Got a bad case of the "Kneasels" !!!

Rballman

Country
United States United States
Hello Everyone Well I'm back !!! About 3 years ago I was briefly on this forum (using the name Rballer) and I had a BTKR scheduled. However I postponed that surgery, never expecting to go another 3 years before moving forward with that plan again.

In the last 6 to 8 weeks my mobility has gotten pretty bad and my better knee for the last 3 years has recently become worse than the original bad knee. My quality of life has definitely taken a hit. I have called back my ortho Doc however I have to wait until Nov 8th just for another consultation and unfortunately they wouldn't even pencil in a surgery date until the Doc sees me again. Kinda silly - its not like my knees got any better. I am so ready to do this now that if they called me tomorrow and agreed to do the surgery I'd "be there with bells on".

I'm very excited to be part of the Bonesmart family again and am looking forward to sharing, chatting, learning, etc.

:welome:(back) to BoneSmart! You really did go a long time between knowing you needed knee replacements and getting down to doing them. I can truly imagine the pain you have been in and why you're eager to have the surgery.

That November consultation will be here before you know it. It's prudent for the doctor to talk with you again because there are lots of things to talk about: pain control, expectations, the lifestyle you aspire to after surgery, etc.. New x-rays are a must. The hard part of pre-surgery is the part where you, the patient, have to be... patient.

Here's some pre-op reading material to help you. You might have gotten some of it three years ago, but some is also new.

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

About 3 years ago I was briefly on this forum (using the name Rballer)
Welcome back! I've merged your two accounts so now you have access to all your old posts! It can be confusing if people have two accounts so we don't allow it.
however I have to wait until Nov 8th just for another consultation and unfortunately they wouldn't even pencil in a surgery date until the Doc sees me again. Kinda silly - its not like my knees got any better.
Your knees might not have but YOU could have developed other issues the doctors need to know about. Things like diabetes, putting on weight, chest or heart issues - the list is endless. Three years is a long time and you wouldn't be very impressed with your doctor if he got you in for surgery when there was something that could put you in danger, would you?

OK...here goes..... I'm excited about finally getting in for my consultation appointment tomorrow ...I've waited a while to get in. I was on a cancellation list in case an earlier appointment became available ...but that didnt happen. Hopefully by tomorrow evening I will have an official surgery date picked out !!!

Yay! Be sure and let us know what you find out.

OK ...I now have my date for my BTKR...I was hoping for November..no luck ....My surgery date is going to be Dec 12 !!! Lets do this !!! I'm ready !!!

Yay! Having a surgical date feels like it’s really happening. You can join our December Super-Novas group at the top of the Pre-Op forum, and meet your fellow December TKRs. Are you still getting both knees done?

yes indeed. ...as I stated in my previous text... BTKR...
I'm getting myself a SET of Holiday Knees ( I heard they come in red and green with some silver tinsel trim. )

You can always decorate your walker. Many on here did that last Christmas!

Oh, so you did say about the BTKR. I'll just blame the heavy duty cough medicine I'm taking at the moment. If you decorate your walker, or your knees, please send photos! :cheers:

ok...i am ready to do this ...my BTKR surgery is tomorrow !!! I very excited and feeling positive !!

Great! A positive attitude is half the battle!

See you on the recovery side!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker