Revision TKR Here I go again!<<.

I suggest you go see a chiropractor. They always helped me

So I called my OS to get a refill for Tramadol today. I had to leave a message on the patient portal. The bright asst call me back and said, "What's going on? Do you still have pain?" I told him that I have very little pain at rest but on my feet all day at work teaching and by mid day, needed something for pain ( more than Tylenol). He said, "Hmm its been 7 months!" "I know!" I told him. I had a year check up in July but requested one sooner, next month, cause something is just not right!

I'm a teacher, not a doctor but even I know when something isn't right! It's like the same thing I felt when I had the revision. I understand it can take year to heal but I should be going forward NOT backwards in my range. I left PT at 3 months with 85 flexibility and probably 75 now! Sooo frustrating! I just tried a chiropractor, massage, cupping and dry needling!!

I guess I need a fairy godmother!:blackcloud::gaah::bawl:

I had some pain when walking or being on my feet for longer periods of time at 7 months and even longer. The only thing that alleviated my pain was slowly building my walking time. I believe my problem was that I hadn’t built up the muscles around my TKR and went back to teaching which required being on my feet/legs a lot. My recovery was not conventional and I had a lot of PT, even strength work at 4-5 months. My check ups with x-rays looked great. But this pain continued even into the second year post op, until I started walking and building my time slowly. Now, nearly a year later I can stand and walk with no issues and since I retired I make an effort to walk every day. I’m not saying this is your problem, just relaying my experience.

Thanks @KarriB! It’s nice to hear from others who are not progressing as fast as the doctors think they should. The asst acted like I should have no pain at 7 months. I should’ve asked Jim if he’d ever had 3 knee surgeries within 2 years!

Great to hear from REAL people with REAL experiences on this forum!

I still have pains or aches in different places around my knee. Of course, it's nothing like it was a year ago, but my knee still lets me know it's there. It's so much better than it was before surgery!

:wowspring:@sistersinhim I’m glad for you! I’m not there yet, maybe one day!:groan:

You will get there! Your new knee is only 6 months old. Remember, you are only half the way of a healed knee!

Saw my OS today! Heard the same blah, blah, blah...! " your ROM will probably not improve..., a scope won't help- you've already had one..., there's nothing more we can do...!" What kind of life am I doomed to?!

I just struggle with many doctors not having any answers for me!!

I'm 51 years old and limp and hurt like I'm 70! (in fact , my dad is 75 and walks better and had a TKR at 70!)

I'm very angry, frustrated and depressed at the ability of the experts to look me in the face and have no answers!

I’m so sorry that you’re still in so much pain and not getting any help from your doctor.

I suggest you find a different OS that is aways from your current. I fresh set of eyes would be much better.

Have your tried building up your knee as KarriB suggested, by walking? It’s a good low impact exercise that strengthens all the major knee muscles. These muscles help support the knee. Stronger knee muscles can help with pain and for longer periods of standing. It’s a very gradual process. I find that if I slack off from my daily walking for a few weeks (as I recently had to do for an illness), my knees can get stiff again.

I agree you could consider getting another opinion from a different OS. You know your knee and body better than anyone. Listen to what it tells you.

@SusieShoes i have tried walking. I work every day and get in about 6,000 steps! Walking is terribly painful. I’m swollen and hurting at the end of my day. I’ll admit, other than working I don’t do much other walking. I ice and elevate when I get home.

I tried walking in the pool! It was great exercise but it didn’t really help my range. The issue is my quads. Their weak from limping for years and scarring from other surgeries. The OS says that it’s difficult to tackle scar tissue that has attached so high up on my leg.

Thanks for the support! I’ll try another surgeon. I’m just limited in how far I can travel and how to financially fund traveling to see a other surgeon.

You have had many procedures on your poor leg in 2 and a half years. It is still upset with all that and struggling to recover. I know you have no choice in your job, but 6000 steps is probably too much per day for your particular leg at this stage, so that could be part of the reason for your continued pain.

@Jockette i have wondered that! I always thought it was best to stay busy and active but it may be impeding my progress!

Busy and active is one thing, but built up gradually. My guess is you had to go back to work and was bang, back to a lot of walking and you didn’t have the luxury to do it gradually.

Is it possible at all to make some adjustments at work?

@jockett I often sit and put my leg up- not "toes to nose" I have 22 first graders! :dubious:

Do you think I can improve at this point in recovery ( 8 months)?

Do you think I can improve at this point in recovery ( 8 months)?
Most definitely you can improve still. At 8 months you are even healed all the way yet! Since having to work, the best thing you can do when you're off work, is to ice and elevate as much as possible. Your knee is not happy with what you are doing now, so it's time to give it more rest.

@jockett I often sit and put my leg up- not "toes to nose" I have 22 first graders! :dubious:
That’s great that you can do that. Teaching is a really busy job and first graders are so young and need a lot of help. ( my daughter taught first grade!)

I’m sure you still have plenty of improvement waiting to happen, but I think with your leg’s history and your activity level it will take a while. Is there any chance of modifying your activity at work?

@Jockette i have some wonderful little girls that love to help me! I sometimes sit and give orders-they beg to help— lucky me!

I sure hope you’re right about my knee needing more time!

Thanks for the kind words! I needed them!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts