Journey Begins

VonnieN

Country
Australia Australia
After 8 years and two knee arthroscopies, trying to manage the associated pain and muscle loss, I finally saw a surgeon in January after my right knee locked up. He said we can go in and repair it but he said it really is at end of life.

The joint had increased in size from the last picture and developed but a has no cartilage. I can't straighten my legs which is now causing muscle wastage. My left leg is thinner than my right. I can manage going up stairs but down is terrible.

Being a competitive ballroom dancer I have been apprehensive as lots of women with TKR have had problems dancing. The surgeon of course is optimistic but not sure if he really understands the intensity of the sport.

I will know more tomorrow if the first will be done in April or May

@VonnieN
I am very confident you will get back the strength, flexibility after knee replacement. Your surgeon is optimistic because he does understand. Before my knee replacement that I delayed for years, my surgeon told me I could very easily get back my excellent range of motion. I did at eight weeks! I been doing my home yoga practice, walking about with no pain. It is worth the journey.

Hello @VonnieN , and welcome.

Do you have a date yet for your surgery?

Her are some articles, to help you prepare.
Do take particular notice of the last one - about amazing knee recoveries.

There is every chance you will be able to get back to ballroom dancing, as long as you don't try to rush your recovery. At first, your new knee will hate any movements that twist it at all.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Thank you for the information. I will learn tomorrow when it will happen. I will read the articles today so I am prepared.

Mutti3, thank you for the words of confidence. Generally I only get to hear the horror stories.

You'll get plenty of advice on here from the many fantastic posters. The one thing you'll hear over and over again is "take your time, you can't rush the recovery" and it's 100% correct. Being a competitive dancer you'll be chomping at the bit a few weeks into your rehab to get back to your previous standard. As a former very active sportsman and active weight lifter I did the same after my first surgery........ I didn't listen to the advice I was given and set myself back considerably as well as getting an earful from my surgeon. Read the articles provided and take it slowly. If you do you'll be back to your old standard it might just take a little longer than you might initially want it to.

good advice I saw the surgeon today and will have my 1st knee done on the 1st May and sec8bd 29 May four weeks later. I will be sensible and ensure that I can be back on the floor next year. I am happy to learn from others

I have learnt today that I will have both knees done in May four weeks apart, all going well.

Use this time before surgery to prepare. Recovery takes a long time (it really can drag a bit, just warning you upfront), so having a comfortable setup for your recovery can really help both physically and emotionally. Lots of people have an upstairs and a downstairs “nest.” I found a recliner really great for downstairs. Have a warm soft throw available... between the icing and the slight anemia (from blood loss) of recovery, I was cold a lot. A warm throw was lovely.

If you can just say “It takes as long as it takes” and not try to hurry along your recovery, you will find it goes more smoothly. Yes, it can take months to feel you are making the progress you really want/need to see, but in the end you will be happy you took the slow but steady path.

As far as preparing goes, I did some major shopping a couple of weeks before my surgery. I stocked up ( which is putting it mildly, stock piling might be a better term) I figured any household items we didn’t have to buy for a while was best for both my husband and for me. He doesn’t like to shop and I find it tedious to write out details of exactly what I want.

I stocked groceries. Had an October replacement,so I cooked a bunch of chicken soup and chili. Cleaned the house. Bought new Jammies , underwear and socks. The only thing I did get in advance was depends( diapers) that problem really came as a shock to me!

Use this time before surgery to prepare. Recovery takes a long time (it really can drag a bit, just warning you upfront), so having a comfortable setup for your recovery can really help both physically and emotionally. Lots of people have an upstairs and a downstairs “nest.” I found a recliner really great for downstairs. Have a warm soft throw available... between the icing and the slight anemia (from blood loss) of recovery, I was cold a lot. A warm throw was lovely.

If you can just say “It takes as long as it takes” and not try to hurry along your recovery, you will find it goes more smoothly. Yes, it can take months to feel you are making the progress you really want/need to see, but in the end you will be happy you took the slow but steady path.
Yes I am being prepared for a longer journey. My fitness level is good so I am hoping that it will hold me in good stead.

Yes I am being prepared for a longer journey. My fitness level is good so I am hoping that it will hold me in good stead.
Your fitness level can directly help you post operative. I continued my fitness program until the weekend before surgery. It will hold you in “ Good stead” , love the differences in expressions!

Being fit is always a good thing. Don't be tempted to think if you are not on your feet exercising, you are not attending your fitness: healing your knee is what will let you build up even more fitness later. :happydance:

have had the pre admission phone call done and dusted. Monday have bloods done and egg which is standard. the Monday prior to the operation (30 April) have to call yo find out what time the surgery will happen.

Am getting nervous especially reading some of the procedures and outcomes of some members. 10 days to go....

You will just fine! Interesting difference in what things are done from one localities to another. I had my date and time scheduled for 4 months in advance. I chose the date, the md office gave me the time.

Am getting nervous especially reading some of the procedures and outcomes of some members. 10 days to go....
Try not to let this worry you.

Remember that the vast majority of people who have knee replacements never come to BoneSmart. They experience an uncomplicated recovery and then move on with their normal lives.

Yes I am sure it is fine. some love to tell the horror stories had a few today at work argh. but I have in my mind that it will be uncomfortable so if I don't them all the better.. Reverse physchology :)

I too went into surgery fully expecting to be in bad pain somewhere along the way. And there was some of that, like when I forgot (slept through) a pain pill. But for the most part, the pain was merely bad at times, never truly horrible, and quite manageable with good meds.

If we never did anything due to horror stories we would never drive (everything), fly (crashes), put a foot in the ocean (shark might take it), eat (cancer everything, E. coli veggies, Salmonella, etc.), go barefoot (read about a young woman who got necrotizing fasciitis from dancing barefoot in the grass at a wedding), or travel to other countries (too many horrors to mention).

Five people in my birth family have had a total of nine knee replacements. None have had problems. Not one. Two people in Mr. Shoes' family have had TKR (they have excellent knee genes or something) and one had a problem, but it was fixed and she's happy now. Just goes to show that while problems can occur with TKR, most people have great results.

Yes agreed you have to trust the person you choose to provide the advice which I do. A week today will find out later in the week or Monday what time my surgery will be.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom