what to expect (generally)

TerryS

Country
United States United States
my TKR (left) is on March 19 and I was wondering what I can expect while in the hospital after the surgery generally speaking. I realize not all hospitals/experiences are the same. I would just like to get a bit of an idea. Thanks.:bath:

@TerryS welcome to Bonesmart! You'll note that I moved your thread from the Recovery forum to the Pre-op forum. The Recovery forum is meant for people who have had surgery to discuss their progress. As you have not yet had surgery, this is a better place for your new thread.

yes, I just now realized what I did. sorry. :banghead:

Generally what you can expect is to be bumped out of hospital on day 2 or 3! But when you get home, you need to be well versed in the content of all these articles

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

In the hospital you can expect to pay attention to controlling your post-pain. That’s seldom a problem but everyone wants you to have good pain control before going home. You’ll be expected to stand on your new knee soon after surgery. You’ll get some very basic physical therapy aimed at getting you safely home: walking, toileting, how to handle stairs, and getting in and out of a car.

You will be given food to eat too. All my previous surgeries were abdominal, so when after this one I was told I could eat anything I wanted just two hours after surgery, I was delighted! :heehee:

Actually I was glad to get out of the hospital on day two!! It was so much more comfortable at home. Actually it is a relief, all the worry about surgery is now behind you. I was on pain meds for two weeks and pretty groggy. I spent most of my time on the couch or bed with my knee propped up on three pillows. You are so tired after surgery that you need lots of naps!!

I was made to walk from the hall, to my bed, as soon as I left the recovery room. Not pleasant but I lived. Expect to be woken up every few hours, to have your temp, oxygen level, and blood pressure checked. I didn’t get much sleep in there. You will probably be walking to and from the toilet, unless you have a catheter. I was very happy when I got to go home. Don’t hesitate to let them know when you’re in pain.

True, I walked to the toilet at about 2 hours post op. The nurse was mad, apparently she thought I was clarvoyant and would know to call her. After that, they made me use a walker which I would drag along behind me when I walked. My doctor saw me doing that and laughed and said, she does not have to use a walker!!

I was to let them know when I had to go, as well. It would take a while for me to be done. They’d leave me in the bathroom and go off to do something else. There I’d be, having to call them and wait for them to come help me back to bed.

It is ironic really that we are hospital experts now that we are no longer in the hospital!! I did not know what to expect the first time but now I know exactly what to do!! But, hopefully I will never need to use this knowledge!!!

important information you need to know, how many inpatient days will you stay. I was in the hospital one day. Hospital are keeping people less and less days. Ask questions and be an informed patient! Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: pdx
you are right, that is so silly. Of course I just got up and walked to bed and then they were mad!!!
I did that too with my second knee when they seemed to forget me in there. The problem with not waiting, of course, is that some people are a bit lightheaded and could fall.

• Agree
Reactions: pdx
It's not uncommon to get light-headed after surgery or just lying flat for a time, so you're at increased risk of falling. The new catch phrase is, "No one walks alone." Plus, they want to make sure you can get out of bed & maneuver the walker or crutches properly. (And take it from me, you don't want to suddenly drop your surgical leg off the side of the bed when you sit up. Ow ow ow!)

Yes, you want to lower your leg over the side gradually. Sudden drops are painful! Helpers are really handy, as are leg lifters, which you can use to lower your leg gently when getting out of bed.

True, I walked to the toilet at about 2 hours post op. The nurse was mad, apparently she thought I was clarvoyant and would know to call her. After that, they made me use a walker which I would drag along behind me when I walked. My doctor saw me doing that and laughed and said, she does not have to use a walker!!

Ahahahaha, lol!!! The toileting post surgery sounds like me!! I did that after my scope surgery, lol...but then my bladder leaked on the way and I tried to stop and clean up, and they wouldn't let me. G-d must chuckle at us sometimes :)

I like what they do at the hospital where I go. When you need something, you push the call button. Someone at the desk answers right away to see what you need. If you need meds, they send in your nurse. if you need help going to the restroom, they send in an aide who helps you to the restroom, then waits in your room, usually straightening the bed while waiting, until you open the door, at which time they help you back to your bed or chair. They are mean though and have bed alarms that screech if you try to get out of bed alone....:heehee:

I just noticed your surgery date was today-I hope all went well and will look for you on the other side. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back