TKR Second knee (left) now done

patience

Country
Australia Australia
I have been reading this forum since I had my RTKR on 21st March 2018 and decided it is about time I joined in. Reading everyone's comments in recovery has been a great support. I will be going for my LTKR on 22nd August 2018 and hoping that my right knee has improved substantially by then. My OS is very happy with my progress and my flexion is good. Not sure of the exact measurements as my OS does not measure and I have not been to physio for some time. I am able to walk without aids, albeit very slowly and get up and down from a chair without using armrests. I do light exercises maybe once a day. Sometimes I miss a day.

My concern is that I am still suffering pain and still on strong pain meds. Lyrica 50 mg morning and night, Targin 10mg morning and night and Endone 5mg 1 or 2 times per day depending on the pain. (I have reduced the Endone from 6 per day.) I also take 1000mg paracetamol 2 to 4 times per day.

I am able to walk my little 4kg cavoodle around the block after taking an Endone. I'm driving short distances and doing food shopping for short periods. I live alone and therefore looking after myself.

Is it normal to still be suffering pain almost 10 weeks from the operation date?

Hi, Welcome to Bonesmart! That’s a great user name you have, it is definitely something we need a lot of in this recovery!

That’s great that your OS does not measure, mine did at every appointment, pushing my leg to where he wanted it. I found it very stressful, as well as painful!

Living alone means you get plenty of exercise with your Ativities of Daily Living. Light exercises are great and it’s fine if you miss a day!

Best wishes as you continue to recover. Hang out with us here, we’ve all been where you are!

Hi Patience
I had my tkr done on March 16, 2018. It's not a good idea to compare yourself to others because everyone heal at a different speed. Your level of daily activity sounds about the same as mine. I also excecise once a day but only in the community pool. What surprised me was the meds and I assume level of pain you are experiencing, which begs the question, are you overdoing it somehow? At 10 weeks, I have been off narcs for seven weeks and I take 2 Tylenol 500 mg at bed time, and 1 or 2 Tylenol 500 mg during the day occasionally. That said, if you are in pain, it's important to manage that effectively. There are those on this site who can speak to this with greater experience but in terms of overall progress, it sounds like you are doing well. Pain is to be expected but it does get much better with lots of rest and ice being careful not to push too fast. Hugs!

Patience,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

Sounds like you are doing too much for your knee too soon.

I do light exercises maybe once a day.
Once a day may be too often for your knee, try cutting back to every other day, and none on the weekend.

I am able to walk my little 4kg cavoodle around the block after taking an Endone.
Again this may be too much for your knee, try cutting back the distance until your knee is ready.

I am able to walk without aids, albeit very slowly
If you are limping or have other gait deviations, recommend you use an assistive device to promote a normal gait pattern. You may develop some gait habits you will have to work on later going with out a device.

My concern is that I am still suffering pain and still on strong pain meds
Many of us needed pain medications into the 4th and 5th months, everyone is different, do not compare yourself to anyone else.

Here are the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will keep you updated on my progress. Going to see GP today to discuss meds. Also, I had a UTI just over 2 weeks ago for which I took antibiotics. Think I may have another one. Will discuss with GP. Not sure if this normal. Don't usually have them.

I do appreciate all your advice.

Hello fellow TKR's. Saw GP yesterday and it turns out I do not have a UTI which I am relieved about. Also have reduced Targin to 5mg morning and night. GP advises need to reduce dosage and not just cut off Targin as it can cause nasty withdrawal symptoms, one of them being pain. I'm also limiting myself to 1 Endone per day. I can get by on this.

I think I'm one of those people who thought I would be up and about doing everything a few weeks after the op pain free. Oh well, this is not to be.

Trying to stay positive and reading everyone's threads certainly helps. Thank you all and hope you are all doing well.

Last edited:
I think I'm one of those people who thought I would be up and about doing everything a few weeks after the op pain free. Oh well, this is not to be.
No, I'm afraid it's not to be.

Recovery from a knee replacement takes a long time - as long as a full year for complete recovery of all your soft tissues. It's truly a marathon, not a sprint.

Your age and previous fitness don't make any difference to that recovery time, either. Your knee is on its own path to recovery and it will do things when it is ready, not when you wish for it - unfortunately!

I think we all like to hope we'll bounce back from TKR the way we've always bounced back from injuries or other surgeries. It's a bit of a broadside to realize this recovery isn't that kind of recovery. :bored:

I've never known (in person) a TKR who bounced back in three weeks and I have a family full of famously successful TKRs. Even the ones who bounced quite well at three weeks would admit that it took at least a few more months to get to the point of doing everything without ever thinking about their knees. And they're rare birds at that!

Do stay positive. Recovery might be a drag at times, but your knee will thank you for being patient. :ice:

Funny how our mind does not think about the recovery Our body needs to repair. Steady as she goes
Be the tortoise and not the hare. Allow a longer recovery time and then you will be pleasantly surprised your recovery will be better.

Good luck

Also, I had a UTI just over 2 weeks ago
I had my first UTI a few months after my tkr. It doesn't seem to be that unusual. I'm glad you don't have another one.

Good morning all. It's been a while since I posted because my knee was doing quite well and I had decreased the pain medication quite substantially.

That is the knee was doing quite well until I went out to dinner at a restaurant last Saturday night and was sitting chatting with friends for about 4 hours. I did not have my leg elevated and only visited the bathroom twice so did not really move my leg in all that time. That night my leg ached so much it kept me awake. This hasn't happened for a while. Also, when I first stand from sitting or lying down there is a terrible pain going down my calf. It seems to subside a little after walking, but my leg is quite swollen to the righthand side and behind the knee and it is painful to walk. It feels a lot tighter than it has for a while. I did see my surgeon on Tuesday and because of my history of a Baker's Cyst, he thought this might be the problem.

I am now wondering if it could be a blood clot in my leg caused by sitting for so long. I do walk my dog and walk around the house so it's not as though I'm inactive.

Has anyone else experienced a blood clot almost 3.5 months out from their TKR?

Anyway, I'm going to see my GP today and I'm hoping it's not a DVT as I have surgery scheduled for my LTKR for August 22. Not sure if this will be able to go ahead if I do have a blood clot.

Hope everyone else is doing well and I will let you know how things go.

Good morning all. GP also believes I have a Bakers Cyst and that it has ruptured. He said pain would be further down the calf if it was a clot. He will send me for an ultrasound in a week if pain has not improved by then. I’m relieved he does not think it is a clot.

Meanwhile, I will keep elevating, icing and taking anti inflammatories as both my surgeon and GP advise.

Take care everyone. Will talk soon.

I am now wondering if it could be a blood clot in my leg caused by sitting for so long. I do walk my dog and walk around the house so it's not as though I'm inactive.
If you're able to take your dog for walks, it's most unlikely to be a DVT.
Has anyone else experienced a blood clot almost 3.5 months out from their TKR?
We are ALL at risk of clots all the time. Surgery has little or nothing to do with it.
GP also believes I have a Bakers Cyst and that it has ruptured.
In all my career I have never heard of a Baker's cyst rupturing! The capsule is quite tough and fibrous.

Thanks Josephine for your comments. Still have pain after first rising from sitting or lying position, but not so bad as it was. Keeping my fingers crossed that pain keeps decreasing and my knee gets back to where it was.

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I posted on my thread. I've now had the left knee replacement done on 22nd August 2018. I also had a ligament issue so have to wear a brace for 4 weeks. For the first 2 weeks I had to wear it all the time even in bed. Now I only have to wear it if I'm walking a little distance. The thing keeps falling down so it is very annoying.
Anyway, the left knee is not as painful as the right one was, but it is more swollen and stiff so therefore I can't bend it as well as the right. My ankle is also very swollen which was not the case for the right. I'm not suffering any night pain and this may be because I'm not doing as much exercise as I was with the right. When my left knee was last measured in rehab the ROM was 89 and the extension 0 so I'm pleased with that. I do find it difficult getting off my couch so have to lie on pillows to make it higher. Didn't experience any of this with the right.
I'm hoping the swelling reduces soon because I'm sure this is stopping the bend.
The same surgeon performed the left TKR as the right, but he has put a different prosthesis in the left knee. The one he has used in the left will support my ligaments more than the one he used in the right. Hopefully, my knees will look the same when all the swelling goes down.
Also, just to let you know, I still have a painful Bakers Cyst at the back of my right knee, but the surgeon is hoping this will resolve. If not, he will have to do something about it. I've had it for more than 2 months now.
Hope everyone is doing well and I will let you know how things are going.

@patience,
I used your most recent thread title for your recovery thread. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Thanks for merging my threads Pumpkin. Tried to change the name of my original thread, but couldn't find the thread button at the top of the page. Happy with the current name.

@Josephine
Good morning Josephine. I haven't posted on the site for some time, but I read it every day. My right TKR is now almost 14 months old and the left is almost 9 months. I have been given the all clear by my surgeon and don't have to see him again unless I have problems.
I wanted to ask you about a sharp pain that I have at the rear of my right leg when I get up from sitting or lying down. According to your pain charts it is at RB1 E (about the middle of E). It sometimes travels down the calf. It goes away when I have been walking for a little while, but is very uncomfortable when I first get up. An Ultrasound about 8 months ago identified that I had a thickened IT band at that time. I mentioned it to my surgeon at my last visit in April 2019. He said the joint is fine and he advised me to see my physio. I haven't been to physio since I had the left TKR.
Your advice on what you think it could be, i.e the IT band or the Hamstring, or something else entirely, would be greatly appreciated.
I am walking quite well. The left knee still gets very stiff at times, but all in all I am happy with the way things are going apart from this very sharp pain in the right leg when rising.

Hi there - I'm wondering if Josephine is around to answer my above question. Thanks.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back