THR Are We There Yet?

Oh @Mersada, I am not sure it qualifies as an amazing recovery yet since I just got home yesterday afternoon. But I am sure hoping it WILL turn out to be amazing! As my first full day home grinds to an end I am still feeling much the same (stiff, sore and swollen) but I got flowers delivered, a flurry of encouraging emails and texts, and several sweet cards in the mail. All in all, not a bad day. Will try to stick to same medication schedule through tonight, with a Tramadol at 11:00 after a walk, and then lights out. I suspect, like most folks, I will just have to keep assessing what I am doing every 24 hours, and making adjustments as needed. Maybe I will even try the hated elevating tomorrow again. Hope all’s going relatively well for you—forward progress and not too overwhelming frustration.

I think your doing great. I am happy you are sharing as you go. How much walking are you able to do?
As for the elevating...I find it awkward a bit, but I am trying to get myself used to doing a bit of it pre-op.
Keep up with the icing, I'm sure it will help with the swelling. Have a good night...hope you sleep well and fill us in tomorrow.

Hi Barbara. Sounds like you’re doing great. I’m 2 days ahead of you and also feel that things are going really well. I’m not elevating either. That seems to create more discomfort. I hope you continue to make progress.

Happy Saturday! At least I hope it's starting out okay.
How was the overnight? If you don't mind sharing...
I hope you're still hanging in there, pain well controlled, icing often.
Best wishes for a peaceful, relaxing day!
@Barbaraj

Good morning, Bonesmart Forum! Happy Saturday! Sleep last night was same pattern as the night before: Tramadol and final dose of Tylenol at 11:00, tucked into bed on my left side. Then awake at around 2:30, roll over on my back. A couple hours of sleep until 5:30 and a trip to the loo. Husband didn’t wake up but I was able to haul myself back into bed, a major accomplishment, without assistance. Didn’t really sleep after that, but felt reasonably comfortable and relaxed. Husband up at 7:15 and went downstairs to make a lovely morning latte—ahhh.

Feeling stiff and sore, and swollen, but not any real pain which is a relief. I am able to stand up on my own, putting weight on both legs, and feels so nice to get in a long, full body stretch while standing. Feel heavy and slow but know this is due to the swelling. More icing today, and hope to get a sponge bath as sitting around with occasional hobbling down the hallway leaves me feeling grubby. Will try to shower tomorrow perhaps but want to make sure I am fully steady on my pins before attempting that. And so Day 2 begins—caffeine starting to percolate through my brain so starting to wake up more thoroughly.

Thanks for checking in, @donnybasbl. I hope you are starting the day with less discomfort (despite not elevating!) and a reasonably positive attitude. I figure it’s “one more day down”, and on to the next!

And @Mersada, I try to get up every hour and slowly trundle down the upstairs hallway. Walking isn’t painful really, just awkward as I feel like a lumbering bear! I am not used to feeling so awkward and uncoordinated, it’s a bit frustrating but at this early date I am sure it’s par for the course.

Got a visit from a neighbor friend this afternoon, so nice to chat and laugh with someone about neighborhood doings. I quietly begged her by next week to ignore my husband’s statements that we don’t need any meals because even if we don’t need ‘em, sure would love something other than canned soup! She smiled and agreed, and when she left I heard her telling my husband, “No, you don’t get a choice—I am bringing a meal next week”. Oh, my sweet friend! My dining options are looking up!

Last edited:
Hi again,
I'm sure you may have pondered the option....but just in case you haven't.
Would you ever consider one of those meal delivery services such as Hello Fresh, as an example? I know there are many, that one came to mind even though I've never used them. Everything is measured and ready to put together. I'll bet hubs could handle that. And you may only need his help for another week. You'll soon find yourself making quick meals like scrambled eggs / toast. Grilled cheese etc. Simple stuff temporarily with few ingredients or prep. Just a thought. There's always take out too. It truly won't be long and you'll be doing it yourself. Hope you're having a good day.
Wishing you a comfy overnight!
@Barbaraj

Okay, @Layla and any other person who might have an answer: can someone tell me if elevating one’s operated legs is essential? I find it uncomfortable and it makes me really more stiff. I’m okay with icing but it would be so much more comfortable doing so just sitting in bed with legs extended flat. If I don’t elevate will bad things happen?!! I’d much prefer to skip it. And I am wearing the compression leggings, vigorously wiggling my feet and ankles and getting up and walking every hour.

I felt much the same as you in regards to elevating and for the first couple of days I was really leery on trying to self maneuver my leg into an elevated position. However, after a few days the uncomfortable tightness and then the further migration of the edema convinced me to try the therapy.
It's actually quite effective, with some toe wiggling I was noticing improvements in as little as 30 minutes. A few times a day really got the swelling under control, in the end I was just laying on the sofa with the operated leg draped up over the back cushions.

@Layla ... that's a great idea. I have heard about Hello Fresh and I think I will look into it. When I'm working, take- out is something we often do anyway (especially since we never know who will be around to eat) and there are a lot of healthy take-out choices Thanks for the great suggestion !

I think I am just feeling grumpy tonight, no real reason for this as nothing's changed particularly. Pain level hasn't gotten worse, it's just another day on the recovery journey but I'm feeling grouchy and irritable for some reason. I am really beginning to HATE this walker. I can put my full weight on my right leg and can walk, slowly but upright. I am assuming the walker is there not to actually help with walking but rather to make sure I don't take a misstep, stagger and fall. I do understand this, but I am getting frustrated pushing the darn thing along in front of me. I am not sure when one is allowed to graduate to something else but I'm feeling ready for this, whatever that might be. OS told me I'd be using a walker until at least the 2 week post-op check in, so I will be compliant in a mutinous sort of way.

And thanks @Layla, you are always so calming and sensible--yes, I did suggest to my husband that he consider Hello Fresh (our daughter uses it) but he turned a blind eye, insisting he was going to do the cooking (!) and since I am so grateful for his care otherwise, I didn't make a big deal. I am certainly no great cook, but I am able to whip up simple meals easily and maybe--oh, that would be sweet--in another week I will be able to do some simple meals. I think my grumbles tonight are the usual combination that's expected in a recovery: tired of the walker, tired of being penned inside, tired of the stiffness/soreness/swelling, wanting to exercise but not being able to, tired of canned soup (although he did serve spaghetti tonight, with a side salad)--just tired of not feeling like "me" really. I suspect it's a bit of post-op blues, although showing up kind of early in the game!

But tomorrow is a new day--a real shower, and brother coming over to make dinner. I need to think positive. When does this highly annoying swelling start to go down? Any parameters on that? Maybe I'll try your suggestion, @Rascali, and drape my legs over the sofa back. My legs are easily long enough to do that.

I think I am just feeling grumpy tonight, no real reason for this as nothing's changed particularly

I definitely have that happen, even before the surgery. Just accept the grump and remember it will pass, at least that's what I try to do.

Regarding Hello Fresh, I wish I could talk to your husband, haha. Ironically, given the structured nature of the recipes, it really taught me how to improvise. It was also my inspiration to buy a really good chefs knife, which makes prep work almost enjoyable. We ultimately cancelled it, just because the price outweighed the convenience once we got less reliant on step by step recipes, but it definitely made me feel like a better cook.

I think the middle step between your husband doing the meals and you taking over is doing them together. My wife and I enjoyed doing that... Prep work can easily be done seated, and you could deal with the steps that don't require much mobility.

I still have minimal swelling after 3 weeks, but I also do dumb things, so... It'll probably just go down when you least expect it. I'm still convinced these implants consciously mess with our heads.

Funny how recovery advice is all different! My hospital had me on crutches by the third day and I far preferred them to the walker but other people seem to have had very successful outcomes going from walker to cane.

The bad swelling for me went after three weeks. I did not have support stockings so everything went to the ankle. Once I couldn’t wriggle my toes due to the swelling it was time to put my foot up. I had an ice pack over my hip and ankle.

Re food prep. I did exactly as Joe did and sat at the table with an ice pack on my side chopping veg and “feeling useful” even if it was just chopping an onion.
10 weeks on I can cook a whole meal and do quite a bit of it standing up but am still surprised at the energy drain I get so be prepared for that!
Josephine did a great diagram about the energy drain that is spot on!

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/#post-273181

Sounds like you are doing very well though Barbara with your mind set . 3 days out I think ones mind starts to adjust to the realities of recovery . All good - but ups and downs along the way. I love that chart that was posted with the straight line versus the squiggly one as the road to recovery

So glad you have a sensible neighbour. You will have to let us know what she made for you :)

Last edited:
Good Sunday morning out there in Bonesmart land! I am eating major humble pie this morning, since after two smugly uneventful days home, relatively free from pain, I feel like I have smacked into the dreaded third day, body loudly proclaiming, “I will show you who’s in charge, you cocky twit”. Arghhh...

Woke up last night as usual around 2:00 AM, but instead of just achy and sore, it felt like a deep, taking over my entire thigh, pain. I considered taking the Tylenol but a nanosecond later decided to go for the oxycodone. Without that, I doubted I’d be able to get back to sleep. Woke up again at 6:30 AM, feeling mostly just sore/achy/swollen, but also quite light-headed which I haven’t experienced before. I hobbled to our little recliner in the study off our bedroom, leaning heavily on the walker, and plonked myself down until my husband woke up. He is making me a latte now, and I am grimly munching on some raw almonds and prunes. I am not hungry but know I need to eat something. Just feeling shaky and ill this morning.

Task for the day is to mull over nighttime meds routine. None of the dratted pain meds gets me through a whole night, but last night was the first night the 2:00 AM wake up call was due to significant discomfort I didn’t feel I could handle. Not sure what to do. Hoping after coffee my brain fog will clear and I can think more clearly about my options.

Another fun day in recovery ahead!

Poor Barbara.
It isn't a walk in the park for sure.
You need to take your meds as prescribed almost to the point of waking up to take them.
Staying ahead of the pain is not just a cliche..it's an imperative.
Fog brain is not a bad thing while recovering, in my opinion.
Not a contest for who got away with taking least nor a sign of weakness.
Early early days.
I hope you feel better as the day goes on.:console2:

Oh @JoeKnows, I have enjoyed cooking in tandem with my husband. We’ve put on loud MoTown music, husband has made a batch of killer greyhounds and so we cook! I am the head cook and it’s a bit frustrating at times as my sous chef demands precise instructions about his assigned tasks, “I should dice this onion? How small should I dice it? Is this good enough?” And he’s agonizingly slow. With enough booze coursing through my system I am generally patient enough but I am now grouchy recovery wife so not sure I would be able to handle that now. Regardless, you have helped me remember some truly fun and memorable joint meal prep occasions, something to look forward to in the future. Note to self, however, need to work on convincing husband that “dicing” isn’t an exact science! He’s got to pick up the pace or too many of our joint meals will be served too late into the evening.

Last edited:
Thanks @SurreyGirl, good to be reminded again that there is a future ahead where resumption of simple tasks is a reality. After cooking for literally decades while we had kids at home, I was heartily sick of cooking. But today I feel it would be such a pleasure to make a meal again. I know the recovery journey is absolutely the tangled mess I saw on the chart posted but we ALL are going to get there at some point, right? Caffeine is just starting to kick in so not feeling so hopeless now. And lovely shower today and visit plus dinner from my sweet baby brother.

Last edited:
@Mojo333 it is hard to know what the “schedule” should be for these dang drugs! I have little bottles that say “take one every X hours” but no idea about any schedule I should be following. I have extra strength Tylenol (at 500 mg per pill), 50 mg Tramadol and 5 mg oxycodone. All “ take as needed for pain” which is hard to figure out as I don’t seem to have second sight to alert me as to the level of pain I will be experiencing at 2:00 AM! The two nights previously I seemed to cope with a Tramadol at 10:00 PM and 2 Tylenol at 11:00, but I fell asleep before 11:00 last night and didn’t get in the Tylenol. Then—yowza—a painful 2:00 AM wake up requiring the oxycodone. I feel as if I can cope during the day but nights are really hard with fog brain, interrupted and poor quality of sleep. Sorry, I know I am whining...caffeine still not at its peak yet!

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics