Left knee revision with bad right hip?

crispysMom

Country
United States United States
Hello, I have read many stories and posts over the years but have never posted.

After only 2 years my left TKR failed. The wound had problems healing from the start. I also noticed a pain every now and then that would blast through my knee when vacuuming after it healed. (My right TKR has never hurt since it healed.) Other than that occasional pain - nothing until recently.

I moved last fall. My arches started falling after I moved. My feet were very painful as well as my groin on the right side, strange I thought.

My knee started to get sore and around February I noticed it bowing in the left knee. I also started hearing grinding in my right hip. Soon after I had some of the worse pain I ever felt below my left knee- accompanied by horrible pain in my right hip making walking to the bathroom pretty much impossible without my Mom’s walker!

I moved from outside Atlanta to help my mom in Pennsylvania (90 minutes east of Pittsburgh) in the mountains. I already seen one surgeon who would only xray knee or hip not both. He waltzed in saying I need a hip replacement, going over my BMI, saying I need to drop 20 pounds before I’m eligible. I saw no xray so I asked for a copy in case I go back to Atlanta by the time I lose 20 pounds. He threw the biggest fit...stating if I’m not going have him as a hip surgeon to not bother making an appointment to come back for my knee. Dr Katz in Johnstown, PA, He’s well known for being rude to EVERYONE. I’m reporting him. Keep your parents away from him.

Fast forward to new surgeon. Got a shot in my hip that really helped the burning pain but when I go from sitting to a standing position. My hip has been screaming with pain. My knee doesn’t hurt 24/7 but when it hurts, I can’t walk on it period.

So all that to ask if anyone had a knee replacement/revision surgery with a bad hip?

I'm 52, a widow with a 9 year old son. Came here to help my 78 year old mother but she’s helping me at the moment.

Hi @crispysMom and what a story! You poor thing! I just finished responding to @Jockette and made the comment that perhaps some of the American Surgeons need to come to Europe to learn manners. I am speechless and appalled at their attitudes!

I have unique issues in that I had a LTHR in December 2014, had an accident in October 2017 during which the stem has slipped down my femur making my leg 5cms shorter, plus three fractures in my trochanter and another on the acetabular.. Simultaneously my left knee developed all sorts of issues. My Surgeon said he would not do a Revision and a TKR at the same time and after discussions we went for knee first. He will not do the Revision immediately but has me on various medications/supplements and is monitoring me. I am 5'3" and 115lbs so no weight problem. My hip hurts in certain positions which I avoid like the plague. I am learning to walk again because of the leg length differential and weak muscles which atrophied over 7 months but can hobble 30 steps with a walker.

So yes, I have just had a TKR with a fractured hip!

Well, I'm certain you can do better than the over-dramatic Dr. Katz. You live within driving distance of excellent surgeons, even if it means going to Pittsburgh. If you are looking for another surgeon from whom to get an opinion, we might be able to give you some names. Just let us know.

We do have members who have had knee replacements/revisions while also suffering bad hips. Let's see who turns up to speak about it. Try doing a search of the Knee Replacement Recovery Area forum to see if you can isolate some threads that talk about their hips also.

Also, you could post in the Pre-Op Hip Replacement area to get comments from that side!

Izabel, thank you for responding. I had sympathy pains just reading about your hip. That sounds terrible. When they do your hip revision do they think they can build up the 5cm so you can be even?

My hip is worse going from sitting to standing. I’m going to see about buying a recliner chair that has the lift feature to stand me up straight after my knee revision. I remember when I had each of my TKRs the first few days, getting up was the hardest problem. Hopefully that chair can help.

Thank you Susie! I found another surgeon who said that he definitely could do my knee revision but also let me know about the expert revision surgeons in Pittsburgh. He even gave me names. I found this surgeon to be very well rated by his patients and decided to let him do my revision. I am very comfortable with him.

It took me YEARS to find a surgeon in the Atlanta area mostly because I was so fearful of the surgery. I had one of the very best surgeons in Atlanta do my knees. My right knee is perfect. This darn left one never healed properly. I should have followed up with my surgeon before I moved. Live and learn.

Driving back and forth to Pittsburgh isn’t an option with my obligations of older mother and younger son. Also, I need it done ASAP, before more damage is done to my tibia.

I will look in the other forums as you suggested. Thank you!

Has the surgeon you are now seeing ruled out that your knee pain and swelling might be caused by your bad hip?Or do you know for certain that the knee is the problem?

It sounds like you are comfortable with this surgeon for doing your revision. The best predictor for an excellent outcome is to sign on an excellent surgeon. Seeing the surgeon in Atlanta before moving would have been a good thing, but we can’t rewind Time, so all you can do now is move forward.

crispysMom, I think so by using a longer stem I guess. Will ask on next visit.

SusieShoes, it’s the opposite hip that hurts. He showed me the X-ray of my bad knee- the tibial insert has collapsed. It is obvious from the X-ray. He said he seen it many times when cement wasn’t used. Regardless- he is going to use a different replacement that should be more stable for me. The stem will be deeper than this last one.

Not sure if that’s the correct term- the piece they pound in the tibia.
I’m tired, so excuse me.

Izabel, good- I know I was worried about bone loss on this revision but he said he can build it up so my legs are the same. That’s what made me think to ask you. Hips may be totally different.

Your explanation made perfect sense. Even tired, you’re articulate. :friends: No wonder you need a revision. I’m tagging our Nurse Director @Josephine to look at your case. She has long experience as an orthopedic nurse and surgical assistant.

anyone had a knee replacement/revision surgery with a bad hip?
I doubt a good surgeon would do that because one never really knows how long a revision will take. Besides which, it complicates the recovery somewhat!
I’m going to see about buying a recliner chair that has the lift feature to stand me up straight after my knee revision.
I really would advise against that. It's the very best therapy to learn to get up and sit down on your own strength. It's not a good idea to have a 'machine' do it for you!
When they do your hip revision do they think they can build up the 5cm so you can be even?
by using a longer stem I guess
Generally this is a careful match between the amount of bone that is trimmed off the top of the femur, the length of the neck of the stem and the degree to which the device is pushed into the femur.
Not sure if that’s the correct term- the piece they pound in the tibia.
Besides which, we don't 'pound' the device into the bone! It's pressed in carefully with a slight tap at the end to ensure it's seated well.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom