THR BeBe finally!!!

:hi: @BeBe
Hope you're doing well with hubby back at work.
Wondering how your other hip is holding out?
I feel for those who have two that need replacement at once.
The pain on the non op side must overshadow the loss of pain on the op side :tantrum:
Hopefully you're doing well and your pain is manageable.
Hugs and wishes for a good day! :loveshwr:

Hi all! Post op day 5 -6
I started out Wednesday ok with the goal to be walking around the house for a few minutes every hour. The manuevering required to let dogs in and out, bathroom gymnastics, familiarizing myself with the PT stretches etc I probably did more than I needed. Pain in am was tolerable with the ESTyl and Valium and my continuous ice, when I'm in the recliner. I did feel kind of tired, headachy, and washed out so succumbed to a late afternoon early evening nap in the recliner. I did take a TwC prior to my nap.

DH got home and woke me at 7 pm and I swear he sawed my leg off at the knee!! I actually accused him of being a CivilWar surgeon! Some of the worst pain yet!
Not hip joint pain. Just groin, thigh, KNEE!, shin, IT band, muscle pain! Just shaking. My right leg is longer and I have to raise up on my toes on left to slide right leg forward. I have started wearing my Vionic shoes on only the left foot, so I don't have to play ballerina with the walker.
More Oxy, more ice, back to bed and then up at 10 pm to watch TV til 3am. This too shall pass.

@SaraK You are correct about the balancing of activity, meds, pre-existing conditions. ICE! is king! And movement also for the extreme muscle stiffness and GI issues. I am amazed that the actual hip joint is so quiet through all of this. Well DUH! It's fixed now...!

@TinyMom The leg length thing. The OS did not come right out and say "collapsed" stage whatever" but given the X-ray was so changed from Oct and the femoral head being "cube" shaped and his comment of "oh you're way past bone on bone"...
Our preop conversation was focused on whether the SuperPath approach would be appropriate for something that might be more complicated procedurewise. Adjustments to length for sure, plus I have the left leg happening soon too. I do need to talk to him about it specifically.
Just wasn't prepared for the unrelenting issue of "log leg" soft tissue involvement! It hurts!!! I can't bear weight on it. Has yours settled down yet? I have to go check out your thread.

@hikejunkie PT for me right now is less about reps of a certain exercise (that is laughable) than just being able to stretch and I could use massage. Getting around the house with the walker is a chore.
I go again tomorrow am.

@anny I know! A week!! I need to head to your post op thread to get the blow by blows. The leg is like a ball and chain!

@Mojo333 How the H did you go through bilateral!?! Seriously God Bless You! And thank you from the bottom of my heart for your realistically positive reminders that this is all temporary. It's a better day today!

@Layla
Just saw your post. I lay down the iPad and it doesn't refresh?
DH is coming home for lunch. He rearranged his schedule a bit and his office is close so
he comes home to check on me and feed me.
And yes the other hip is not cooperating well. My DH and I are having a disagreement
on when to do the left. He wants me to wait as long as possible and I want to do it sooner.
Will be topic of conversation at my post op with OS

I have to make my rounds on some other people lots of catching up to do.
Thank you for catching up on me!

Unless DH is the one feeling the pain, my vote is that you get to decide! Plus, in my case, getting 2nd done in same insurance year saved me a boatload of money - I call it my 2-for-1 special. :heehee:

@BeBe - sorry you are dealing with so much pain! That first week is so hard! Hang in there - you are correct, It will pass!

I didn’t have all the same pains you are experiencing... as they say, we are all different! My pain was/is concentrated in a specific area, from the midline on the front of my thigh around the side to my IT band, from hip to knee. For the first couple days, I had what you describe in that I could not get my muscles moving, and sometimes felt like I had to get up on my toes on the left to move my right leg forward. That subsided as I got more feeling back (accompanied by shooting nerve pain - not so fun!) I am left with significant tightness, some numbness and weakness, and pain that is gradually getting better. I have quite a ways to go. The feeling of my leg being too long is definitely going away. Give that time.

Sending you good wished for healing and plenty of rest. :flwrysmile: Stay strong, you can do this!!

Sorry you're having so much pain @BeBe ......I'd share some if I could cos mine is minimal. As for round 2, if I was getting pain I would be getting booked in for the other side....even a date in the future would give you hope that the end is in sight. I thought I would be booking in my left very soon as it was a coin toss as to which to do first, but it hasn't even whimpered since the op so I'm wondering what to do.......wait for it to get painful (and risk not having insurance by then) or just get it done anyway based on xray evidence. Oh for a crystal ball! Sending hugs across the world, we'll sort it all out one way or another :yes: Off to bed again cos I can barely keep my eyes open.....what's the name for animals that sleep all the time? Think I'm turning into one :heehee:

Hoping the pain is easing up and things are improving for you. :flwrysmile:

Bebe, hope all hating better.
How did I do it? Big Drugs and Faith, and no choices...
Hated life for first weeks, now am ever so grateful.
Healing hugs!

Hi @BeBe Happy One Week Anniversary!
I hope you're feeling some pain relief today.
My heart goes out to you. The knee pain you described sounded excruciating.
Hopefully when you fall asleep at 3:00 AM you're resting comfortably.
Rough early weeks, thankfully it gets better.
Praying for your comfort and hoping you are able to enjoy Easter. :console2: Hugs!

Hi @BeBe, just checking on you to see how you are feeling today. Hope you are getting restful sleep and feeling a little better.

2 steps forward, 1 step back....are you going forwards or backwards today? Shame we haven't got crystal balls :sad: hope it's giving you some respite so that you can enjoy the Easter weekend :happyfeet:(not an Easter chick, but a penguin with attitude always makes me smile :))

Hi all
day 7! One week!!

The truth -another rough day.
PT this am and consisted of gentle until they hurt stretches. I seem to have difficulty with squaring up my pelvis and laying flat, that's it. Those crazy thigh, groin, and knee IT band muscles, tendons, just so twitchy, spasms mess. Leg is definitely longer hip to knee. and I have been elevating and icing continuously, no bruising, not a lot of swelling but is at incision and knee.
Just tonight my hip joint incision area has started to grumble. But that is totally fine compared to the thigh issues. Hip joint is maybe a 1-2, thigh knee muscles,7-8 when they all sing. PT focused on correct walking gait as I have compensated badly over past years. Gave me tips to be conscious of while walking. I am so much better with a left shoe with heel on and just my sock on the right. Otherwise the bad limp.:wink:
I have EDS also and I'm sure this has complicated my outcome. Plus I should have had this surgery a year ago.

I am back to a better pain management routine
now that the poop fairy knows where I live and the IBS can settle down.
10 minutes of walking at least every hour in the house, unless I am napping.
If I don't walk then the rigor mortis sets in. And the thigh choir tunes up.

All in all you would think my surgery was yesterday. I am not weight bearing on the right and my walking is one step at a time SLOW.
I'm adding these things so I can look back and remember.
Goals are to watch myself for correct postures movements carefully.
Maintain a positive attitude that I can get through this and have courage to do it all again on the left.
There's more but I'm suddenly exhausted .

Love you guys!:roseshwr:

Aww BeBe, that's too bad. Sorry you had a rough day.

Just think of all you'll learn from your first THR. It's good you're keeping an account of your recovery here.
We often hear that no two recoveries are alike, even with the same person.
So your next may feel easy peasy. Big difference is you'll be going into surgery with one good hip as opposed
to two bad ones.

You will get through this. I think you'll notice progress week by week. Seven days post op is still
so very early. It's great to hear your pain is well managed and swelling is under control....positives!
I hope you get some good restorative sleep tonight :sleep:
Hugs
@BeBe

Hi BeBe.....sorry you're doing the hard yards......you make me feel quite lazy! I walk if I need to get somewhere, do a couple of heel slides when I'm in bed if I remember, and spend hours a day snoring my head off (do hope my physio hasn't found this site, I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of standing up exercises now, as well as the bed ones, and I'm not sure where my exercise sheet has got to). Do you think you could be doing too much exercise wise? After all, it took a while to get our tendons etc into the state they now are, and they need a little tlc after what the surgeon did to them :bawl:. I know it goes against the grain to do nothing, we're hardwired to fix ourselves, but we are only a week out, so give yourself permission to be lazy like me :heehee: Have a good Easter....reclining on the couch with a massive chocolate egg would be a good start :wink:

@BeBe - thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I am sorry you are still hurting today!! But I have to say part of your post made me lol :heehee: (as the fairy sometimes forgets where I live!) It’s good to see that through it all, your sense of humor is intact!

The fact that your surgery was a year overdue will certainly make things harder in recovery. All the muscles have to relearn their roles so you can walk and move properly again. That takes time and it sure can be painful, so try to muster up some extra patience (I have to tell myself the same). And if any of the PT hurts, don’t do it. I am finding @Layla is exactly right when she talks about progress week by week. Today sometimes feels worse than yesterday (or even the day before that), but small steps forward each day - on one front or another - do add up to noticeable progress week to week. These early days are tough, and sometimes not-so-early days can be, too. You have a great attitude - keep your eyes on the better days ahead!

Sleep well, and hugs to you!!

Is going to get better soon.
When you consider the surgery, one week is nothing.
Whatever you do, don't rush it and don't compare with others.
Each of our surgeries had it's own uniqueness as our bodies are unique.
Hang in there friend...do only what you must AND keep that ice going.
Wishing you a peaceful Weekend!:friends:

Last edited:
I totally agree with hikejunkie - PT should never hurt! And it does sound like your aches and pains are a result of PT. Hips don't really need PT - walking is the best exercise and then not to excess.

Good morning! Happy Easter!
Post day 9

Yesterday was kind of a washout as I woke up about 2am with a numb pins and needles leg. Yep the whole thing. Different from the log leg. Finally medicating to sleep about 5 am, then woke at noon. Leg was better numbness wise but muscles achy. From not moving so long.

This was in part due to my atrocious low back issues, and having to staying somewhat immobile with right leg elevated while sleeping. I just can't stay in one position long.

So the PT thing. Therapist was trying to measure my ROM and stretch. And ascertain the degree my hips being out of level from compensation prior to surgery. I am kind of a mess in that regard. My thigh muscles, all of them, are limiting my ROM, all are feeling like a very pulled spasmy muscle. Not like an overworked sore muscle.
This is not a result of PT. This was from day one of surgery and is still an issue. I go back to PT on fridays only.

The biggest "exercise" she wants me to do is lay flat on the bed with my legs squared up to my hips and hips level and just lay there and let my muscles relax flat. Hip flexors are uncooperative with laying flat. Knee will not allow leg to lay flat. Groin attachments want to cry if they relax? Crazy but true. She gave me other minimal things to do at my tolerance. Like akle pumps. Really minor things that just help my restless legs from felling like they are jumping out of my skin. If I didn't have these thigh muscle issues I feel life would be a bit less complicated post op. I want my hot tub bath ! But noooo...surgically site.

Oddly my actual surgical site and hip joint is secondary and is staying a pretty consistent 1 pain level. It is probably a good thing my thigh issues are there because otherwise I would be hard to keep in the recliner! I am walking with the walker around in the house. Trying for 5-10 min every hour. Concentrating with proper form and trying for no limp. I am not weight bearing completely on my right leg. Difficult to do with LLD. Husband is waiting on me hand and foot.

Oh and thankful for the small things...I have had no TEDS -
OS just uses baby aspirin BID.
I would post more but my old iPad is goofy acting, and I've had to restart this several times, just gets lost.
Thanks for all your positives and support!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back