Dreading it

Ursula72

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
My appointment with consultant is January 18th. My doctor has referred me because my X-rays show how my two hips have deteriorated day in 2 years.

The pain in my right hip is really eye watering. I cannot stand up from my chair. I know a hip replacement will come and I’m a big wuss as I’m scared and worried about recovery time.

My son works 12 hour shifts and my best mate Tony, is 82, struggles with his health, so, after my op I will have to mostly look after myself. I’ve bought a walking frame. I’m going to buy another for upstairs bedroom and am preparing stuff. I’m 72 soon so I am past my sell by date. Plus I have osteoarthritis in my arms- what an old wreck. I feel sometimes it’s all a bit hopeless

Hi @Ursula72 you have taken a big and important step in the right direction by coming on this forum you are not alone in this .There are so many helpful knowledgeable and friendly people here who have gone through the hardships hip problems cause and come through the other side a much improved person . We are all scared of surgery I have 2 hip ops scheduled very soon of course it scares me I am not ashamed to admit it and I have done many challenging things in my life but I want it because the magic of modern medicine allows us a second chance with hips. Stay with this forum there are loads of people who will come along with help and support to get you through this :SUNsmile:

Welcome to the forum @Ursula72 I'm so sorry that you are in pain from your hip, but it's not hopeless. There are so many people on this forum who can tell you what a new lease of life their bionic hips have given them.

Once you have had your hips done, hopefully it will be the impetus to cope with the OA in your arms and you'll be able to better support your friend. I think not being very mobile and in pain makes us think we are unable to anything, a bit of depression there, but we're not writing ourselves off yet (by the way, 70 is the new 50 :wink::yes:)

Neither are you a wuss (well, no more than any of us) :) I think every post I've read from people waiting for their op is a mixture of 'can't wait to be better' and "I'm scared and how will I cope?".

There are so many kind and helpful people here who will patiently answer your questions, share their experience and listen to your fears. You've taken the first step by joining the forum :friends:

Hi @Ursula72. So glad you have appointment scheduled with consultant. I live alone and took care of myself with very little assistance with my first hip and will do same with second in a few weeks. Are you using walking frame now? I used cane and crutches prior to my first surgery and it helped relieve pressure a bit.

Oh no, no....@Ursula
As long as we have life, breath and faith, there IS hope!
I'm so sorry for your suffering. Most of us experienced what you've described but this surgery is life changing.
There are many your age and older who's lives were transformed after THR.
Feeling anxious and fearful is normal but we're here and we can help you through.
We'll offer helpful advice and help console your fears. You're never alone here, Ursula.
If you're feeling like you're past your "Sell by...." date. You won't feel like that afterward.
You'll be out swiveling those hips and feeling 10 yrs younger :happyfeet:

Stay in touch, we'd love to journey through with you.
Sending a hug and wishing you a great Sunday!

Welcome Ursula! You made me chuckle when you said you were past your sell by date. :loll:Some of us here are younger than you and feel the same. When our bodies hurt it seems like we are much older than we are.
You'll be out swiveling those hips and feeling 10 yrs younger :happyfeet:
Can't wait till I can do the penguin strut!

I’m scared and worried about recovery time
Everybody is, my dear! Once it's all over, you'll wonder what you worried about!
after my op I will have to mostly look after myself
That also is doable.
I’ve bought a walking frame. I’m going to buy another for upstairs bedroom and am preparing stuff
Don't waste your time and money. You can get these things on loan through the Social Services. Also a toilet seat and a perching stool for the kitchen and many other things. They will send an Occupational Therapist round to assess just what you need. You should also take a look at this article and see all the neat things that are available. Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home

I suggest you ask for a leg lifter as well as toilet seat frames and that extra walker.

Obviously I don't know how you're fixed financially or for room, but you should also look at this Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery because you'll find it a lot more comfortable than getting into and out of bed. You can hire one for a few weeks, have a search around in your area (internet or Yell.com).
I’m 72 soon so I am past my sell by date.
Think better of yourself, my dear! I'm 4 years older than you and still going strong! No way I consider myself past my sell by date! Still got eons to go!

Here's some helpful reading

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Also our recovery guidelines

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

A recliner was my saving grace...I also think it would be super helpful, as bedroom is upstairs and sleep can be a sporadic event post op.
I will say I managed recovery stumbling blocks better than I expected after dealing with moving about with Hip pain before my surgery...
The payoff is amazing!

Last edited:
I got a lift chair prior to surgery. Slept in it some before surgery and for a couple of weeks afterwards. Think this time around I will also set a bar stool by counter.

Easy to get despondent at any age.
Your tackling your issues head on and that's the right thing.
People get a new lease of life after hip replacement and you will too.
Let me assure you that things are not hopeless in your case even though it can feel that way.
Roll on your appointment and your surgery date.
Keep Well.
Joe.......

Hi @Ursula,
Hope you're having a good day.....
Another recliner fan here :thumb: I used a lift recliner.
Surprisingly comfy to sleep in, obviously easy to get out of.
Highly recommend if it's in he budget. I've read you can rent them from some medical
supply stores.

My mom had THR about 7 yrs before me and was jealous of my chair.
She would say "During recovery I never had a chair that catapulted me out!" I'd reply "I don't have one either!"
Catapult to me means HURL! Pretty frightening thought straight out of surgery :heehee:
Warm wishes for a great week.

@Ursula72 We have all been in your space and fully understand your anxiety. Keep coming here and posting. It does help to ease the nerves.

Having had both hips replaced I can confirm - you won't regret this decision!

Welcome @Ursula72. You have indeed come to the right place. The folks here at Bone Smart are amazing; they will be with you through thick and thin, comforting you, giving caring advice if needed, and they have all been where you are now. . .pre-op.

In fact, I had my third surgery on the right hip a little over a month ago and I'm 82. I was scared out of my wits pre-op. That's, of course, pretty normal. But the rewards are really worth all the anxiety. The recovery is different for each of us but there will always be someone here who will cheer you on whatever your situation.

Take all your questions with you when you go for your appointment and it would be lovely if your friend could go with you as your advocate. My SO had his own questions as well. Don't hold back. And don't even consider that you are past the "sale date", (although that is funny). None of us are past a supposed "sale date"; for goodness sake, if I thought that, I'd have given up long ago. Buck up; all will be well. You have tapped into the best forum ever.

I do have some worries for you with those stairs. A recliner such as many have mentioned that you could also sleep in would be a god's send for you if you will are largely on your own. The first few weeks just live and sleep downstairs so you don't have to go up. I did that for a time after one of my surgeries staying at my son's house. The recliner was so much easier than getting into a bed and cozy in the evening. I rented one for this last surgery but I don't know how things go over there. It would be worth looking into though.

You're already gettin a great deal of information here. Keep in touch. We will be thinking of you.

Hi again @Ursula72 have to agree with others about a recliner I have bought one in anticipation of my surgery I am fully expecting broken nights sleep so will have the option of sleeping part time downstairs also so useful for elevating which will be important. You can rent a recliner however I compared the costs and to be honest it was cheaper to buy you can always sell on eBay but you will probably get hooked on it and want to keep it. I see you are in the UK I found that Lloyds chemist were best value they have a mobility equipment department you can go and try them in store but found the best value was to use their on line ordering I got discount plus free delivery and installation. Word of advice don't be tempted by cheap single motor chairs the movement is very limited try and go for a twin motor it gives so many more options for positions etc I think I paid about 400 not cheap but you can pay up to 1500 and probably get not much more for your money. One other word of warning if you have a cat or small dog do make sure it is not sleeping under the chair when you move it cats have been squashed apparently :meow:my daughter was playing around with my chair last night and nearly squashed our black lab :dogsniff: whoops.

My appointment with consultant is January 18th. My doctor has referred me because my X-rays show how my two hips have deteriorated day in 2 years.

The pain in my right hip is really eye watering. I cannot stand up from my chair. I know a hip replacement will come and I’m a big wuss as I’m scared and worried about recovery time.

My son works 12 hour shifts and my best mate Tony, is 82, struggles with his health, so, after my op I will have to mostly look after myself. I’ve bought a walking frame. I’m going to buy another for upstairs bedroom and am preparing stuff. I’m 72 soon so I am past my sell by date. Plus I have osteoarthritis in my arms- what an old wreck. I feel sometimes it’s all a bit hopeless

Thank you for your replies, I'm going to read them all through again. I confess so lonely now. I have a stair lift, can I ask if this is ok to use after a hip operation. All your help is a real God send xx
Welcome @Ursula72. You have indeed come to the right place. The folks here at Bone Smart are amazing; they will be with you through thick and thin, comforting you, giving caring advice if needed, and they have all been where you are now. . .pre-op.

In fact, I had my third surgery on the right hip a little over a month ago and I'm 82. I was scared out of my wits pre-op. That's, of course, pretty normal. But the rewards are really worth all the anxiety. The recovery is different for each of us but there will always be someone here who will cheer you on whatever your situation.

Take all your questions with you when you go for your appointment and it would be lovely if your friend could go with you as your advocate. My SO had his own questions as well. Don't hold back. And don't even consider that you are past the "sale date", (although that is funny). None of us are past a supposed "sale date"; for goodness sake, if I thought that, I'd have given up long ago. Buck up; all will be well. You have tapped into the best forum ever.

I do have some worries for you with those stairs. A recliner such as many have mentioned that you could also sleep in would be a god's send for you if you will are largely on your own. The first few weeks just live and sleep downstairs so you don't have to go up. I did that for a time after one of my surgeries staying at my son's house. The recliner was so much easier than getting into a bed and cozy in the evening. I rented one for this last surgery but I don't know how things go over there. It would be worth looking into though.

You're already gettin a great deal of information here. Keep in touch. We will be thinking of you.
@Ursula72 We have all been in your space and fully understand your anxiety. Keep coming here and posting. It does help to ease the nerves.

Having had both hips replaced I can confirm - you won't regret this decision!
It is scary!!! But what scares me more is living with this pain. I can do this, and I know you can too!!:console2:
Hi again @Ursula72 have to agree with others about a recliner I have bought one in anticipation of my surgery I am fully expecting broken nights sleep so will have the option of sleeping part time downstairs also so useful for elevating which will be important. You can rent a recliner however I compared the costs and to be honest it was cheaper to buy you can always sell on eBay but you will probably get hooked on it and want to keep it. I see you are in the UK I found that Lloyds chemist were best value they have a mobility equipment department you can go and try them in store but found the best value was to use their on line ordering I got discount plus free delivery and installation. Word of advice don't be tempted by cheap single motor chairs the movement is very limited try and go for a twin motor it gives so many more options for positions etc I think I paid about 400 not cheap but you can pay up to 1500 and probably get not much more for your money. One other word of warning if you have a cat or small dog do make sure it is not sleeping under the chair when you move it cats have been squashed apparently :meow:my daughter was playing around with my chair last night and nearly squashed our black lab :dogsniff: whoops.

I have to agree with mcopt when I was researching getting a recliner on loan all the sites I went to were so expensive it definately seems a better idea to buy rather than ren' which is what I intend to do when /if they decide to go surgical again . My setee is broken plus really low am struggling to get up at the moment. Will either need to buy a recliner now or replace setee will need to see what' best money wise.

Hi @Ursula72, no need to quote all of the posts you receive. Just do the straight reply (can be tricky learning to use the site!)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88