Revision surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mommasp

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi all. I’m having a revision surgery on 14th Feb. I originally had a TKR a year ago but it was a failure. I’ve been to hell and back in that year and don’t recognise the person I’ve become. I used to be so fit and now I can only walk sort distances and need a stick.

My surgeon couldn’t identify the problem and kept telling me to keep working on it. A second, and indeed third opinion showed the patella was overstuffed and was never going to be right without a revision so here goes.

I’m only 53 so I need thus knee to last a long time. Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

Last edited:
@Mommasp ,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!!

I had a revision in 2014, the revision is so much better than the TKR, I expect it to last to the end.
Time to heal is about the same as a TKR.
If you click on a Yellow Revision prefix in the knee recovery forum, a list of members with revisions will pop up. You will find members currently going through Revisions.
Also look at the February Valentines list, you may find a surgery buddy having a revision.

Your surgery is right around the corner, here's the recovery Guidelines.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

So sorry to hear about your difficult experience with your new knee, @Mommasp. This forum has been a tremendous help for me. Lots of great people in here with experience and wonderful repository of knowledge. I am 15 months out and am needing a second revision myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @AThom. I’m cautiously optimistic about my surgery and look forward to seeing a good level of improvement. I didn’t know you could get a second revision. Good luck with it.

It sounds like you've had a terrible year @Mommasp, which means that this revision and this year are going to be a whole lot better for you.

Stay positive and optimistic - wishing you all the very best with the revision and hoping you will see major improvements that get you back to where you were or better.

Take care.

Thanks @robhunt3. I’m glad to see the back of it to be honest. I’m checked in at the clinic now and looking forward to having the surgery behind me so I can start my recovery. Waiting to see consultant to find out whT time tomorrow I will be going to theatre. Fingers crossed

Best wishes for your surgery.
I also had a revision and my recovery was no more difficult than my original recovery.

Thanks, @Mommasp

Best of luck with your surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
but it was a failure
third opinion showed the patella was overstuffed
Do bear in mind that implants don't fail but the surgical technique can be wanting.

Best of luck with your revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads