Second time around LTHR 9-26-2018

Lmflora

Country
United States United States
Road this pony before in March 2014 RTHR , but alas time to do the left side in 3 weeks.

Welcome! It sounds very familiar. I had my RTHR May 2014 and LTHR July 2, 2018.

Good luck!

:welome:I'm guessing righty has been all good!?
Double hippy soon then back to a hip pain free life!
(Well, after recovery of course)

Right hip was best thing I ever did. However, I have a persistent problem with my adductor muscle group on the right, tight and balled up, one spot in particular, painful to lift leg in some positions. Been to PT, massage therapy, heat, etc. but always seems to come back. The left hip is a FAI, cam, and torn labrum. Too old and too torn up for arthroscopic procedure

Hi there, :hi:
Three more weeks until double hippy status.
Wishing you comfort as you await the 26th.
Stop by often so we can follow your journey and support you along the way.
@Lmflora

So a month ago I fell while hiking and cut the inside of my calf, 14 stitches, big hematoma. Stitches out, but still draining and swollen. Went in for pre-op testing today, nurse saw it, long story short I have to go in for a surgical procedure tomorrow for irrigation and debridement, if it doesn’t heal up better, then may have to postpone surgery.

Oh my stars...hope it heals up quickly.
Have they mentioned anything about a wound vac? I've seen them work wonders..
I hope they get it all on the mend after today.
Sorry you have to go through this.
Healing hugs:loveshwr:
Let us know how it went!

Ugh! Sorry for the fall and resulting issues.
I know it would be a dissapointment if surgery was delayed.
Better safe than sorry though. Please keep us posted.
Good luck today!
@Lmflora

Turns out there were still wood fragments in the wound. They opened it up, cleaned it out, put in a drain, (all under general anesthesia). I meet with the ortho on the 18th, they will decide then if it is healed up enough to be safe for a THR. I think it will finally start to heal now. back to square 1 on healing up the laceration.

Good they got those splinters cleaned out.
Hope weekend is restful and all heals quickly!

Good news, my orthopedic cleared me to have the surgery. The culture on the leg wound came back negative. I’m pleased that it looks so good 6 days after cleaning it out and re stitching it. It looks really good, healing up, no swelling. So all is a go on the 26th. But, no working out, no riding, no sweating on it, keep it clean and dry, and protect it until it’s sealed up tight.
:flwrysmile:

:egypdance: roll on October 26
Bye bye hip pain!:dancy:

I’m starting to get nervous about this. Would like to hear some experiences about anesthesia. I did a general anesthesia for the right in 2014. Made me nauseous and I didn’t feel well at all coming out of recovery.

Does the spinal/nerve block make constipation less of a problem or does it matter?

The biggest thing I remember from the first THR was how constipated I was. Like HORRIBLE. I’ve given birth and this was almost as bad, prune juice didn’t touch it. I was completely unprepared for that problem. What is the best way to get a head start on constipation? Seriously we almost went to the ER, it was so bad.

I’m starting to get nervous about this. Would like to hear some experiences about anesthesia. I did a general anesthesia for the right in 2014. Made me nauseous and I didn’t feel well at all coming out of recovery.

Does the spinal/nerve block make constipation less of a problem or does it matter?

The biggest thing I remember from the first THR was how constipated I was. Like HORRIBLE. I’ve given birth and this was almost as bad, prune juice didn’t touch it. I was completely unprepared for that problem. What is the best way to get a head start on constipation? Seriously we almost went to the ER, it was so bad.

It's mostly the opioids after surgery that cause that problem, seemingly - not sure how much the spinal contributes to that. There are some recipes posted around the board that can help deal with it. For me, taking Colace (or generic version stool softener) along with an occasional round of Miralax worked great. Miralax doesn't really have a flavor, so easy to add to your drink of choice.

Just need to start right away - don't wait :)

Also, edit to say Spinal with Sedation is the way to go, IMO - nothing like waking up and not feeling like you got hit by a truck, or some other moving vehicle. Plus, was great to get to my room and order lunch right away!

A spinal does not cause constipation. As dlp says - it's the opioids. Ask for an alternative pain med.

Spinal with sedation is so much easier to recover from. No nausea or groggy feeling for days. You begin to wake up when they are wheeling you into the recovery area and can have a small meal very soon after.

I’ve had three general anesthesia’s. My first was in 2014, I was a little light headed that night (had a 3pm surgery) but fine the next day. My last two were in July & August, same anesthesiologist and it was a great experience. I have one more knee to go and I will figure out how to have the same anesthesiologist.

Good luck, hope someone with spinal experiences can help.

I went with a GA again for my second....the first time round I was sick and groggy for a couple of days. I told the anaesthetist this time and he tweaked it so that I had no nausea and was much more alert when I came round. I think if they know how you reacted they can take steps to avoid it next time. Both times I was bunged up for nearly a week afterwards....feel as if I've gone up about 3 dress sizes.....and did all the right things.....drinking lots of water, eating the right foods (prunes, psyllium etc), trying to walk regularly and even taking lactulose (sort of a sugar based med for constipation) but have come to the conclusion it happens when it's ready (yesterday was celebration time :yes!::wink:) Good luck....these last few days are when all the doubts and questions come flooding in, but before long it will all be over and they won't really matter anymore

@Lmflora I had general anaesthesia for RTHR this past Friday. I had no nausea post op. I did have low blood pressure and needed some oxygen, and was told that was due to the general. I went home the next day, much to my surprise! I've been feeling pretty darn good. I will getting my other hip done in 8 - 10 weeks time...I see the OS next week. The nurses on my ward suggested to me post-op hip #1 that I try the spinal and heavy sedation for the second hip, as I'd quite possibly feel up to going home the same day as my surgery. At the end of the day, go with what every YOU feel most comfortable with.

Hey, @Lmflora, we are having surgery the same day and I didn't get a choice--I'm getting a spinal with anesthesia, too. I am freaked about it, but I have a friend who's an anesthesiologist and she told me it really is best and the recovery from it is so much better. I confess to being horrified at the idea of someone sticking a GIANT needle in my lower back, but my friend said they give you a smaller shot, some sort of numbing agent, before placing the bigger spinal drip. I am counting on that! She also said if you advise the anesthesiologist that you are really nervous and agitated, they also give you a small amount of sedation before they take you into the operating room so you're more relaxed and less anxious. I will totally be asking for that! Post-surgery constipation frightens me, too, but I figure the stool softeners, plus Miralax (nurse suggested "one teaspoon stirred into your morning coffee) and maybe prunes (I actually like them) are the way to go. Best of luck to you!

Hi @Barbaraj, I’m starting to get more nervous. Indicated by my increase in appetite and nervous snacking... I hate it when I do that, now my weight is spiking from carbs!! I’m not crazy about prunes, but I will eat them. I ate them last time, did no good what so ever. I have stocked up the cabinet with nearly every constipation product available. I use miralax occasionally, as I tend toward constipation anyway. I think I will go the same anesthesia route as you are. My surgery time is set for 2:30 in the afternoon. Which is a real drag. No coffee, no water, I will be thirsty. On top of all the nerves I had to put my beloved beautiful 10 year old mini Australian Shepard to sleep last Wednesday. All out of the blue. Absolutely broke my heart:cry:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom