THR Wonkyhipoy Recovery<<

Amazing! You should have posted a Warning - tissues needed.
Thank you for posting that video. Everyone should watch that.
It sure puts things in perspective and makes me ashamed of some of the
stupid things I complain about. Bless his heart....I guess where there's a will, there's a way.
I hope you have a lovely day! @wonkyhipoy

Thanks @lovesstars, @Barbaraj, @Lski, @Mojo333, and @Layla for the replies.

Layla - yes that video amazed me as well. It actually appeared in my LinkedIn wall thread... but I found it inspiring. Perhaps I’ll ask one of the admins if they think it could be put in the library.

Moj333 - thanks for poking for an update. It gets a little crazy for me being back to work and having a little one... so the reminder helps. Also, there is a radio show host here in Vancouver who’s nickname is the “Moj”. Always he him in the back of my head when reading your posts

Lski - hope your OS has good news for you. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Hi @wonkyhipoy really appreciate your posts and the feedback you have had from Josephine. Find the diagrams and videos (the guy with no legs is amazing!) enormously helpful in understanding the muscles and tendons etc.

I'll be at six weeks on Friday from RTHR and going to have LTHR three weeks from Friday (I'll be at week nine for the first hip by then). Although not an IT person, I too like numbers for rehab. From experiencing rehabbing horses, their rehab is very precise. I am trying to re-create that for myself in terms of my walking, so I know how to scale back if I have pushed it to far on any given day. The activities of daily living are challenging to factor in (particularly for you with a four year old!), and they are the ones that tip the scale I find. I am really trying to be mindful of what my body is telling me (after the fact, most of the time), in terms of going over the limit.
It seems to me that it is better to think about it all being a six month rehab vs. a three month rehab. It will be interesting to see how the second surgery affects the first surgery and in what way. More slow and steady wins the race.....but it is incredibly frustrating, this not being able to push it to get better faster...!

Wishing you the very best in your recovery and thank you again for your detailed posts! :SUNsmile:

Hi! My OS diagnosed me with bursitis & tendonitis. He prescribed a steroid anti-inflammatory and 4 weeks.of.PT 3X per week. I was disappointed as he left the room didn't return, so I didn't get all my questions answered. I'm going to send him a letter with my questions and express my disappointment in his not returning after saying wait here. I was quite frustrated. He didn't even explain my diagnosis, I went to webmd.com for a definition.

Last edited:
Ge’ez. That is really so disappointing, @Lski . Why oh why couldn’t he have given you more of an explanation?? I hope that you are okay...can move past this. I also hope the meds help the situation.
Sending a hug.

Hi all,

Just stopped by for a quick question. Was playing with my young one, lying on the floor this morning. I went to scoot my but forward and had pain on the lateral front side of the op leg upper thigh. I thought “that was weird”, so I decided to see if it was a one time thing. I lay flat on my back, both legs straight. Then with the op leg (still straight), pushed my heal into the grond. Big pain in the same spot. Next, tried to do a bridge ... same pain. What is odd is feeling the pain in the front of my thigh when pushing my body up into the bridge. Would have thought any pain would be felt in the butt.

Anyway, I was not told to do bridges, so I have never felt this before... but I know many of you have. Anybody experience this kind of pain (front of hip/leg) when doing bridges?

Cheers

Thanks @Jaycey,

Thanks for the response. I don’t actually do bridges... I must confess, I have always hated those darn things. I just thought it was odd that an exercise that works the glutes, would cause pain in the front of the hip.

Cheers

Just popping by as The Moj to see if you are feeling things are improving and hoping you are resting it up on this Sunday!
It is Sunny and 72F here in Georgia so it's going to be an outside day for me for sure.
Fishing and a few games of horseshoes!

Hi @Mojo333,

Thanks for checking in. Things are always improving I feel. My PT think I am behind in my recovery in terms of ROM... but ai has restrictions for the full three months, where other clients of his could start stretching past 90 and internal/external rotation at 6 weeks. I also had very limited range of motion for three years prior to my op. He is not concerned by it, and thinks that as I stretch things more now that restrictions are lifted, my ROM should increase quite quickly. I see my OS on the 20th. Normally it is only once at six weeks, and then a year unless there are concerns. But the ROM, lingering weakness in my adductors, and continued numbness in my thigh (posterior approach) had me concerned enough to book another follow up at three months (though it will be closer to 4 by then). I am not really concerned about my recovery at this point, and I booked the OS appointment about a month ago. But my OS is booking into Feb now accept for emergencies, so I figure I mind as well keep the appointment. Plus, they will be taking new x-rays, so I am looking forward to seeing the progress in terms of fixation and bone in growth.

All in all, thing a goof well I think. Halloween was a bit tough. I have about 40 stairs in my house from the bottom to top, and I went up and down them about 10 times in the space of about 30 minutes. I basically did a stair climber. Then took my young one out to trick or treat... we are on a hill, so you t is 10 steps to the very front door on our side of the street. I made it to three houses, then I was done. I could have done the other side of the street, but my young one wanted my wife to take her up the hill to where all the kids trick or treat. So I handed out candy... which was a blessing in disguise.

Cheers

Wow! You got a workout with the stairs on Halloween. It's good your wife took over for you or you may be worse off. Hopefully your appt with the OS on the 20th offers you some reassurance in regard to your progress. You'll have to let us know how it goes.
I hope you have a nice Sunday and great week to come!
@wonkyhipoy

Plus, they will be taking new x-rays, so I am looking forward to seeing the progress in terms of fixation and bone in growth.
Those X-rays were definitely reassuring to me also.
I kind-of miss doing the trick or treat thing now that my children are grown.
I might have to rent a kid next year... as I would charge a chaperone fee when I went...Hershey's Special dark minis were Mom's!

Not sure if I really need the reassurance (to be sure :heehee:). I have copies of every xray, MRI and bone scan I have ever had, so it will be nice to add to my collection.

I actually am feeling really good about my recovery. I just post my questions here because I am kind of obsessive about learning. I mean, sure, there is pain here and there, but I think I have a handle on it. I am just the type of guy that gets obsessive about the "why". Not "why am I in pain"... that I get... I had my hip turned into humpty dumpty (and all the kings horses and all the kings men, tramples all over my hip once again... lol)... but obsessives the specifics of the pain, and how the body works in general. What muscle, what nerve... is it a strain or inflammation... what moves cause it, which ones don't... lol. I find it fascinating. And oddly, the more I learn, the less the pain bothers me (again, it is not bad pain... annoying, sure... but not bad). That said, X-rays will be fascinating to see too.

Hey, here is a question, and perhaps @Josephine can chime in if you is not too busy. How much bone in growth should I expect to see at four months on an xray?

Oh, I should post a bit of an update. After a rough Halloween (too many stairs), the weekend was excellent. Took myself for a 4KM walk yesterday. Initially I had a goal of 2KM, but the hip didn't feel tired so I kept going. In total did 9KM yesterday (the rest spread out throughout the day... and a good portion of it was simply moving around the house). I expected to be in a lot of pain today, but in actuality, it was not really that bad. Only really sore when I first get up and start walking (I have heard that is common... but of course, now I am curious what everyone else will have to say about that). I followed up yesterday with a 2 KM walk this evening... but a total of 7KM for the day (it is amazing how much walking is involved when dropping your kid off at daycare... lol). Hip got tired a lot faster than yesterday, but that is to be expected.

Also, my weakness externally rotating (actually I think it is called lateral rotation... so leg and hip bent while sitting, and rotation the ankle up towards the ceiling... like when putting on socks) seems to be really improving. PT gave me one exercise (ball against a wall on the opposite site... push towards wall with op leg and do a ¼ squat). I have not done it much, but it is like it woke up the nerves and muscles or something. And now that my restrictions are off, I am pushing past 90 and doing external rotation (internal is a permanent restriction, so we'll see about that). But just a couple of days of stretching and my ROM is really improved from just a couple of days ago. I can put socks and shoes on again... yeah!

Anyway, that is all for now. But thanks for all the encouragement, advice, and experiences. Keep it coming... especially your own experiences. Fascinating!

Cheers,
Dave

I have noticed that you do have alot of knowledge about anatomy...I have enjoyed reading some of your posts regarding reason for pain on others threads.
I'm sure it is helpful for others to know Why as well.
Hey, here is a question, and perhaps @Josephine can chime in if you is not too busy. How much bone in growth should I expect to see at four months on an x-ray?
Will be looking forward to seeing Jo's reply but this article but our late nutritional advisor, Poppet says 40 weeks for bone repair.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/posts/525744/
Lots of interesting stuff on our library.

Last edited:
Great update @wonkyhipoy ! I can put my socks on too. Just!

I use a tennis ball against a wall to work into my sore muscles. Hurts at the time but does seem to help. That and massaging around the scar with E45 cream.

I am pushing past 90
90 degrees in which joint?

Also, you might like to know that external rotation is also lateral and internal rotation is also medial!

How much bone in growth should I expect to see at four months on an xray?
You shouldn't expect to see any! It takes quite a skilled eye to see the bone growth at all!

Ho @Josephine,

90 degrees in which joint?

My hip joint (op side). Basically, bring knees towards my chest.

Also, you might like to know that external rotation is also lateral and internal rotation is also medial!

It is just so darn confusing... lol

You shouldn't expect to see any! It takes quite a skilled eye to see the bone growth at all!

Sorry, I should have been more precise. I meant, how much should the surgeon (or your when I post the xray here) expect to see at 16 weeks?

Cheers

Assuming he has the skill to spot where the bone is in regeneration, then cool.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom