THR REM's Recovery Thread<

REM

Country
United States United States
Hi,
I'm new to the forum but I've had THR on both hips. Right leg February 20th. Left leg March 20th.

I too felt as if my hip had moved. It felt as if it dislocated. It happened on my first week home from the hospital. I was trying to get out of bed. Once I made it to the edge and my legs were hanging over the side I bore down on my right leg to scoot closer when I felt a sharp pain in my right butt cheek. The pain was awful and lasted almost two weeks but gradually went away.

As far as pain meds I was taking 12 a day at first but have drop that down to only one before going to physical Therapy and one before bed time. I've tried to not take the bed time one but my legs ache so bad I cannot go to sleep.

I'm able to walk without my cane but do with a limp on my left side. I do take my cane on longer walks as my left leg is still weak and starts giving out on me sometimes and I worry about falling. Well that's my story.

received_991992294290438.jpeg

20180404_133514.jpg

Hi REM. Double hippy in early days. We need to get you a thread and let Josephine, or nurse director weigh in.
@Josephine with the @ sign is how you tag folks.
Was osteoarthritis the reason for your THRS?
I'm pretty sure you aren't dislocated as I've heard that would require an ambulance after alot of screaming.
The left one looks like it had alot of bolstering at the bottom.

Reactions: REM
Long story shortest version. Went to the emergency room a year and a half ago with pain in my right groin area. Was told I had a hernia. Saw a surgeon who told me no I didn't have a hernia I had osteoarthritis.

Went to see an orthopedic surgeon who told me I had avascular necrosis and that both hip joints had lost blood flow to them and had died. Was told I'd be in a wheelchair in a year and that's just what happened before I could get insurance to have surgeries.

Hi @REM ,
I have moved your post into a recovery thread for you, so that we can talk about your hips without disrupting the other thread.

Please post any updates or questions about your recovery in this, your own thread. We will see them there, as someone checks all the new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Just in case you couldn't find your thread, here are the instructions on finding your thread,
How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Im still trying to figure this site out and how to and what to do.

REM, did you let your surgeon know about the feeling that your hip had dislocated? If so, what did he/she say?

Here is some post-op reading for you:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

He was in and out of the room so fast and by the time I went in for my last visit the pain had stopped and hasn't returned. So I forgot to bring it up.

You will get the hang of the forum.
I do think your surgeon deserves a call about the harsh pain you had to make sure all is well.
Are you using a walking aid...walker maybe?
They do alot of stretching -moving around things to get those new tierods and ball joints in there!
Lots of deep healing going on...
Hope you are putting lots of ice on.
You don't look too terribly swollen, but I wasn't either really. That ice is an amazing pain reliever, believe it or not.

Have not used ice yet. No. I'm not using walker anymore. Just my cane when I'm feeling sore.

I've never been a fan of ice but it was my new friend. You seriously need to be icing, get that internal swelling down and keep those sore muscles from being so tight.
Keeping some if that weight off of those legs sometimes will keep you mobile for longer.
They fixed those hips but they also traumatized alot of soft tissue, muscles, ligaments, etc.
Treat it Right, AND you'll be doing this in no time.:chuckmarch:

:ice::ice::ice: and then :ice: some more.

• Funny
Reactions: REM
No pt today. Go on Monday's Wednesday's and Friday's. Not Done a thing today other than get up at 10:30 to heat up a sausage biscuit then lay back down and fall back to sleep. Pretty disappointed in myself for not getting out and walking or doing something. Just feel so tired.
Tired all the time. I have to force myself just to go to my pt. Although I do feel better after as far as being able to move more easily I'm not able to do much more afterward it does feel good to be able to get out of the house and drive myself to my appointments. I missed driving. Well going to make myself get and do something even if its just walking outside. Have a great rest of the day.

I made myself get up. I put on my walking shoes and went out for a walk. My two granddaughters wanted to go so we all walked around the block twice. Tired now feeling it in my hips and butt cheeks. Breathing hard and sweating but all in all happy with myself now. I know the more I walk the easier it will get but right now I can't see that far in the future. For now it's day by day. I'm kind of a hermit. I'm uncomfortable being out in public so going out and walking my neighborhood was a big deal for me. I've lived in this location eleven years and today was the first time ive seen what's around the curve in the road in front of my house.

@Gypsy
Bumner. 4 surgeries. The two I had will be more than enough for me. At least I hapo so

@Layla.
I have my ice packs the hospital sent me home with. Walked around the block twice with my grand daughters so I'm feeling my hips and backside. We'll see how well it helps. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Rem, I felt so exhausted for the first few weeks. Protien shakes really helped and my doc said eating about 2200 calories a day is needed for the body to heal. Staying away from sugars which cause inflammation helped . Sleep is important for the body to adjust and it is doing a lot of healing & adjusting. Muscle memory is forming new pathways in the brain for movements and healing.
Sending you healing blessings and I’m sure your grand kids are a big help ... lucky you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back