THR Recovery begins-UK

Welcome to the other side. I'm glad your anxiety didn't get the best of you. Wishing you a smooth recovery :flwrysmile:

Welcome to Recovery! :welome:
Please find the Recovery Guidelines below. Stop by often, we'd love to support and encourage you on the journey.
Wishing you comfort as you begin to heal. :)

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to the other side! All done and dusted! Just keep reminding yourself this is more a marathon than a sprint. Slow and steady always works!

Failed miserably to get up on my feet yesterday, will try again today with the PT, it was just too painful, anyone else had this?

Welcome, Hattiecat!! Something I am learning is that these stories of people who walked outta there with no cane and no meds are few and far between. All they do is make us feel remedial!! I did walk with a walker the first day, but was rather inhibited. It’s a bit scary to put weight on this foreign object—especially when you know it’s only been attached to your body for a few hours!! So don’t worry if you couldn’t walk the first day. I would think that it is better to be safe than sorry. Tomorrow is another day!!

Hi.....I had a couple of false starts...felt a bit faint and didn't want to lift my non operated leg off of the ground. Found the walker really odd was much happier with crutches. Don't panic it will happen

Last edited:
Welcome to the recovery group. Everyones body is different so how surgery affects yours and what you can do is not in your control...so you cant fail miserably as will power doesnt work here.
Lots of great advice on here..wishing you well with recovery. 11 days in myself and learning

Take it easy there. It will work soon. Lots of things to be organised to support your pain relief and understanding how walking aids work. Waiting to hear your next update. Good luck.
:flwrysmile:

Failed miserably to get up on my feet yesterday, will try again today with the PT, it was just too painful, anyone else had this?
Absolutely! My backside was so sore on the non op side I could hardly move it across the bed. And the clenching the glutes and standing g almost impossible. I did manage to stand with a great deal of pain which I didn’t have when lying in bed with ice.

Turns out I was under medicated so, if you feel pain be stroppy and refuse to do the physio until they sort you out. I should have made a fuss earlier and would hate anyone else to go through that x

Hi :hi:
You didn't fail, you're only just beginning, take it slow and if at first you don't succeed, wait and try again.
Wishing you comfort and all the best as you begin healing. :)
@Hattiecat

:hi: @Hattiecat
Lots of trauma that leg is trying to overcome!
It takes the time it takes...but it will come.
Hope today is a good day!:SUNsmile:

I've had another pretty rotten day. Not eaten anything and spent all day in bed, just can't do what PT have been asking me to, also feel completely exhausted, worried that I should be up by now.

just can't do what PT have been asking me to
Reread the Big Tip at the end of the articles Layla left for you earlier. You are only 2 days out of major surgery. You should not be spending your energy on anything except icing, elevating and moving around just to and from the loo. Everything else can wait. Just say no to PT. If you need help with this here's a good article Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Sending hugs :tada: your way and wishing you patience and peace with your bodies healing journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks