Bilateral THR Made it!!

stellaluna

Country
United States United States
well I am a double hippy! Day two here; I think I was in surgery for three hours ; general anesthesia. That caused some nausea and vomiting in fact still some vomiting this morning but I have gotten a couple doses of anti nausea meds to help. On Tylenol and Percocet and stool softener of course! The joint pain is gone but man the stiffness. Icing like crazy. Haven’t walked yet due to dizziness and vomiting and nausea BUT doing my four PT bed exercises/ they want me to do them 10x a day. So happy I did the double!

Welcome to the other side! Keep taking that anti-nausea medication. Hope this eases soon.

10X per day of any exercise is way too much for someone just out of BTHR. Please don't over do. You can say no!

Here are your recovery articles to refer to if needed:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Yay welcome to the better side! My blood pressure was very low and I felt yuck too. It will pass. :angel:

Welcome to recovery. So sorry you are natious. I was only given one exercise once I was home, heel pumps. Only other direction was walk. What 4 PT exercises were prescribed? Why 10x per day. That seems excessive.

Hope you get your appetite back soon. You will need to eat for energy to heal those hips.
Get some rest if they let you sleep. Elevate those legs if there is any swelling. Keep icing:)

Yay! Good for you...
New double hippy in the house!!
:happydance::happydance:
10X per day of any exercise is way too much for someone just out of BTHR. Please don't over do. You can say no!
I also add my voice to Jaycey's.
Not necessary...

Hope the nausea eases soon..mine was fairly short lived as I had GA also.
Do happy to hear your post!
Healing hugs:friends:

Congrats! One and done :yay:
Done and dusted, as our U.K. friends say.
Use lots of ice in these early weeks and I'll "third" the advice to take it easy
with exercise and PT.
Wishing you comfort as you heal!
@stellaluna

Weighing in... Read the BIG TIP. Beware exercises; Approach with caution.
and welcome to the Healing Side!

The four exercises were ankle pumps; quad squeezes, glut squeezes and heel slides. The last one is tough so just doin what i can. The others feel fine!

Ok I messed up it’s 10 reps on the hours I’m awake .

@stellaluna, welcome and wow bravery medal to you for going bilateral! I had trouble with heel slides as well and couldn't get that knee to bend enough, then one day...it just lost the stiffness and cooperated. Don't do anything that hurts!! Smooth recovery wishes!

Welcome and congrats, that's a major op you've had done. Give your body a break and go easy. Take all the pain Med's going, ice ice baby, and plenty of it. You can ask for nausea Med's to help. Get some food into you, you'll be surprised how good you'll feel after that.

:wave:Hope today is a better day, nausea wise.
Yes, glorious ice!
They didn't offer me any in hospital and I didn't have the wherewithal to ask.
Once I got home...I was able to get more comfortable and ice all the time:ice:

:wave:Hope today is a better day, nausea wise.
Yes, glorious ice!
They didn't offer me any in hospital and I didn't have the wherewithal to ask.
Once I got home...I was able to get more comfortable and ice all the time:ice:

Yup been icing constantly!! I’ll head home tomorrow;had to have blood cuz my hemoglobin levels dropped overnite.

Yay for home!
You'll rest so much better there without the noise and constant interruptions.
Check back often, you'll find lots of support and encouragement here.
Wishing you comfort as you heal.
@stellaluna

Oh my stars...That is all the hiccups you're allowed now! :nah:
Hope you get home soon and get comfy.:)

Sorry to hear you were held up from going home by a transfusion...but good that that speed bump was caught in good time. Wishing you comfort as you settle in at home.:SUNsmile:
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom