MUA New Knee #2 Recovery<

So I have a couple of questions. Is Tramadol a better pain reliver then Norco? I think the Norco is keeping me awake at night..I am one of those who can take benadryl and stay wide awake lol. I'm taking es Tylenol every 4 - 6 hours and really only taking Norco at night as that is when I have the most pain. Last year my family Dr prescribed me tramadol when the knee finally gave out (mucking out house after Harvey flooding finally did my knee in) and it made me really loopy and nauseated (I was taking it every 6 hours).

2nd question...has anyone OS prescribed pennsaid topical cream for your knee? Mine gave me some samples to use to help with swelling and pain. It's used specifically for the knees according to the insert. Just wondering if this has actually been something that has helped with anyone.

TIA everyone :flwrysmile:

Pennsaid looks like it has the same ingredient as voltaren gel. Some people find it seems to help, others not so much.I've used voltaren gel sometimes on my bad shoulder and ankles and it seems to help the pain a bit. Since they're just samples it wouldn't hurt to try.

But I think the tkr swelling will go down on its own. I took NSAIDs with my first tkr and didn't with my second and the swelling took the same time to go down. Tylenol is probably better for pain control.

@kneeper thank you. I am taking the Tylenol during the day but sometimes need to use the Norco with it when I'm in more pain than usual.

Been doing outpatient pt for one month so they did a re-evaluation today. Measured 120/0 on my own, with a tiny bit of help got 122. Pt gal was thrilled . Are cutting me back to 2 visits a week now until I see os in 2 weeks, then possibly be discharged . :egypdance:

With that ROM you don't even need PT anymore unless it's for your gait or balance.

@sistersinhim Gait is exactly what they want to work on. My right knee is really starting to give me issues and my gait is part of the problem ...I hope!

Getting your body back into proper walking alignment and muscle tone corrects quite a few temporary complaints. It’s worth giving gait work a chance!

Just returned from my surgeon's office. He is thrilled with progress 120/0 so I don't need to see him regarding left knee until I finish pt (working on gait). He thinks I have some scar tissue on the lower left side of kneecap from when I fell down the stairs but it's obviously not impending progress so we are going to try the pennsaid for now and will advise pt to work on it.

HOWEVER the right knee is continuing to get more painful so we are going to try orthovisc injections (if the insurance approves) 3 injections for 3 weeks. Anyone ever had these injections? Ins makes him go conservative approach before talking replacing it. Not that I'm looking forward to another surgery but would rather get it done this year if I have to since I've met all my out of pocket costs for the year.

Never ends does it

Well another sleepless night, listening to the bear snoring next to me. I cant wait for normal sleep again. Cant turn the tv on so I'm watching Downton Abbey (probably for the hundredth time) on my tablet. You would think i could doze off seeing how I've seen it all before but nope, all engrossed. :heehee:

Took a Norco so maybe little miss diva knee will settle down. Don't think she cared for the cupping they did at pt today..cant figure out what else is making her cranky. :chinstroke:

@nuttybrunette it was interesting. It felt good in some spots but when she worked on the incision and the area with the scar tissue it was uncomfortable. She uses the vacuum pump technique rather than the heat one so there are no marks left on the skin. I'm not sure if that was what set the knee off though so I don't want to discourage you from trying it. My brother had it done after his shoulder surgery last year and he swears by it lol.

If it hurts during or after you do it, then don't do it again for a while. Your knee's pain response is saying it doesn't want that cupping right now. Why not wait a few weeks and then try it again? Shoulder surgery is way different than a knee replacement! I know, I've had both!

Even at 10 weeks out I find I need days to just do nothing but rest, elevate and ice. Today was one of those days. Not in any significant pain just very tired today. This is what I did today: :elevate: :elevate: :elevate::ice::ice::ice::sleeep: and watch tv lol

@sistersinhim I'm wondering if it had something to do with cupping :chinstroke:yesterday. I'm following your advice and holding off on that for now.

@lovetocookandsew Yes boredom is a definite reality :heehee:

@Jockette Thank you...thanks to this forum I'm constantly reminded to listen to my little baby diva knee lol:rotfl:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom