Reassurance please!

you'll get there @Cassidy .....it's just the waiting that does your head in, too much time to think of new worries! Which end of Kent are you? I used to live in Whitstable, worked outside Canterbury, for several years. Pre children tho, so it's probably changed out of all recognition

Hi @Cassidy yeah there is a few of us this side of the pond it is amazing though that you can communicate so easily now across the whole world.
Skiing ?? I keep blowing hot and cold about it I loved my skiing and would do all sorts of crazy things when I was a bit younger but I had a nasty crash in Austria about 10 years ago no permanent damage but it did hit my confidence along with getting older so I just don't know, I will go back to the mountains in a year or so and see how I feel may end up cross country skiing. I have just seen a video of my 7 yr old granddaughter on the slopes she is a brilliant skier it made me think it is time to hang mine up and leave it to the younger generations...we will see. Planning to climb Kilimanjaro when these 2 new hips are settled though a tick on the bucket list !
Pleased you are not going to use the v thing could be nasty, just been to the pool myself doing plenty of walking in the water and started breast stroke which seems ok with the new hip the old one hurts badly whatever I do so do my best to ignore it .
Stay positive its never as bad as you think it could be.

@anny - I live in Bromley, which is more South London than Kent these days. My brother and sister-in-law live in Whitstable and it's very up and coming now - the place to go for oysters and live music and always very busy at weekends. I used to spend childhood summer holidays at Birchington, just along the coast from Whitstable and in some ways that part of the coast has changed a lot less than the rest of the country; it still seems a bit behind the rest of the country, which isn't a bad thing! London is manic. Canterbury's lovely too, but impossible to park.

You're right about the waiting. I don't know if I'll have to wait until July/August, or if I'm in with a chance of a cancellation. We've just booked a week away in May, as I know it won't be before then (or it would be typical if it was!). I thought it would give us something to look forward to apart from an op. You sound like as much of an over-thinker as me (sounds better than worrier!), and I just get over one thought before another intrudes. I put it down to super-intelligence! (lol :happydance:)

@mcopt - I've only been skiing once - back in the '80's - and although I thoroughly enjoyed it, I knew I'd never get any better as I haven't got the nerve. I used to walk and cycle a lot, but I don't think I'll even get back to any of that, although I'm hoping to go rambling for the exercise. I swim too - not well, but it loosens the joints up - and I'm glad to hear that you managed breast stroke, as my crawl is pretty awful and I look a bit over the hill to be doing doggy paddle.

I've never been to Solihull, but it sounds as though you might be in for the snowy weather next week. All we keep getting here is rain, which is rather depressing, hence the holiday booked (above). A week in the sun (or at least warmth, even if it rains) sounds as though it might build me up before I get knocked sideways!!

Hey Cassidy. I'm guessing you will do splendidly and come through all of it strong and confident.
We can only do what we can to mitigate any complications and then get on with it.
I'm so so happy to be where I am.
Can't wait until you are on the healing side.
Hope you have a great weekend and the sun shines on you.:SUNsmile:

"I put it down to super-intelligence! (lol :happydance:)" I love your way of looking at it @Cassidy ....very perspicacious of you! :heehee: And if it's any consolation, although I was such an overthinker beforehand, now it's done I haven't really started on a new round of 'what-ifs', it's as if I used up my quota pre-op :)

I think you're right @anny, about using up your quota. Before I knew I needed this op - which is taking up all my worrying - I was dithering over whether to retire, whether I'd miss the children having left home, etc., etc., but now most of my super-intelligent brain (lol) is taken up with dislocations, infections, pain control, etc.

If it's not one thing it's another methinks!

And I can't cope with the "don't worry about something that might never happen" train of thought. Or, at least, I can't live by that motto - it must be nice to be that way inclined. I never have been. As I said, overthinking!

So pleased that your recovery seems to be progressing so well - you and @AJinNH give me inspiration for when my time comes (as do a lot of other forum members, but you two are the newbies, like me!).

Just going to venture into town with my stick, just in case, but not planning too much walking.

Happy Easter Weekend, Hip-a-long Cassidy.:flwrysmile:

I agree with @anny I’ve done a lot less worrying since the surgery is over, it’s a relief to be able to concentrate on getting strong and back to living. Also, day of surgery I expected to be a ball of nerves but was quite the opposite. I’m sure the presurgical meds helped with that, but even before they gave me anything I felt relatively calm and ready.

I think your trip away in May sounds like a wonderful idea. It will be here before you know it.

If it's not one thing it's another methinks!

We're women, Cassidy.....if we're not worrying about something, we worry that we aren't worrying! :rotfl:

Hope your trip to town went ok, don't push yourself, and enjoy the rest of the Easter weekend

Thanks @Mojo333 - and a Happy Easter to you too! I wanted to be Hopalong, but somebody pipped me to the post.

We're just going on a cruise for a week @AJinNH. We used to cycle off the boat and wander around town, but now we stick closer to the ship or go on tours. Hopefully this time next year I'll be back to cycling and wandering. Never mind, a week away will be lovely anyway.

I think you're right about the women thing @anny. My Gran was a great worrier, but she lived to 98 (with perfect hips!), so it didn't do her any harm. Maybe it's worrying that keeps us going!! I got back from town okay, with the help of a lift back from my DH (who doesn't worry about anything - his favourite saying is "it'll be all right", which sometimes drives me crazy). Then we went back out to see the new Wes Andersen film "Isle of Dogs -very strange, but entertaining.

Hope both you and @AJinNH keep improving.

Does bone on bone feel different for different people? My pain, when I have it, varies so much from time to time. Sometimes I'd even think it was muscular, and at other times it's like an electric shock.

Your guess is as good as mine @Cassidy I had bone on bone but couldn’t tell you which pain was from that or something else that it was reeking havoc with in the area. It’s all related though. I hope you get some relief soon.

Thanks @AJinH - I'm hobbling a bit more today, that's why I asked. Sometimes it's so minimal I feel a fraud, and on other days I need to hold onto the kitchen worktop to get around. Mysterious!

Sometimes I'd even think it was muscular, and at other times it's like an electric shock.
I've seen both of these descriptions on the forum and as AJ says, mine had a multitude of other pains where finally I just hurt all over.
I got desperate by the end if it all ...And Super Miserable.
Be happy it's not always horrible but don't delay until it is....
Trying to talk yourself out of this, are you?:no-fin:
Hope you have a Good Day:SUNsmile:

Repeat after me @Cassidy , “I am not a fraud! My body sometimes compensates for my bad hip more than other times. But it won’t go on like this forever, and soon I’ll pay the price if I procrastinate.”

Let me know if that helps :console2:

@Mojo333 and @AJinNH - you're both so masterful! No, I don't think I'm talking myself out of it now, as it's progressed over the last few weeks, so I'm getting less good days and more "should I take my walking stick" days. (Not that the stick helps much, but it does justify my getting the seat on the 'bus that says it's "for those less able to stand"!). It's just hard to describe the feeling to anybody who hasn't had it. I think my husband thinks it's a dull ache, which sometimes it is, but what I can't get over to him is that way it sometimes makes you gasp with surprise as it catches - and sometimes even stops you walking momentarily. Just about to ring the admissions lady to tell her that I'll take any cancellations after the 20th May (can't forego my holiday now!), and hope that hurries it up a bit. I can face convalescing better in the sun (not that that's guaranteed in an English summer). :SUNsmile:

Does bone on bone feel different for different people?
Definitely. I depends on the extent of damage to the joint and how long you have been limping around. For some bone on bone pre-op pain is far worse than any post op discomfort.

Hope you get a cancellation slot!

My OS gave me this metaphor. The surface of the ball part of the hip joint should somewhat like a bowling ball. Smooth and even. Mine, he says, looks like a sweet gum ball and everytime I move the stickers catch a nerve sending those electric shocks down the leg! :yikes:

Sometimes it's so minimal I feel a fraud, and on other days I need to hold onto the kitchen worktop to get around. Mysterious!

I was like this Cassidy....could go for days with minimal disruption to walking....convince myself there was nothing wrong.....then all of a sudden it 'caught' and I could barely take one step after another. I looked at Josephine's anaology of a crumbling step and decided that was spot on....a crumb of bone that occasionally locked up the joint without any warning....no doubt then that something needed doing, it wasn't going to go away by itself! Hope you get a cancellation soon....and don't let yourself talk it down in the 'good' periods :bignono::heehee:

Okay gumball hip. Got your answer.
Can't wait for you to join the Ceramic Ball Society:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie