THR Getting mixed messages on PT after THR<

@Debru4 - I too live in Colorado and am very familiar with those wild temperature swings. Though I am only 10 days out from my 2nd THR, I am 6 months out from my 1st THR. I had a real problem in October when our weather turned cold - I was FREEZING and could not get warm. I don't recall having actual pain in the healing leg though. I wear shorts year around but on those days, I had to give in and wear leggings. My husband was shocked. Now that I am at home recovering from hip #2, I find myself covering up with an electric blanket while I'm icing (I know, pretty ridiculous) but I'm cold. We've been keeping the heat up higher in the house, I no longer sleep with the ceiling fan on and the window is closed (my to my husband's relief).

I have hardware in my left hip because I had a fracture that we was repaired 8/1/18. I attributed my reaction to the cold to that "claw" and wiring. I am supposed to be getting that hardware out sometime in the next 6 weeks or so (it really bothers me).

Nice to know there's another Coloradan on here! Be careful out there on those icy roads and sidewalks!
Kim

If there's any truth to that info I found and posted above, it sounds like any unfavorable sensations you're experiencing with weather changes won't last forever. Good news!

It doesn't seem surprising to me that we might feel a change since we have a prosthetic imbedded in our leg. I don't recall that I've experienced a difference but I do know this subject has been discussed here. It probably wouldn't be too bothersome but it sounds like you experience quite a jump in pain. Hopefully some OTC meds help get you through. Especially when you're traveling to the Dominican Republic next week.

Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving and safe travels to spend time with your son. Take Care.
@Debru4

My PT explained the whole “weather sensing prosthetic” thing like this, not sure if he is right, but it solute sounded like it made sense. When the weather changes, the air pressure changes. High pressure, like when it is sunny, causes bone and muscles to be compressed, like when you use a compression wrap, by the added air pressure. With low pressure, the reverse happens (muscles and bone decompress).

The changes in compression is what we feel like the pressure build on and release when we take off and land in a plane. He said that we feel it in the new joint because that area is still healing and is extra sensitive.

Like I said, I do not know if he is right, but it made sense to me. The airplane analogy really hit home. I always feel the pressure release on takeoff, and build up on landing... so maybe there is something to his explanation.

Cheers

@Layla When I went to visit my son last February when my hip was really bad before surgery, I actually felt a bit better than I did in CO. However, now that I have the implant, it may be different. I think it will be interesting to observe and try to see which factors seem to affect it and which don't. I plan to do a bit more reading as well and to think positively, that this will not be lifelong, at this pain level, because it was so similar to my pre-surgery pain I nearly broke down and took a Tramadol, which I haven't had since 2 weeks out. If it happens again, I will take one.

@NanaKP I have not felt the cold sensations more just that huge spike in pain from hip to knee for 2 days solid. A friend did mention that her titanium implant is impacted by the cold that they actually feel chilled as you described. Maybe my still swollen tissues reacted differently at 3 months out. Where do you live in CO?

wonkyhipoy Thanks for sharing the info from your Dr. I think it does make sense. There is a good news/bad news in that info, good news to have a possible explanation. Bad news, because if it's true, it worries me it may happen often, and I did not enjoy that one bit! Either way, I always feel better with information :) I plan to research more and I'll share if I learn more.

I assume it has something to do with the weather but for some reason I thought my surgeon had said I would no longer have arthritic pain in that hip since it was replaced.
If you think about it, this was most definitely NOT arthritic pain, just muscle pain. Not sure about wonkyhipoy's explanation, there are many of those around and some make sense but most don't.

In my opinion, it's nothing to do with the implants 'feeling the cold', just the newly traumatised soft tissues feeling it. Either way, it's of no significance at all and will pass. And in time, even that won't happen again.

If it happens again, I will take one (a Tramadol).
That's a bit over the top! I'd sooner recommend you take Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day. Much better!

@Debru4 - I feel for you, that sudden pain sounds alarming (& disheartening). Are you worried about the flight to the DR? I am assuming your doc is all fine with the trip. I envy you being on a beach, sounds lovely. My mom lives in FL so once I am all cleared this Spring, I intend on going to visit her and dig my toes into the sand.

I live in Aurora, CO (southeast Aurora). We've lived here for 35 years, moved here from northern IL - winters here are MUCH easier than what we grew up in but shhhhhh, don't let that out! What part do you live in?

Kim

@Josephine ---I didn't express my thoughts very well when I said I wasn't prepared for the pain since the dr. said I would no longer have "arthritic pain". Clearly I have no arthritis since the hip is gone:) But what I meant was that I somehow thought that meant I would no longer have pain in that area, as I did before. Obviously I hadn't thought it through, and didn't realize how long it took the muscles and tissue around the area to heal. Still learning.

The pain I had with the ripping/tearing a few weeks ago was high, but infrequent. The pain I had earlier this week was constant. I did take the larger doses of tylenol but still struggled with pain and with bearing weight for those 2 days. My thought was that if it happened again I might take a tramadol at night.

Something I am not clear about, is in a case like this, do I ice, or use heat? For this, icing didn't really help. Now I am wondering if I should have tried heat? For back pain I find heat helps. Your thoughts, and how do I know which to use?

@NanaKP I live in Loveland, so not far from you at all. Grew up in Colorado and have lived in Northern Colorado almost all of my life. I agree that the winters are not horrendous----have relatives from Minnesota and Iowa who deal with worse. What I think is unique about where we live are the huge swings in weather. When my hip was so bad the year before surgery I became more aware of how often the swings affected my joints. It sounds like within a year or so, when all of the healing in that area has occurred, it may not be such an issue anymore. Fingers crossed. I still am hoping it was just a fluke! Several weeks ago I was having a lot of ripping, searing pain around the incision that worried me, but it was infrequent, and only lasted a couple weeks. This did get my attention as it was non-stop. Weather changing again tonight and tomorrow...........

Yes, my doctor cleared me to travel. I'm not really worried, although I'm not sure what to expect. There are going to be a number of new factors thrown in, so I"ll see. I hope you heal quickly, and well, so you can make it to Florida and the beach this spring!!!

Just returned home from my trip to the Dominican Republic to visit my son over Thanksgiving. The plane trips (4 legs) went so much better than my travel last summer with my bad hip! The change in elevation/barometric pressure between Colorado, New York, and the Dominican Republic seemed to have no effect on my hip---it was a great trip! I was able to walk pain free 2-3+ miles each day----what gift the hip replacement was.

The one issue I continue to have is the pain and stiffness when I sit, both for short and for longer times. It takes me up to a minute or two to work out the pain, stabilize, and get moving after I sit. That is a very small problem, however, and I am optimistic it will keep improving. I am feeling so grateful this Thanksgiving.

Now that I am back in Colorado, I also will be curious how the changes in our local weather/barometric pressure affect my hip. The multiple days of pain that happened before I left on my trip when it snowed, and the temperatures dropped so severely really worried me. I am so hopeful that was a fluke!

Thanks for the update!
It's great to read about how well the flights went and of your ability to walk 2-3 mi per day while there.

Where is the pain that you have after sitting? We can ask Josephine to weigh in if you'd like. I'll leave that decision up to you. It could be that you still have many months of healing to go. You're only coming up on four months and it can take a full year, even longer for some. I'm sure it will gradually ease.

I hope you have a great weekend!
@Debru4

@Layla---I have mentioned the pain earlier in this thread, and Josephine seemed to feel it had to do with overdoing and healing. I understand better from all of you how much time total healing takes. A friend who has had hip replacement and multiple revisions said this still happens to her sometimes.

It only happens when I sit, whether for 2 minutes or twenty, and doesn't seem to be worse if I walk a lot in a given day or not. It doesn't hurt when I actually am sitting---just when I stand to walk.

I feel it in my knee, and up the side of my leg into my upper leg/lower back over the hip on the right side. It's just really stiff, and hurts to bear weight for up to 1 minute or so. I don't feel super stable when it happens, and can't just charge off walking like I typically would before this. Once I stand a minute, kind of plant myself and stretch a bit, and then start walking it is gone.

I had my knee Xrayed at the same time as my hip last year as I had knee pain then too. The knee looked great, with minimal arthritis, so they felt the knee pain was hip related. Except for when I sit and then stand, there is never knee pain.

They also did an MRI of my back at that time to rule out back issues as I'd had back surgery 9 years ago. There were no large changes on the MRI from 9 years ago, although I suppose some of the pain I am feeling could be back related. Is this type of pain something you have heard others bring up?

I have iced, but more of a general thigh/hip icing. I may just do the knee for a few days and see if it makes a difference. How long would you wait to check in with your doctor if you were having this particular pain?

I always appreciate your advice, and reassurance---just curious what your occupation is---something in a helping profession I'd suspect:) How did you get into this role in the Forum?

:hi:
It's just really stiff, and hurts to bear weight for up to 1 minute or so. I don't feel super stable when it happens, and can't just charge off walking like I typically would before this. Once I stand a minute, kind of plant myself and stretch a bit, and then start walking it is gone.

This sounds very normal recovering hip stuff (was for me)
Those "stiff and discomfort upon rising" and "stutter steps" symptoms were not unusual up to 6 months with one of my legs...:unsure:

Glad your trip went well and I too feel grateful for this surgery.:yahoo:

I always appreciate your advice, and reassurance---just curious what your occupation is---something in a helping profession I'd suspect
I think Layla used to be an angel :angel: but felt the position was too lofty!:heehee:

That, Mojo, she's a funny one. She makes me laugh.

I'm sure Josephine is right because we so often hear it takes up to a full year for recovery.
That gives you quite a bit of time for things to ease and settle since you're only three months post op.
If it begins to bother you mentally, more than physically, please phone the office of your OS as I'm sure they could offer you reassurance. I've heard of the "stutter steps" that Mojo mentioned above often enough. Possibly even some discomfort that goes along with that, but don't recall specifically any instances, or members that have mentioned it. Everyone has a different way of expressing pain and discomfort so it's hard to speculate at times.

Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot. I'm retired, which affords me the time to assist where I'm able on the forum. I've had the good fortune to have exchanges with many wonderful people here and enjoy the commaraderie. The position of FA is extended by invitation of Admin. I'm ever grateful for the opportunity and thankful they've put their trust in me.

I hope you have a lovely weekend!
@Debru4

Thanks for your response @Mojo333. I appreciate your feedback---seems like you have had some of the same post surgery experiences that I have had, and that always helps to hear:) "Stutter steps"---pretty accurate term;)

I typically have a high pain tolerance level, and that has created problems for me a few times in the past when I've waited too long. As you have mentioned in earlier comments to me, the uncertainty about which things to be concerned with, and which things I just need to let run their course is pretty normal.

When I hit the 6 month mark (still a ways off as @Layla mentioned), I will contact my doctor if I still have the same issue, to see if he has any thoughts about whether it may be related to hip, or to back/something else.

As a relative newbie to the forum, I would agree with your assessment about @Layla (a retired angel???).

And you....super supportive and helpful as well!! Much appreciated. Happy weekend to all.....

@Josephine---another follow up question for you. You said that hips don't get adhesions. That makes sense to me in terms of the actual hip joint, but aren't adhesions around the incision a possibility wherever you have an incision, particularly a large one that goes so deeply through tissue? So much to learn about all of the moving parts in this area:)

I want to thank @Layla, @Mojo333, and @Josephine, as well as so many others for all of the support, information, and encouragement you have given me in the 4½ months since I had my hip replacement surgery on August 3, 2018.

I am so happy that I had this surgery---it was life changing. I also am so appreciative that I had some kindred spirits to help me reach this point. I have a ways to go, but know that thanks to this forum, I will have the help and support I need to get there! Thanks again to everyone who has helped me, and a very Merry Christmas to all!❤️

:reindeerlights: You are so welcome...and I too found the forum to be such a life line during my recovery!
I had never participated in any online chat rooms and barely facebook.
Having a community of folks who have been there to allay fears, offer advice, or just virtually hug me through the hard times made a huge impact on my recovery.

Hope your holidays are bright!
It's going to get better and better!
:dancing:

@Debru4....thank you so much for taking the time to let us and the others out there who read this know that BoneSmart was a valuable resource for you with your hip surgery and recovery. We have the best staff! They are largely volunteers who willingly give of their time in our effort to "be there" for people out there who face joint replacement surgery.

But while the staff may donate their time and expertise to BoneSmart, there are still many requirements to keep our forum and website going that require actual cash such as servers, technicians, programmers and the resources we expend to conduct our annual Joint Replacement Awareness Day (coming up May 14, 2019). Since BoneSmart was obviously a help to you, please consider making a donation to help us continue our work using the green Donate Now button at the bottom of the page. We depend on contributions from our members like you to continue giving education and support to those who are following you in surgery.

@Jamie---actually I have made a donation:) Not as big as I'm sure the Forum could use, but I'm sure many can relate to the challenges of being retired, and having "out of this world" medical expenses. A good friend of mine always reminds me that if everyone does a little bit, together we can make it work! Thanks for the reminder for all of us, to give back to this incredibly helpful group!❤️

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks