THR AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

Oops....I forgot to thank you for stopping by my thread today with the anniversary
wishes.

Thank you, sweetie. It's much appreciated!
Hugs to you.
@AJinNH

ouch ouch AJ :bawl: bet that 'all shook up' feeling is nearly as bad as the bruises! Hope that rest and ice work soon and you're not in pain now (I swear by arnica tablets....the kids used to call them 'bump tablets' when they were little). I did ask my surgeon how vulnerable the thr was if you fell (not planning on doing it, but I like to be prepared....am a compulsive 'worst scenario' planner!) and he said it's pretty well buried under muscles etc (think the etc was 'fat' but he was being tactful :heehee:) so it's pretty unlikely you'll have more than bruises. As you fell on your other side is it making the op one take the strain?

Hope you aren't feeling more of an after affect this morning.
Rest up, ice up and you'll be good as new soon.
Thankful that fall wasn't much worse. I'm sure you are too.
Wishing you comfort today!
@AJinNH

[QUOTE="
Has anyone else fallen after surgery?[/QUOTE]
Right here!
I tripped on the sidewalk(not sure what I tripped over) fell on my knees, crawled on the grass to get to a fence that could support me while I got up.
That was 2 weeks ago. Hip is ok, knee bruised. :tantrum:

Thanks @anny for the arnica suggestion, I have some cream and it has helped. You made me laugh about your worst case scenario, sometimes I think we’re twins that were separated at birth, you sound just like me.
And this was one time that I was thankful for my extra ‘cushioning’.

Yes @Layla , thankful is right! It could have been so much worse. I’m also thankful to get that big worry over, not that I can’t fall again, but at least now I know that I can survive falling with little more that some scrapes and bruises. The soreness is a little less today and I’m still going ahead with my travel plans. Yay! I survived a fall.

@sequin98 I’m so glad that you survived your fall as well. I know that feeling of tripping but not knowing on what since surgery. So far it hasn’t made me fall, but I think in my case it’s that I’m still adjusting to the op leg being longer than it had been. Fortunately it seems to be happening less often, as is the perception that my op leg is longer than my left. Things are slowly evening out. I hope it does for you as well, and I hope we’ve both survived our first and last fall!

I get what you mean about "getting it over with" realizing you can fall and it doesn't have to be
worst case scenario. But the prospect is still scary. I'm just happy you're okay.

It's also great to hear you're still traveling. Wishing you safe travels and a lovely trip.
Somehow that word "trip" feels unnerving. Let's do it over....:heehee:

Safe travels as you create many beautiful memories on your getaway!
Hugs to you @AJinNH

Hope you have a happy and "safe" 4th, @AJinNH !
I will have a much earned day off.
Happy hips, happy life!:chuckmarch:

Happy 4th of July! :flwrysmile:

I graduated from PT yesterday (my call) I’m ready to move on. I have the option to pop in for brief visits for targeted massage/release treatments. I’m sure the psoas and tight hamstring will continue to be an issue for a while, but no need to prolong PT just for that. They’re very happy with my progress, me too.

Traveling was a breeze, no problems after the fall except for a lingering sore shoulder and lower back. Advil and Arnica cream got me through that and I was able to run, play and bake with my grandkids. My 2 1/2 yo granddaughter loves to bake with me, and I’m so impressed with her skills. I also managed to build a skyscraper with my grandson, and occasionally rebuild it after Lilly knocked it down. :loveshwr:

We had so much fun and I felt so good (finally) that we rented a small apartment near our son so that we could fly out more often and stay longer. Woohoo!! We don’t want to miss these precious moments while we have the chance. Thank you THR for making this possible.

Recovery hasn’t been a straight line, but I’m definitely making progress. Hang in there newbies!

What a lovely update @AJinNH
I'm happy you're doing okay after the fall. What a nice getaway you had.
You're blessed that you can afford the apartment and airfare to make frequent trips
to visit your son and his family. I see many opportunities to create many beautiful memories in your future.
So very happy for you! Thanks for sharing the update.

I hit the 4 month mark a couple of days ago. Things continue to improve. That funny feeling of leg length difference is pretty much gone. I still find I have to give myself a day off after exercising, but sometimes it’s okay two days in a row. I even did water aerobics again, only this time I stayed in the deep end and it was much better. I haven’t iced in a while. Last week I spent a lot of time in the car, and forget to bring ice with me, but it turned out fine and I felt that was an important turning point for me.

My biggest complaint lately is that I’m tossing about a bit more at night than I had been, I’m guessing that it’s because of my increased activity. It’s not terrible, just noticeable. Luckily I’ve been able to fall back to sleep. Funny thing is that I find myself on my back more often, as that position eventually is the most comfortable.

Good shoes and a long stride are two things I find very helpful. Also, I finally got rid of those elastic shoelaces and can comfortably tie my sneakers. Also stretching is hugely important to keep the aches at bay.

I’m getting there!

Hi @AJinNH !:yahoo:
Happy 4 months!
Thanks for the update.
I'm sure you are still improving, I was at this point...but glad to hear from you.
We've missed you but I was certain you had some life to get back to.
Onward:egypdance:

Hey there hippie friends, sorry I haven’t been by in a while, I’ve had a lot on my plate and when I have a few minutes to sit for a while I’ve been too tired to pick up my phone or sit at the computer. I’ve missed all of you, I hope that you’re having a fun summer and are staying healthy.

This week is 19 weeks post-op. My RTHR is healing nicely and I continue to see improvement. I spent the past few days in Chicago and did a lot of walking, got up over 14000 steps yesterday. Not a peep from my right hip!

However something new has suddenly emerged from my LEFT hip, leaving me feeling a bit like I was side-swiped. I’ve developed a pain high up on my left leg, inner thigh/groin area towards the back. It crops up after I’ve been walking for a while and can get bad enough to make me limp. This is the first time this has happened, my left side has been symptom free. I do have OA and bone spurs on that side as well, but not as bad as the right had been. A combo of Acetaminophen and ibuprofen take the edge off and allow me to sleep.

Could this be something other than a deterioration of my left hip? Please tell me it’s probably something else.

I see my PCP on Monday and will run this by her as well. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Sounds like your left hip may be going the way of the right. Hips can go from tolerable to horrid fairly quickly. If you were doing lots of walking it may be complaining. Ask for an x-ray to confirm what's going on.

I hate to say it, but I agree with Jaycey. Your situation sounds very familiar. When I had the first hip done, I had no inkling that the second also needed to be replaced. As I got more active, though, it became apparent that the inactivity due to the problems with the first hip had masked the issues with the second. The second one also seemed to go downhill more quickly than the first. I'm not sure if that was really the case or just that I recognized the pain more than with the first (and was less willing to put up with it). I hope it's not headed to surgery so soon, but at least you know what the alternatives look like to make an educated decision if it is. Please get it checked, though!

Thanks @Jaycey and @SaraK not what I want to hear, but what I suspected. I will get it checked out, although I feel I’ve had enough radiation for a while.

I was hoping early in my postop recovery that relying on the left side to do all of the heavy lifting wasn’t putting it at risk of failing sooner.

Do you think looking at the X-rays from 6 weeks postop are good enough, or can it be significantly different 3 1/2 month’s later?

In my case, xrays never showed an issue with either hip - MRI was necessary for diagnosis. Not sure how much things would change in 3-1/2 months but my OS wasn't doing all of the xrays on 2nd hip he would do with initial diagnosis until I came in with pain in it. They may not have done an xray on the second hip that would show the problem.

Trust me, if I haven't started to glow in the dark yet, I doubt a couple more xrays will push you over the edge!

Do you think looking at the X-rays from 6 weeks postop are good enough, or can it be significantly different 3 1/2 month’s later?
Hard to say but my x-ray post LTHR I specifically asked how the right hip looked. All was well. Fast forward and I started to get aching and groin pain. AVN was diagnosed on that hip. I suppose I could have waited to have it replaced. But having waited too long for the left I didn't want to go through that again. In my experience getting the hip replaced when symptoms are milder really does make the recovery more straight forward.

Hi @AJinNH
I'm playing catch-up and see you're having new pains?
My OS said both of my hips had significant changes to the X-rays
done within 4 months of the first.
By the time of my surgeries both hips had moved to the collapsed
stage, according to OS at my follow up appt.
This was the second OS who did both surgeries.

Several years ago I was told to do both hips- both were bone on bone.
But I put off it off as pain was tolerable with meds and I had work commitments. Mistake in retrospect.
In May when I scheduled my L for August surgery I had to call back in a week to plead
to move up to June.
In a few days time I was really almost immobile. Never could have made it to August 17.
Second has been easier on me.

Best of luck to you.

Oh @BeBe I’ve been thinking of you. We had our right hips replaced the same week in March, and you’ve already had the left replaced! I’m so glad to hear this one was easier. I really shouldn’t complain or let this get me down, it could be so much worse, I’m really blessed in so many ways. I’m also very grateful to have everyone on BS to consult and commiserate with as well. This just came out of the blue, not even a hint of trouble on the left, I’m still in a bit os shock.

Thank you all for your input, I’d still be in denial. Hopefully I can hold off for a awhile until my right recovers a bit more.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member