TKR Beachy in recovery<

What crazy person invented TEDS socks?
I just ordered something different that runners use. Suppose to do the same thing.
The teds left a deep crease in my calf. They’re in the trash now.

Mine must have been a better fit. They did leave an indentation at the top, but not bad and were not uncomfortable. (but were really tough to get on!)

I can’t remember why I had to go see my surgeon before my 2 week check, but I did, and at that point he said I could take them off. Yay!

Last edited:
The ones I brought home from the hospital were actually pretty nice, and the ones that I got from the pharmacy are a bit more firm. The hospital pair are the ones I wear the mozt! Since they are fairly soft and don't leave too bad of a mark on my leg!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The hospital sent me home with a handy doodad that you put the sock in the end of a big tube, then put your foot on the other end and pull the ropes attached to the tube and it gets us over your foot and up your ankle a little.
members pic.jpg

Glad things are improving.

Last edited:
Glad you are doing ok Beachy, lots of appointments for me today its getting very real now:yikes::bolt::scare:

The hospital sent me home with a handy doodad that you put the sock in the end of a big tube, then put your foot on the other end and pull the ropes attached to the tube and it gets us over your foot and up your ankle a little. View attachment 69421

How did you find that it worked? I tried that doodad at the hospital. Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but it still put a whole lot of torque on my knee. They offered me that thing, a shoe horn that was so long it looked like a sword, and a grabber thing as a package deal. I passed...

How did you find that it worked? I tried that doodad at the hospital. Maybe I wasn't doing it right, but it still put a whole lot of torque on my knee. They offered me that thing, a shoe horn that was so long it looked like a sword, and a grabber thing as a package deal. I passed...
It worked pretty good for me as long as I used the hospital socks and not the pharmacy ones. They were softer and easier to get on the tube. I got that package too, and the grabber was handy when I dropped something and was flat on my back!

@beachy I am doing okay. Some pain today but that’s my own fault for having too much fun with my cousins and my daughter last night. I also didn’t take 8pm,12am or 4am dose’s of pain meds because I wanted to drink a Mikes Hard Lemonade.
How are things with you? I hope you are doing well and have minimal pain.
I have to wait until my steri strips fall off to take a shower and not even half of them are off :(
How was your shower? Was it painful? Any tips?

Have a lovely day!!!!!!

Oh geez. I have one of those. Forgot about it but will hunt it down.

I was told to wear the TED hose for 4 weeks. I did not! Hope I don't get a DVT.
I am up every hour and a half to pee!
Also, I did not wear them for my previous LTKR and did fine. I am on blood thinners twice a day.

@shells35
You have to stay on schedule with the pain meds!!!!:shrug::doh:
I set alarms on my phone and it’s a pain (literally) to wake up, go to the bathroom, take meds, get back in bed, get lounge doc situated I’m tired just typing it! BUT the knee/incision pain is minimal if I stay on the meds!
Please don’t skip your meds.

I somewhat had a shower today. I have a waterproof bandage and tried to keep the water off of it. It was awkward but will improve.

@beachy

My friend!!!! I’m so sorry I missed your surgery and initial recovery. Not logging in as often and just catching up now. You were always so encouraging in my recovery thread.

I’m so happy that your surgery was uneventful and that your recovery seems to be going well.

Not going to repeat all the great advice and guidance we have learned about here on BoneSmart...but do wish you my best! I know you’ll be walking on the beach before you realize it.

The only suggestion would be to take pics! I took a picture of my knees on every weekly anniversary of my surgery..it was a good way of gauging my progress.

upload_2018-10-15_12-12-4.png

Day 5
Not too bad. Pain is what everyone is wanting to know about so here ‘tis.
I take ocycodone 5mg 2 tablets every 3 hrs. Yesterday I started 3 hrs 15 minutes. No problems. Today I’m trying 3 hrs 30 min.
I take Tylenol 1000 mg with evening pain meds and with morning pain meds. Those are the ”hurtiest” times.

Ice with ice machine all day and night. Same for elevating.

ADLs are trips to bathroom, kitchen. I walk a few minutes every couple hours.

I’m sleeping well at night with a few little naps during the day. My strength is slowly coming back.

Home nurse just arrived and will post after her visit.

So glad to hear you are on your way to recovery!! I bet once you are home and ensconced in your nest, you will feel much better! So hard to get any rest at all in a hospital!!! Gentle hugs!:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads