THR Jaydub63 port side recovery

@jaydub63 - I'm glad to hear from one of my December surgery buddies! I love hearing that you're doing well and out having fun doing everything you couldn't do before! This is my younger son's senior year in high school - I'm trying to enjoy it before he heads off on his own. How much longer for your daughter?

@SaraK Great to hear from you! I was just catching up on your journey...sorry to hear your psoas is making life difficult. I'm sure that is cramping your style but you'll get it figured out - you're a great advocate for yourself!

My daughter is starting her junior year in college - she's in the marching band at the University of Michigan, which is in the town we live in so she's close by. Before the home games (7 this year!) we (and a bunch of other parents) put on a tailgate for her instrument section (37 hungry college students). It's a bit of a production with lots of tents and tables and food but the kids really appreciate it since the game days are really looooong for them.

I remember the stress of senior year, with essays, getting applications done, keeping grades up, etc. If I remember it sounded like your son had a pretty good idea what he wants to study, which makes it a littler easier. I hope it goes well for the both of you!

I meant to get this posted earlier, but today (in the US) was "National Prescription Drug Take Back Day," intended to provide a safe way to dispose of prescription medication. I gladly took back the oxy I had leftover from my THR. There were several designated sites in my area and the one I went to also had volunteers collecting information about use of the drugs coming back - why it was prescribed, how much was left over, etc. (all anonymous). Just a good reminder to dispose of any left over medication in a responsible way, especially opioids.

It was a cool (40's) and drizzly day, but I gladly headed out for a run. Prior to my hip going south I probably would have thought it was too cold, or wet, to go out, but now I'm grateful to be able to do it regardless of the weather. I'm signed up to do a local turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning, my first official race since my surgery. It's a very family-friendly event, in fact a lot of people run it wearing Thanksgiving-inspired costumes (not me!). I figure it's enough of a challenge doing it with a fake hip without also wearing a turkey costume! :chuckmarch:

@jaydub63 :wave:
So glad to "see" you.
Yay for taking the time and effort to dispose of unneeded opioids!
It takes a village!

Look at you...doing the Turkey Trot too!
Onward and upward Friend!:loveshwr:

Last edited:
Nice to hear from you @jaydub63
Thanksgiving Turkey Trotting you'll be. Awesome! Can't believe we're only weeks away from Thanksgiving already. And in just a little over a month, you'll be celebrating your one year anniversary. Time sure flies. Great to see you're back living life.
Stay in touch and enjoy the week!

@Layla Indeed this year has flown by! Last week I called to make my appointment for my 1 year check up, and it makes one pause and take stock. My life is so much different than just one year ago, and all of it positive. Thanks to you and @Mojo333 and so many others for always having an encouraging word for us hippies!

Aww, we thank you! It's been our pleasure.
Thank you for all of your positive contributions to the forum over the past year. It's much appreciated.
Let us know how your one year post op goes.
We'd love to hear the good news!
Hugs
@jaydub63

So glad things are going so well for you @jaydub63 . I'm glad you were able to get back to running! I've never been a runner but the best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it, so I've been considering asking the OS at my 1 year check how he feels about hippies running (it seemed silly to ask before when I was trying to figure out how much I'd be able to walk - especially since running would put more stress on the psoas).

I was very happy to see you've gotten relief from the injection and are ramping back up to your usual warp speed @SaraK ! I'll be curious to hear what your OS says about running if you decide to ask. I didn't ask prior to my surgery since I was focused on just being able to walk without pain, and most of what I had read advised against running after THR. It seems highly variable by surgeon, like so many other things about this experience. My OS told me about an ultra-marathoner who had a THR, but I'm not quite shooting for that extreme lol. A few miles around my neighborhood 2-3 times a week are good enough for me.

I'm probably being pretty conservative about it - not running 2 days in a row and mixing it up with other low or non-impact exercise. I've been taking a cardio dance class this fall, which has been a good complement to running, but has truly shown that I can't dance! I would probably do better if I had an adult beverage (or 2) before class.

I was very happy to see you've gotten relief from the injection and are ramping back up to your usual warp speed @SaraK !
..Me too, for first part
Not so much for second part.:umm:
:beg:be cautious.
Want no discomfort for my hippy pals.

Last edited:
Quick post-Thanksgiving update - the Turkey Trot was a success! The plan was to run with my hubby, but he woke up with a stiff back and didn't think he could run. I went by myself and was very happy with how I did. I didn't pay attention to my time during the race and was pleasantly surprised when I looked it up later. I was hoping for something under 35 minutes and did 34:03 for 18th in my age group. I'll take it! Not bad for a "mature" lady with a fake hip.

After a hot shower it was time to cook the bird and serve dinner at my house - we only had 6 people this year but it seems to produce the same amount of mess regardless! It was also my daughter's 20th birthday, so there was a candle in her pumpkin pie.

I hope all the US Bonesmarties had a great holiday...and everyone else had a great Thursday!

Congrats on the Turkey Trot, you did well! Thanks for updating, it's an inspiration to others.
Less than two weeks till your one year anniversary. So....... Happy Anniversary!
I'll never remember in 13 days. Obviously all must be well with your hip. :yay:
Hope you have a nice holiday season!
@jaydub63

Congrats on your run! Getting back to your life is what it's all about!

Whoa @jaydub63 - I am SOOOOOO happy to read that you ran the Turkey Trot. Congratulations to you! I'm going to go read the rest of your thread. I told my husband "look, there's a hippy right here who had a TLHR last December and she ran the Turkey Trot this year"!!!!!!! He KNOWS that it is one of my deep down goals to return to running (jogging?) someday.

Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with family (& a birthday celebration) as well. The tail gating for your college student sounds AMAZING, fun-filled and great memories being made.

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for giving this recent double-hippy hope!

:yay: So happy for you my friend!
I was hoping for something under 35 minutes and did 34:03 for 18th in my age group. I'll take it! Not bad for a "mature" lady with a fake hip.

:running:

Happy happy hippiversary! One year and literally running around and enjoying life yet you always find the time to stop by and provide encouragement to others! Still glad to be "stuck in the middle with you." .Take some time today to sit back and savor the difference in how you feel physically and mentally now versus before the op,:happydance::yay: :spin::dancy::loveshwr::happyfeet:

Thank you @SaraK ! I savor the way I feel now every day. It has been amazing to get back to feeling like myself again, instead of the prematurely 90-year old version.

I have my dance class tonight, and even though I'm not very good at it, I wouldn't even have tried taking it before the op. Just one of many examples of how life is back to "normal" for me thanks to my new hip (although I guess it's not so new anymore). I will make a toast to my hardware tonight for sure! :beer:

Happy One Year Anniversary!
Whew, it seems that flew by.
Enjoy your dance class tonight as well as the toast to your hardware.
Warm wishes for Merry Christmas and Happy 2019!
@jaydub63

One Year?! Happy happy Hipversary.
Hope your holidays are full of comfort and joy!
:gbh:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks