TKR 4 months out

Don't let your worries about family "judgment" get in your way as you do activities with them. (Yes, families do "judge," too!) Let your level of fitness be what it is, and be up front with them when you need to walk more slowly, take a short break, etc. You are important to them, and your participation is more precious than how fast you walk or whether you can keep up!

I suggest that you make sure they understand about the price you pay the next day(s) if you overdo. We often suffer in silence, partly because we're ashamed that we're still healing when we think we should be all done with this stuff. Children (grandchildren, too!) can be especially compassionate if they get the facts; yet they don't "baby" you like adults might. They accept "what's what" and adjust!

You went with your son on the outing. As a mom, you are probably used to keeping a stiff upper lip and hiding any problems you might have. After the outing, did you let him know the next day that you had to "rebound," but that it was fairly quick, and that the discomfort was well worth being with him and the grandchildren?

I'm in the chair with ice...When I said I rebounded I meant with the present pain while I was walking up those hills staying silent....oh my denial....nobody but on this site does anyone understand. My thoughts were 'I'm out of shape, have to work harder, why can't I keep up with them? Today I hear my bonesmart support and thank you. I will go next time but do it at my speed -

You are not out of shape! This surgery knocks the socks off us!

I know everyone here understands and accepts us where we are in recovery.
My family is pretty understanding as I’m the first one of us to have this so they don’t know any better, they accept it for what it is.

Off this forum, my biggest “should be’s“ come from others in my community who have had this surgery, and our mutual friends who have seen the other recoveries, and think PT and exercises are the only way to recover and are surprised that I still can’t do some things.

I’ve said elsewhere on here that I think my biggest surprise about this recovery is everyone’s, including and especially the medical profession, expectations of us, and those expectations are unrealistic and unkind.

So glad I found Bonesmart!!!!!!

Next time at your own speed. That's the spirit! Just let your loved ones know you're doing great but still being careful of things. I recently nixed climbing up on a stool to hang decorations. Later I told family members I was going to be a little slower than them on uneven ground. Trust me, your loved ones are just happy you can go out on such outings with them again!

Hi Poladot,
More wise words. And havent had that chat with him yet. Monday's are back to work. I will read these notes again and again till I know exactly what to say and sound strong when I do it. Love and thanks to all.

Polkadot! I left out your k!! I love all the nicknames. Would be fun to know how everyone came up with theirs!!

I was dubbed Jockette by a friend I bowl with. Pre-surgery I threw my ball a bit faster than the other women. Their balls roll down the lane anywhere from 4.something to 7-ish miles an hour. Mine were usually about 10 miles an hour, though I did do 11 once. And there is one woman who’s ball goes 15-17 at times. Anyway, one friend said to me, “ You’re such a jock! No, a jockette!” Which is actually hysterical because I have never been athletic in the least! Years ago when I’d try those aerobic videos at home I was always going going the wrong way! Now here I am at 61 bowling decently, what fun! My ball speed post surgery is about 7-8 miles an hour, but I’m not doing my pre-surgery approach so that may account for it, or it’s because I’m not fully healed yet.

My family is very sports minded, my husband and his brother are/were basketball coaches/athletic directors and all our kids played basketball. I was always the one sitting in the stands clapping and cheering them on. Now I’m doing the high fives after getting spares and strikes, which seemed very weird at first for me. Sometimes I even beat my husband at bowling, and he’s pretty good. Fun times!

My name - Nine years ago I was lucky enough after divorce to go to a little place called Tavernelle De La Pisa in Tuscany, Italy. I thought I was so rich i took both my sons to see my sister's daughter get married. My sister passed in 2003. My girlfriend came as well. BEST memories ever! Even with my bad knee we walked and walked and laughed so much! Delapisa will always be close to my heart. Oh to visit again although we could never match the innocent laughter and fun we had. Those crazy american tourists!!

Isn't Tuscany wonderful? My daughter had a conference on Sardinia a couple of years ago. I met her in Rome after the conference for a week, and one of our day trips was to a winery in Tuscany, near Montalcino. I would love to go again and spend a week there!

How's your TKR doing today?

My leg is numb! So annoying. Icing then going for a walk! AND sad to say from all the texting on my phone these past months I have upset hand nerves..... but Im doing and functioning fine.
Told my friend that I could go back and pick a place in Tuscany to sit and enjoy the beauty for the rest of time.

My PT does this too. I really do think that most are trained to do this. Its very troubling that we have to feel like a "bad patient" if we refuse to let them.

It will get better, really! When you notice the numb area, just thank your lucky stars that it's not pain! I have had a numb area under my arm and down my side since I had lymph nodes removed in 1992 or 93, and I can attest to the fact that it's irritating but something you can live with if need be. That said, recently I noticed that the arm numbness has almost disappeared. I don't know why, but I do know that Josephine or Celle said that her TKR numbness went away after several years.

I've got a similar issue with hand nerves, I think from being on my iPad and computer much more these past few months than normal. Carpal tunnel is no joke. Take a break and do some finger stretches when you notice the symptoms!

Yes, I lost lymph nodes in 2001 - beat that cancer!! No numbness from that. Might be able to join a pool soon. Maybe my tkr and numbness would like that! Walked twice around my neighborhood yesterday! After waking today the numbness was really present. I'll just deal because I can't stop moving - right?!?!

Never stop moving. :) After all, moving is why you had this surgery, right? You might get used to the numbness. I know I did. Still have numb patches. Feels kind of strange in a pool, but not in a bad way. :flwrysmile:

I think we should have a virtual pool party. It might get me going. :swim: I'm still hovering on the edge of dipping my toe into a local pool. I know it will be good for me, but from past experience, I also know that going there, suiting up, taking a pre-pool shower, participating, then another shower with hair wash to get chlorine out, can take up most of a morning! It requires a lot more commitment than getting out and walking, which I'm doing daily.

The pool with the best class times has always been freezing! I keep meaning to stop there while out and about to check whether this is still true. And then there is the issue that I need a new suit. :yikes: When we had our carpets replaced with wood, my DH seems to have thrown out or donated the box that held most of my exercise clothing, including swimsuit. I could deal with the exercise clothing; I just moved a couple of pairs of leggings and T Shirts into that category from general use, but...Boy, do I hate finding a decent suit that covers all my sins!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back