Hip Infection* Sudden pain 2 1/2 years after hip revision

Whoknew

Country
United States United States
Just had a spacer put in after 2 months of excruciating pain to the point where nothing could touch my leg without me screaming and morphine only bringing the pain level to a 5. They actually had to give me so much pain meds I hallucinated for a month scaring the hell out of my kids.

Multiple doctors including the orthopedist (had been scheduled for hip replacement as was bone-on-bone right leg), infectious disease, hematologist/oncologist, regular doctor etc with no one being able to figure what was causing pain and daily fevers. Three hospital stays and a week in a nursing home finally resulted in a test that showed probable infection in my hip. Prior to that all tests had been negative. Orthopedic surgeon opened me up and found avascular necrosis and infection in femur, hence the spacer.

I’m about two weeks post-op, at home doing 3 IV antibiotics a day through a PICC line and able to put 50% weight on my bad leg using a walker.

Question is: how normal is it to still have pain from the hip at this point and for how long can I expect it? I don’t have pain when walking, more when sitting or lying down to sleep. I have to use electric reclining chair as our beds are too high to get in and out of easily.

I do hope you find the answer. I fully believe that if you have pain it is for a reason. Pain meds as you found did not heal the infection. Sometimes I think surgeons don't want to confess their work is not perfect.
Hang in there Whoknew you have the right to good health.

Thank you. My original surgeon didn’t even believe the level of pain I was in and instead told their pain management not to give me medication. Fortunately my GP saw the level of pain and was much more proactive in trying to find where the infection was. The surgeon who eventually operated on me, although in the same practice as the original one, believed me that I wasn’t drug seeking, just desperate to be pain free and cured.

@Whoknew Welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry you have had such a tough time with this hip. But sounds like you are on track now to get things sorted.

Look for the threads in the recovery area with a red HIP INFECTION in front of the thread title. Click on the red title and you will get a list of every thread by members who are going through or have gone through this experience. It's a long process - but many have gone back to living life to the fullest after their revisions.

So woke up from a nap feeling achy and off. Took my temperature and it was 101.1 F. Now I’m scared crazy, have call in to the infectious disease Dr on call - of course this happens at night! Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm so sorry. Try not to panic just yet.
It's wise you called and that's the best you can do right now.
Let us know how they advise. We'll be here.
Prayers all is okay :prayer:
@Whoknew

The infectious disease Dr said to monitor it for the next couple of days. Could be unrelated bug or not. If it spikes to 104 go to ER. It’s dropped below 100 for now and I’m trying tot to freak out here.

It’s just been months of this and given that they couldn’t grow a culture from the pus etc. in my bone. They’re just hitting me with two strong broad spectrum IV antibiotics. Uggggg

I'm sorry, you'll be in my thoughts.
I hope you get some peaceful sleep tonight.
Keep us posted.
@Whoknew

Fever broke midnight and normal so far. Looked up side effects on my antibiotics and both mention fever as a more serious side effect. So who knows. I’m just going to watch it closely. This whole process is so incredibly stressful. On the plus side I actually had my first real shower instead of sponge baths and washing hair in sink. It’s amazing how little things like that can make you feel so much better

Great news that the fever broke. I hope it's history. I'm sorry you're stressed.
Wishing you some peace of mind.

Just to keep in mind -
Some common signs of infection are:
Fever
Unusual or increasing pain
The incision is hot to the touch
A change in the size of the incision
A change in the odor of the discharge
A yellow or green discharge that is increasing
Redness or hardening of the surrounding area
Excessive bleeding that has soaked through the incision

Would you be able to provide us with some dates so a signature can be created for you.
It will be helpful for those who stop by your thread to see a timeline of what you've experienced.
For reference, look at the bottom of any member's post and you'll see their date and the procedure they had.

Wishing you a day of comfort and peace.
@Whoknew

@Josephine I never had a THR as I had avascular necrosis so they cut the top of my femur off and put in the cement spacer. Surgery was two weeks ago (August 9th), have been on IV Vancomycin since then and as of one week ago also IV Invanz. Also had three blood transfusions as my blood count was very low, same with BP for a few days.

Have been home one week. Fever is back this evening, running so far between 100.2 F and 99.9. Was normal all day. This scares me as I was experiencing this before being diagnosed. I don’t have increased pain, my bandage over the incision appears clean/blood pus free, am walking as OK as 50% weight bearing allows w my walker. Only real issues are feeling achy and cold when the fever goes up and the never ending messed up stomach from the iv antibiotics. Anyone know how to find an appetite again? I’ve lost mine lol

Also read the post on sleep disturbance post surgery. I’m not sleeping more than 2 hours at a stretch and then try to go to sleep again. Know I need the rest so hope this passes soon.

I do so hope it passes too.
Sleep deprivation made me foggy and weepy.
Don't have any great words of wisdom, but do hate that you are struggling.
Keep the faith and know that we are rooting for you.:angel:

You're having a rough time of it, I'm sorry.
I hope things start looking up for you.
Best wishes for a peaceful weekend.
@Whoknew

I never had a THR as I had avascular necrosis so they cut the top of my femur off and put in the cement spacer.
How bizarre! I have never heard of that before!

They’d seen indications of infection evidently from an mri they had done Plus All signs were pointing to hip infection. They did find infection in my femur (lots of pus) so cleaned it out and put the spacer in.

So update is I’m back in the hospital. Dr had me go to ER as I was still running fever at night for third day running. After a bunch of tests it appears that not only is my spacer fractured (wasn’t hurting until they lifted me onto ct scan table and my leg twisted to point I screamed from pain) but my platelets and white cell counts are low either from the antibiotics I was on (they are being changed) or from sepsis. They may also take out the PICC line and put in new one.

I am beyond discouraged at this point as I’d thought I was doing ok for two week post surgery and after the nightmare of the past two months. Need prayers please if you are inclined! I’m scared

Many prayers:praying:
I'm so very sorry :sad: but glad you went to the ER and up there where they can see about you.
Wishing you all the best!

Will be remembering you in prayer. I'm so sorry, this has been awful for you.
I hope they figure all out quickly bringing you some relief.
Please stay in touch.
@Whoknew

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back