Complex hip replacement

LINDZ1975

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi I am due to have a complex left hip replacement sometime in the next month. I'm just waiting for my admission letter.

I have been told I will be having done under general anaesthetic and I am feeling scared about not waking up from it. I have had general anaesthetic before but always scared that I am not going to wake and this time I have been told it might be a long operation 3-4 hours long

Also my surgeon has told me that there is a 2% chance of death so this has also scared me.

I have been for pre op tests and am overweight but they have not told me to lose weight

Any reassurances would be helpful

Thank you
Lindsey

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: I know it feels scary, but they are going to take great care of you. It will feel like a nap! And each day is one day closer to your new life with less pain. I waited too long on my first hip out of fear, and now I am looking forward to getting rid of crummy hip 2 later this year so I can get back to dancing with the kids again !!!:dancy::happydance::egypdance:

@LINDZ1975 Welcome to BoneSmart! Hope you get that letter soon!
I have been told I will be having done under general anathestic and I am feeling scared about not waking up from it
You will meet with the anaesthetist before going to theatre. Discuss your fears with them. They totally understand and will reassure you. They will also watch you carefully throughout the procedure.

He's an article from our Library that might help: How do I know I will be safe during the operation?

@LINDZ1975
My bilateral THR was done under general anesthesia. It took about 3 and one half hours. I had no significant problems under anesthesia, and fairly mild issues...some nausea...upon waking.
I am just fine!
2% chance of me dying today perfectly healthy probably.
Don't stress on the fine print too much.
Glad you are here. Lots of reassurance!

Don’t know how it works in UK but int the states they legally have to tell us every possible side effect/hazard. However, when you look at all the stats, the largest one is successful surgery and recovery.

Hi @LINDZ1975
I had the same fear. You're certainly not alone in feeling that way.
The day of surgery the anesthesiologist will explain all, answer questions,
and try to aleve your fears. Trust that they know exactly what they're doing.
Everyone in the room that day will want the best possible outcome for you. Please trust that.
Wondering if you have a surgery date yet. If so, please provide it so we can add it to your signature.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you await surgery.

Hi Layla I don't have a surgery date yet. Just waiting for the admission letter. I know I get admitted on the day of surgery.

LINDZ, I think almost everybody is scared of surgery and of anaesthetics but there's really no need for it. I've worked in theatres for over 50 years and I've never known or even heard of a death on the table during a hip replacement. Not ever! But they are legally required to tell you all the negative, scary things like infection, blood clots and even death! It's a legal thing.

About this anaesthetic, did he tell you if you would be having a spinal or a general? Mostly these days spinals are known to be much, much safer and they would give you a nice sedative so you'd sleep throughout the whole thing. You'll wake up in recovery feeling all soft and warm and cosy!

As for the 3-4 hour surgery, don't worry. You won't know anything about it so put it out of your mind!

I'm curious though, as to what it is that makes this hip replacement complex? Can you tell me anything about that?

My revision was complex but most of all I can do all the things I enjoy and you will too! There will be so much for you to look foreword to.

Sending healing blessings your way!:prayer:

Hi Josephine

Thank you for your message. My operation is complex because I don'thave a proper hip joint to begin with i was born with CDH when I was born also there might be a issues with the metal in the pelvis and I have a few screws that are floating around in my leg xx
My surgeon thinks that it better with a general anaesthetic and maybe a epidural for pain relief

Talk soon
Lindsey

@Hippielife ... you have been through a lot in looking at your signature! Sure hope you got compensated for that recall that did so much damage. Was the right subject to recall as well or just abnormal wear? Will you be having a revision on the right soon?

My operation is complex because I don't have a proper hip joint to begin with i was born with CDH
That's actually not a significant problem. I've scrubbed for quiter a number of cases like yours and it wasn't difficult to sculpt a new socket into the pelvis. Sometimes they had to use a reinforcement like a shell or mesh and bone graft but it really wasn't a big deal.
also there might be a issues with the metal in the pelvis and I have a few screws that are floating around in my leg
Very, very few of those screws were a problem or got in the way. And even if they did, removing them wasn't a big deal either. In my book, none of this makes your hip replacement "complex" but then I've had a lot of experience in places where they had a lot of experience doing them.
My surgeon thinks that it better with a general anaesthetic and maybe a epidural for pain relief
Oh neat!

Hi Josephine

thank you for your reply it sounds like it might go well from you are saying I hope it does and that I shouldn't worry about it too much. I hate waiting for the admission letter, when I get that I have to do MRSA Swab Test again straight away and then 3 days before surgery I need to use a bacterial body wash each day.

@LINDZ1975 Sounds like this is going to be a bit easier than you thought. It's very hard waiting - the worst part actually. Just keep busy, keep posting here. And if you are the least bit worried or have any questions - post here. We have all been in that space.

Have you tried calling the booking office to ask about your letter?

Hi
still not received letter, I wish that they would hurry up I do try to keep busy but I always keep thinking about it, and I am still worrying about not waking up after the general anathestic, Daft isn't it.

Not daft. Many have the same worries.
The what ifs can really get to you especially while you are waiting.
Hope you can find some un-hip related distractions today.:) :-) (:

@LINDZ1975 Please try and call the booking office if only to make sure they have your name on a list somewhere.

Well the last time you posted was on Friday so you wouldn't have received it over the weekend, would you?
when I get that I have to do MRSA Swab Test again straight away and then 3 days before surgery I need to use a bacterial body wash each day.
Yes, everybody had to do that for hip and knee replacements.

Hi All

I have tried to call the booking office to find out when My surgery might be but couldn't get through I am guessing that things have been delayed from the bad weather we have had. I do understand that but it is a bit annoying having to keep waiting and putting things on hold like for example my birthday is on 2nd april and I can't plan anything incase I will be in hospital. I am going to try the office again today.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back