course...and the knee pain/tightness faded away....very strange! @Jaycey was very supportive of this. Also, I found walking correctly on my feet, heel to toe, really helped/helps the knee pain. I found it was an indicator of me not heel toeing it and a great reminder. This time I have knee bruising and numbness! I have done the ice thing and it has helped, with time. Have NO idea what that was about....the dislocation process? First time it was on outside of knee. This time it has been on inside of knee. Variety is the spice of life right?!! It has almost resolved, and I'm six weeks post op tomorrow, Friday.

As for the ODIC, it is so hard to avoid over Christmas. I was walking around the house like I'd never had surgery, on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day :flabber:, and was in my recliner with ice from knee to hips on both legs by Christmas night! Boxing Day was much of the same, with some gentle walking, but that was it. Today is much improved and hopefully if I can get some sleep tonight, I'll be back on track tomorrow. I'm sure many of us are in the same boat. It is very challenging to have the Christmas holiday season so soon after surgery. You are a super star to do so well two weeks out :bow: !

Wishing you an easy, back to normal rehab ow, and with that a continued straightish moving forward in comfort recovery!!!
Onward to 2019 :cheers: . Good things await:egypdance::dancy::yay:

Good morning, @Bone-obo. Sorry to hear that stabilizer muscles are still not functioning properly, causing the dip/hobble when you walk. But cheer up, it's only going to get better with time and practice! I feel fortunate that, I think anyway, my muscles hadn't atrophied that significantly before surgery so post-surgery I quickly was able to walk normally by about 3 weeks. Of course, then my left, unoperated hip decided it had had enough of sitting around silently as it had been forced to do while right hip was acting up. I am constantly aware of it now and really want to work on strengthening those left side muscles to help relieve a bit of the ache. Sure, I know eventually a second surgery is in my future, but I'd love to put it off as long as possible. Although right hip surgery was, all things considered, surprisingly easy, I have zero interest in going through this again until I absolutely have to do so.

PS I want to be you and everyone else who is fortunate enough NOT to have to make holiday meals and instead gets to go to someone else's house and dine, even if it involves listening to G. Ramsey do his thing! I don't know what it is about holiday meals. I am not a great cook, but I'm not a terrible one either. Somehow my holiday meals are never up to snuff and they are, at best, mediocre. But I need to remind myself that, yes, it's all about family gathering around the table for good chat and cheer, and not about the food. As long as it's not poisoning anyone (!) it's okay. Still, I do get frustrated!

First the important news: the custard flavor tonight was chocolate chip cookie dough.

Glad to say that a day of icing and limited walking seems to have solved the knee problem. Whew! I've had them before, and they can be a bear to get rid of! Did some light walking at the mall, then a lap at the outdoor shopping center this evening (hence the frozen custard), and when I got home, started messing with going carelessly caneless around the house. I would say that Cane-free alpha 0.9 is currently installed - it has to be up to at least the beta 1.0 release before I take it outdoors. Maybe tomorrow! (It was about this time I was transitioning off the cane last time, too.)

This time I have knee bruising and numbness! I have done the ice thing and it has helped, with time. Have NO idea what that was about....the dislocation process? First time it was on outside of knee. This time it has been on inside of knee. Variety is the spice of life right?!! It has almost resolved, and I'm six weeks post op tomorrow, Friday.
The dislocation process seems too remote for the timing of knee pain, though, doesn't it? I mean, when I've frelled up my knee on the trike, I KNOW it pretty much immediately, and it's swollen all to heck and gone by the next day. The pattern for THR is 6-10 days before the soreness kicks in - what's up with that?!?

Wishing you an easy, back to normal rehab ow, and with that a continued straightish moving forward in comfort recovery!!!
Thanks! Yeah, compared to Hip #1, this hip's been on a pretty linear trajectory! I'm liking it!

Of course, then my left, unoperated hip decided it had had enough of sitting around silently as it had been forced to do while right hip was acting up. I am constantly aware of it now and really want to work on strengthening those left side muscles to help relieve a bit of the ache.
Good call! Always good to make the old equipment work as long as possible! That said, wouldn't it be nice to have 2 fully functional hips to bop around on? Especially as busy as you are!

I am not a great cook, but I'm not a terrible one either.
That's +1 for you over my brother-in-law.

As long as it's not poisoning anyone (!) it's okay. Still, I do get frustrated!
I'll bet you're better than you think! You strike me as someone who likes to get things right, so it's hard to imagine your cooking is less than delicious! How's it received by your family?

Good morning, @Bone-obo. To answer your question, my family generally will cheerfully eat whatever is served, but that doesn't mean anything really. I am sure my whole dissatisfaction with holiday meals can be attributed to one big thing--I hate cooking meats of any kind! It's not that I don't like meat, it's just that I simply can't seem to find a recipe(s) that works well. I am perfectly comfortable with casseroles or stir fries, but something those don't shriek "holiday food" to me, and every year I try a different meat recipe and every year I am highly disappointed. I am actually--gasp--thinking that next year I'll make baked ziti. I have a decent recipe for that so maybe I just need to give up the pretense that cooking big pieces of meat is something to attempt. And surely baked ziti with a nice salad would be holiday-ish, with bright red and green colors? But never mind, I have a whole year to obsess about this and many, many more important issues to worry over. Did make it to the gym yesterday for a s-l-o-w and very short workout. Trying to repair the damage I did on Wednesday by starting out, once again, slowly to build up time and resistance on the elliptical. Will do PT exercises this morning, no gym. I CAN do this, I know...

Have a great Saturday, and I hope unassisted walking continues to increase and feel comfortable. And I'm sure it's a relief that the knee seems better. Left hip feeling better today with just a bit of ache so definitely an improvement. We are all, I think, trying to figure out what works best for our particular situations and press forward.

carelessly caneless

You crack me up!

The dislocation process seems too remote for the timing of knee pain, though, doesn't it?

No, not to me anyway. On day 17 post op, I woke to a bruised, stiff, mildly painful knee. It took that long for me. It resolved pretty quickly though as I recall.

Whelp, the knee pain came back, only in the ITB, so I took it slow today. I'm not discouraged or disappointed - okay, that was half a lie: I'm disappointed, because this is certainly going to affect how soon the Devilstick and I part ways. But I've got a plan on how to deal with it: light walks on flat, level ground to keep the blood moving, use the cane everywhere, and ice^3. If I can get it all under control for 3 days running, I may try finding something at the gym that'll gently work more muscles in my leg.

Both my knee issues appeared to be so random!
I'm trying to figure out reasons for mine, but I have to consider that, like yours, mine are random. Which just makes anything I decide is successful superstition. But whatever.

I hate cooking meats of any kind!
Meats are hard! So many variables! (This coming from a non-chef whose signature achievement is a scrambled egg.)

And surely baked ziti with a nice salad would be holiday-ish, with bright red and green colors?
Can I come over to your house next year? Sounds yummy!

Did make it to the gym yesterday for a s-l-o-w and very short workout. Trying to repair the damage I did on Wednesday by starting out, once again, slowly to build up time and resistance on the elliptical. Will do PT exercises this morning, no gym. I CAN do this, I know...
Smart - I like your patience.

We are all, I think, trying to figure out what works best for our particular situations and press forward.
So true!

On day 17 post op, I woke to a bruised, stiff, mildly painful knee. It took that long for me. It resolved pretty quickly though as I recall.
17 days? I just don't understand why there's such an extended delay in the surgery was the cause. I mean, if it is, that's cool. I just want to understand how all that works.

That was the one issue I didn't have...knee pain. So I'm not any help.
New hip, different gait?
Insufficient cane use?
I do hope it feels better soon.
Ice it up also!
Hope you have a good Sunday, @Bone-obo

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads