Bilateral THR Made it!!

Happy Monday :wave:
Sorry to read you're still struggling. Wish it wasn't so.
Josephine has mentioned it can take several weeks to recover from a set-back.
I'd give PT a rest until you get it under control. Consider trying the BIG TIP of walking as your only
form of exercise. PT isn't going anywhere, you can always go back at a later date.
Let us know how Thursday goes. Wishing you comfort in the interim.
Hope today is a good one. :SUNsmile:
@stellaluna

Hi @Layla- Yeah PT released me a couple weeks ago. I had been doing the exercises on my own.
I did walking only last week; yes maybe I'll have to continue that only. I figure my muscles wont atrophy/weaken that quickly! It's just so frustrating. The walking is what bothers me. Anyways fingers crossed for Thursday..

I wonder if Josephine could weigh in with some of her amazing wisdom?
Josephine- if you do see this. My question pertains to discomfort I am experiencing right in the front of my thighs (both) . I am 16 weeks post op today, bilateral anterolateral THR.

When I wake up in the morning, initially I am fine. After about 30/45 min of moving around I begin to experience what can best be described as really sore thigh muscles when I walk. Sitting and standing still, no issues. I cut out activity all last week (like 7 days) and just did short leisurely strolls. It really did not seem to make a difference. I do notice Advil seems to help with alleviating the soreness. Was released from physical therapy a couple weeks ago so no longer going but was doing the exercises on my own. (There were way too many of them - exercises- I will say).

I hope it's just still angry muscles that need time to calm down. But this only came on a couple weeks ago. I pray the implant stems are ok. I am seeing my Dr on Thursday for a follow up on this.

But am wondering what your thoughts might be? Could it be the implants giving me trouble? Or do you think it might be more like angry muscles? Would appreciate any insight you might have.

Last edited:
Let me tag her for you else she might not notice... @Josephine?

Hi @stellaluna Great to hear from you but sorry you are concerned with your walking, are experiencing sore thigh muscles and have some specific weaknesses. It will be helpful to hear what Josephine has to say about it all. She always gives such great advice. I will be looking for her response too, as it is helpful for the rest of us. Hopefully you'll get a good idea of what to focus on and what to put aside. Good that you are seeing your doctor this week as well. Keep us posted on what you learn. Thinking of you!

:flwrysmile:

sooo.....
I went to the surgeon today . They took xrays and thank goodness the implants look just fine. no issues with them at all; bone seems to be growing in/filling in nicely.
When I got off the table , my surgeon said "are you limping?" :bawl: I was like, Um ya that's cuz my legs are sore!! He said , and I still don't understand this,, that it could be coming from my back? He seemed a little perplexed if you ask me, he asked me to touch my toes- no prob there! But I am seeing my chiro Monday anyway. Maybe he can help on that .

My feeling was this, we don't really know why I am having the soreness in the legs; they put me on an anti inflammatory meds and -get this- fosamax once a week. I do know my mom has osteoporosis; maybe this is the reason. They told me that studies have shown fosamax post implant can stimulate bone growth, bla bla bla. To be honest my head was spinning when I left there. So much information!

MY gut tells me this is soreness due to my changed gait and the increase in activity. But I dont know if that's for the sure the reason, and it's frustrating. I guess I just want straight answers, yet I dont know if anyone has them. Argh! I guess in the meantime, scale back the PT exercises, take at least 2 rest days a week, and go from there.

I guess in the meantime, scale back the PT exercises, take at least 2 rest days a week, and go from there.
This should help see if you need just a bit more time and your legs are complaining...I think your gut may be right but it will take a concerted effort to dial things back.
Wishing you the best, @stellaluna
Do let us know what the chiropractor thinks.
The holidays are upon us!:chris-win:

You are welcome!
It has been barely four months you know...and like myself...you kind of got to it and kept going.
We had two big surgeries at once and in the grand scheme of it, for months is still early days.
Take a sabbatical...you can get back to it slowly and not gain whatever you think you've lost quickly, in my opinion.
Tis the season...let's be Jolly!:tree lights:

Mine too..hey, we were just so glad to get rid of that bonecrunching pain...sometimes we can't help ourselves.
Doesn't help that often it doesn't hurt until we stop!:unsure:
Hard to figure out how much is too much.
Trial and error:shrug:

You will get it worked out...relax and chill.
Not too far out for :ice: and :sleeep:

Hello @stellaluna - I'm checking in for my 6 month anniversary as I haven't been on BSmart for awhile. I hope that your legs and back are feeling better and your recovery is improving. I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and sending some healing vibes to you! :friends:

I hope it's just still angry muscles that need time to calm down.
I think that's the best bet. It never ceases to amaze me how doctors always seem to navigate towards really serious issues and ignore the more obvious ones! I think it's unlikely to be osteoporosis.
fosamax once a week
I wouldn't ever take that. I's an evil drug. Have you ever read the side effects?

Hello @Josephine !! Thanks for taking the time to respond I really appreciate it, I so value your advice/input.

I have been on anti-inflammatories almost a week now and I will say it's a LOT better! Plus taking a couple of complete rest days a week- I tend to overdo it. Oh and icing after activity always feels good.

As far as the Fosomax, yes I did read about it... :bolt: I asked about the benefits of taking it, and here is the response I got: "We use the Fosamax in very short term treatments to help with the bone around the stem and may decrease pain. It is beneficial after hip replacement (it is also beneficial in osteoporosis but we leave that kind of treatment up to the PCPs)"

They have me on it for 3 months-taking it once a week. What are your thoughts on this? Am curious. I have not done it yet but was thinking of emailing my Primary about this. Though she is trying to get my mom (who is also a patient of hers) , who has osteoporosis, back on it, needless to say Mom is fighting her on this.

We use the Fosamax in very short term treatments to help with the bone around the stem
That's the policy of a poor surgeon! If he's prepared and dealt with the implantation of the implants, he should need something as dreadful as Fosemax to do his job for him.
I so value your advice/input
My advice is - I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!
needless to say Mom is fighting her on this
Good for her!

@Josephine -thnx for the input. I have emailed my primary as well to let her know. I am seriously thinking of NOT taking it.
The Dr showed me the xrays- the stems look good. I wished I had gotten a copy of them . He said "there is no shadow" between the bone and the stem. I dont know if I am communicating this properly but I hope it makes sense. There is that part of me that is just- still not comfortable with taking this medication!

:wave:@stellaluna, I am hoping with the backing off a bit and uping the icing that you are starting to see a difference. Fingers and toes are crossed for you that you begin to see a shift and you are limping less and are more comfortable.
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back