Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

@zinnia I am so sorry you have had to go through an event of such cataclysmic proportion, especially after all you have gone through medically. I am glad you and yours are safe, but sorry you lost your boat. Hope it was adequately insured.

Wishing you well and thinking of you, both in recovering from your hip nightmare, and the devastation of Florence.

I hope you won’t think this inappropriate (if it is I apologize), but can I ask why you did not evacuate before the hurricane hit?

Well hello @Harry1. Nice to meet you. Nice to hear from you. I hope you are recovering nicely from your surgery and all goes well. My first husband broke his clavicle when he was on his bike and a car didn't stop at the sign. He went over the hood of the car and landed on the street beyond. He chose not to have surgery at the time and had a crooked neck bone for the rest of his life. I hope yours has turned out better than his.

Thank you for asking your question. It is not at all inappropriate. It's sort of a long story though. My family and I were at the beach the week of the Florence, for our annual family reunion. We were in the intended area she was to hit but it was at least a week away and we thought we would be okay. But that Tuesday we were told to give up the house we had rented and go home. There was a case of not enough cars to go around so my daughter road home, a 3 hour drive, with us to wait for her husband to pick her up. Florence had risen to a category 4 by that time. Daughter went home; son went home all the time pleading with my husband and I to leave and stay with them. We were not on the 100 year flood plain, though we have a lot of trees on our rather largish lot, none looked too threatening. In fact, we had one of those taken down just before we left. I have lived in hurricane areas all my life and I guess we just wanted to stay with the house in case something happened and we could get some plastic up there to control the damage. I stayed up Thursday night, the night she got close to the shore and it blew only about a cat 1, she had been downgraded by that time. We had probably about 80 mile an hr gusts. That lasted through Friday night which was the flood night as she got closer. I believe she came ashore Friday morning. I forget. That's the build up to your question which is I don't know really. . .we were told to evacuate, and it was mandatory. But no one really left. That's why they were picking people up off their roofs or in little boats. Stupid, I guess. Just plain stubborn to have stayed but I'm not sorry. So many others are devastated by the water more than the wind. We just got the wind. Hope I didn't bore you here. Bottom line, I don't know what we will do the next time. Probably leave. But we are pretty stubborn about that.

I've been to Africa, by the way. Tanzania, the beautiful Serengeti. Loved that safari. It was during the migration to the Masai Mara. I just returned from New Zealand but that's in a different direction. Strange wild land, the South Island.

Have a lovely weekend. You see I can talk your ear off. :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
:wink:You're an adventurer...and it WAS an adventure. Were you down to eating Vienna sausages and Crackers?

Still happy that you're safe, Zinnia.
Hugs and love to you, hope you're doing well. :loveshwr: :friends:
@zinnia

@zinnia thank you for your detailed and fascinating response. I hope you have a great weekend. I think I must add the Serengeti to my bucket list.

P.s. my clavicle is 100%. I also broke it in a silly bicycle accident in 2007, and had it plated the very same day.

Last edited:
:hi: @zinnia
We got quite some thunderstorms yesterday but I saw in the forecast where rain was again up your way on east coast.:groan:
Hope rivers aren't continuing to rise putting your neck of the woods in peril again?
Thinking of you and yours.
Hope all is well as can be!:friends:

This >:kayak:
Or this > :swim:
Dear, sweet zinnia...please stay safe and dry. :loveshwr: :friends:
@zinnia

Dear @zinnia
I hope you have settled in again "after Florence" and that you hip is doing fine. Of course I'm sorry about the loss of your boat, but the most important Thing is that one has a house. I live in a reasonably safe area - near Frankfurt, but we have the odd gale or two that uproots trees and wrecks cars - all in all the weather is becoming more unpredictable in Germany, too, with the climate change, but we have nothing like the hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes known in the US.
I do a lot of traveling, too, and with my new hip, travelling long distances by plane is no problem. Like you, I've been to New Zealand before. We went to the southern Island in January 2017 - strange wild island indeed - you can experience 4 seasons on one day - we had summer snow. And when we saw the beautiful famous sounds - Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound, it was pouring with rain on each day. But we were told, the waterfalls of the sounds are more beautiful when it's raining. On a sunny day, many of them would dry up. So - I wish you all the best - Constanze

How wonderful to have the whole world at our door here on Bone Smart. Thank you @Constanze for your delightful letter with greetings from Frankfurt. It's a pleasure to meet you. And I hope you drop in again. Wouldn't it be grand if we could just have a nice tea or luncheon, my house, and spend the afternoon chatting. I'd love that.

And to @Harryn1, thank you for bearing with my explanation of why we did not evacuate. It has been a bit of a trauma around here. Do put the Serengeti on your bucket list. The migration is a thing to see. A special moment in time. Continue to heal that hip. Do you still ride that bike?

(I have no idea why the font has changed?) No need for boats here @Layla. Although I got a kick out of the canoe. He would not have made it with Florence. The rivers are not having to fend off the heavy winds so the extra water is flowing freely into the sounds. It is interesting what happens here. If there is a storm with gale winds, 35 mph, and up it drives the rivers back up their channeling @Mojo333, so instead of flowing into the sounds we get flooding. In a usual gale it doesn't do much. The low lying areas around the river downtown can get a little water on the roads but it doesn't flood to damaging. But with a storm like Florence when we had close to and on 100 mph steady at times and a surge to boot, you get a lot of water, probably 10 feet or more. That's what they are measuring now.

But we went out for a drive again and there are still piles of "stuff" that houses contain and are made of stacked at the edge of the streets. Houses still standing are being gutted because of the mold. Some homes are being torn down and some like us are just plain lucky. So there is enough to take care of for quite some time. We also went to see the boat which had been raised Saturday. Here's the irony. . .there's no damage to her. She simply got pushed down by all the boats above her domino like. But being under the water for 2 weeks and all her equipment is gone, and she is full of river muck. It would take so much work to bring her life back. She was a beauty but we'll let her go.

As far as my recovery. . .it is very slow but it is coming. I am walking more unassisted but my leg gets so tired so quickly. I do walk outside and about a bit but mostly still on the cane. I can feel the muscles that need the help and then there's this knee that has so much arthritis in it. The only thing that can help that and put it back in place is a replacement for it but it's the other knee that needs that. I don't know if I have the nerve to have that done. I'd rather be walking with this hip before I do that. What do you sweet girls think?

I had a fire pit build in the back yard. I am not fond of winter so I am hoping to sit by the fire morning, noon and night during the up coming season. Have a lovely October week and weekend state side Sweeties. And I guess it's winter or spring in South Africa? And Frankfurt sounds so imposing, maybe you can have the weather you want. Whatever the season, happy days to All. :capn:

I had a fore pit build in the back yard. I am not fond of winter so I am hope to sit by the fire morning, noon and night during the up coming season.
Me too!
Hope today is a Good Day!

Always nice to hear from you, dear one.
Ugh! The knee....I guess I'm with you, I'd probably want to feel better prepared
as far as your hip getting stronger. But then again, will a more stable knee help your hip move along more quickly?

You're lucky your Winter's are mild enough to sit by a fire pit year round.
Not really possible here with the sub zero temps and piles of snow. Not looking forward to it. :hairpulling:
I can imagine the destruction you see when driving around. It has to be sad and you must feel blessed.
I'm happy your safe and your loss wasn't devastating.
Big hugs :loveshwr: :friends:
@zinnia

Thank you @zinnia . That's nice of you to say so. I will surely post on here from time to time - or read a lot. Do take good care of yourself - Best wishes from Germany - Constanze

Ok @zinnia - you now have a new song. You've been hit with too many "shots.". From now on I'll have to play Barry Manilow and think of you when I hear "I Made it Through the Rain" (or whatsoever the real title is for that song).

Take care of yourself! You've been a real inspiration to so many of us with your class and grace! :loveshwr:

Now it's time to worry about my @Mojo333. Are you in the path of Michael? I am watching him roar onto the Panhandle. Used to go there every fall with college friends. This one will be bad since so many did not evacuate. Am so frightened for you. He could be bad even inland. Let us know when you can if you are on safe ground. Love you and wish you well. :loveshwr:

It's late here now @SaraK. I am listening to the rain; it has been pouring. Just the outer bands of Michael. But I am worried about @Mojo333. Michael roared into Georgia as a cat 2. That can mean 100mph gusts or sustained wind.

Husband bought a new boat today. We are happy with her; she is smaller, just 27' but perfect for us now; the salon is roomier than our poor Halley. We will enjoy her. She needs some work but Gerry loves to putter on his boats.
So she is on the hard, which means (if you aren't a boater) that she our of the water for some work on her bottom, sitting on some very large stilt-like braces. So I wanted to go into the boat and she what she looked like so up I go on the little ladder there and then onto the swim ladder and then my butt onto the cockpit seat and then swinging my legs up to a sitting position in the cockpit. Made my way to the companionway. Gerry was down on the salon sole to catch me if I made a mistake going down the steps to the salon. No mistakes. Loved it down there. Ready to go on a sail. But lots of work to do on the boat before she goes into the water. Then it was time to go above and repeat the process getting off her. That was a little more hairy but I did it without mishap.
Hope all is well with you. Love that you poke your head in once in awhile. Love you. :roseshwr:

Last edited:
I think I know where I want to go on my next Vacay - to go for a sail with you! You go girl! I'm not sure I could have gotten in and out like that. I'm glad you explained the terminology - unless you have a place at the Lake of the Ozarks, the only boating this far inland tends to be canoes, kayaks and johnboats. How I long to live near the water (except when a storm like Michael barrels through).

Take care!

Hi sweet Zinnia,
Look at you go Sailor Girl! Climbing all around the new boat. Sounds like you handled it well.
How exciting for you and hubby. You can look forward to that first sail come Spring.
Stay safe with all those storms hitting your coast. Big hugs! :loveshwr: :friends:
@zinnia

So glad you have a boat you can board and disembark safely.
I too would live to sail.
We go up and down the coast in my BIL's boat...love...but sailing a different experience.
Ossabaw Sound off the coast of Georgia...is beautiful with St Catherine's Island, Blackbeard Island and many others.
You should come this way!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom