Bonesmart newbie- right tkr - 90 days and counting

SpaceGirl

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi everyone,

I found this forum on Thursday, finding myself googling knee replacement surgery. I am a 40yr old stay at home mom of 3 girls (soon 17, 12 and 7) along with a wonderful husband of 17 years. I was diagnosed at 20 with arthritis in my knees, have always had issues and the older I get the more they hurt.

I have tried and tried over the last 10-15 years to find a doctor who would listen to me about my knees and the pain, I always got the "lose some weight, it'll help" talk. So anyway in 2014 I took control of my health, lost 80lbs over a year and half, yay, but guess what the pain did not go away. Imagine that. Sure my legs ached less but the knee pain, still there.

My husband and I were up to walking an average of 3 miles per day, but ultimately I had to quit because the pain was too much and I would get sharp shooting pains down my legs and in near tears. My daily quality of life sucks, when the weather is bad, too much rain, too cold, I hurt, I can barely hobble by the end of the day. I can't get on the floor easily nor get up without a lot of prayer and usually pain.

Fast forward to this week, I finally got an appointment to see a orthopedist and get x-rays done. As soon as he saw them, he said, WOW, your knees are eaten up with arthritis and you have bone spurs in both. At first I was kind of defeated. I mean I have known I had arthritis for 20 years now, otc meds do not work, mobic does nothing, heck even when I take actual pain meds (hydrocodone) it does not really help. He told me, there is no cure, just treatment and basically I could try injections for awhile to see if it helped or have knee replacement surgery. The injections would only be a short term fix, and surgery would still be needed.

I chose to try the injections, to give myself some time to talk to my husband, to do research etc, plus we have super busy weeks for the next 3 weeks, including a trip to Chicago (yay walking?....) that is already planned/paid for. So I got my one in the left knee and during the process almost passed out. Apparently this is pretty common reaction to them. I declined the second one because I felt horrible already as it was.

I go back to him in August to assess how the injection worked in my left knee and to discuss surgery options. I almost was immediately against bilateral but after reading here, maybe it would be better. I just have so many commitments already for the beginning of the school year that I am worried. I am supposed to be coaching rec volleyball (2 teams), I home school my youngest, have commitments of volunteer hours (required) for the home school co-op on Fridays, and just life in general.

My oldest graduates in May 2018, we're supposed to go to Disney for her grad trip in late May and early June, but now I am worried that will be compromised as well. I mean is that even a feasibility after having surgery? I thought maybe I could wait until after volleyball season which ends first week of Nov, but not sure that's enough recovery time to make such a trip.

Sorry for the long intro novel, I am just so unsure about everything right now, but know my quality of life would be so much better once I had the surgery done. I am tired of living with daily pain. I want my life back, I want to exercise and lose weight again, I want to enjoy going out shopping, dancing, light sports and my family. Thanks for reading, any advice is very much appreciated.

You have many decisions to make. If you decide on surgery, it will take several weeks to get scheduled and to go through the pre-surgery requirements. Most schools now begin in mid August so you will be in a bind. You will not be able to drive for about six weeks. The pain for the first weeks is usually bad and sleeping is a problem. Those are just a few things to consider. If it were my decision to make, I would postpone the surgery until after the Disney trip. I recommend renting a mobility scooter for your trips. Most medical equipment stores do rentals and they are a real knee saver. Congratulations on deciding to have the knee replacement!

Disney rents mobility scooters and wheelchairs.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hello, @SpaceGirl , and welcome!

Two things are obvious.
1. Your knees aren't going to get any better until you have them replaced. In fact, they will continue to deteriorate, which will lessen your mobility. So, from their perspective, the sooner you can get them replaced, the better.
2. You have a lot of family commitments and whatever you decide is going to need the co-operation and understanding of your family. You will also need some help from friends and the home schooling group.

Recovery from a knee replacement is a slow process. It can take a full year for complete recovery, although you will be able to do most things by 3 months and will feel almost normal by 6 months. In terms of a race, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

So, consider the prolonged recovery period when planning a potential date for your surgery. Sit down with your family and explain this and see if you can settle on some periods when you could potentially arrange to have the surgery you need so badly.

Consider these things:
  • The Disney trip;
  • It may be that you'll have to give up coaching volleyball for a season;
  • you'll need someone from the home schooling to cover your duties for about 3 months;
  • you won't be able to ferry your children to sports and other activities for about 6 weeks;
  • You shouldn't be doing any housework, cooking , washing for at least a month;
  • Your husband's help in all this is essential.
Here is an activity guide that shows you the level of activity you can expect during your recovery:
Activity progression for TKRs

While recovering, your first priority should be yourself, at least for the first 6 weeks, and your family will need to understand that. Your job will be to rest, ice and elevate your knees, and take your pain medications on a regular schedule.
Try not to feel guilty about needing help at that time. It will be your family's turn to give back in return for the care you've given them.
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help

I've just thought - @Jennszoo has very recently had her second knee replacement. She has 3 children and can tell you far more about what it is like to recuperate with 3 children in the house. If you feel up to it, would you mind letting SpaceGirl know how you are managing, Jenn?

Hello, I was reading your post and thought [emoji189] wow, we have a lot in common

1. Coach? Yep
2. Teach? Yep
3. Early 40's at onset? Yep
4. Bonespurs? 7 were found in my left knee, a couple in my right
5. Injections? Too many

All of this is so familiar. I used to teach and coach, and that in and of itself takes a toll on the knees. I imagine you have family that has arthritis. I didn't find out until after surgery.

My replacement knees are doing wonderful after 7 and 5 years. I love [emoji173]️ living again.[emoji4]

So I got my one in the left knee and during the process almost passed out. Apparently this is pretty common reaction to them
The reason you almost passed out is simple - having 10-20mls of fluid injected into your knee increases the intra-joint pressure incredibly. That pain is intense and will very like cause the patient to feel faint!
My oldest graduates in May 2018, we're supposed to go to Disney for her grad trip in late May and early June, but now I am worried that will be compromised as well. I mean is that even a feasibility after having surgery?
May/June 2018? I would have thought you'd be well recovered by then. If you get your surgery done this side of Christmas, you should be okay by then.

@bashbago I know, it's quite stressful to think about with everything going on! I go back to the dr on Aug 17th to discuss the surgery options. School for us actually starts August 2!! We go back to so early lol but get out before Memorial Day (state mandate due to beach tourism). My oldest hopefully will be driving soon, she had shoulder surgery about 2 years ago, then pt, and then ended up with pt again because she was not fully able to move her shoulder like she should have been able too.

@Ruby9297 Yep I know, I am not sure I need one at this point, we have Universal twice the last 2 summers and I hurt a lot by the end of the day, we stopped often anyway due to my special needs kiddo. It is something to think about that this time though for sure!

Thanks @Celle lots of good info there. My husbands job is really good about understanding medical things such as this and he could work from home the first few weeks no problem plus take me to appts and run the girls all over the place LOL He does have vacation time too, so he can always use that as well. I am thankful my kids (2 of the 3) are very self sufficient, the youngest is not bad, but with her medical needs, she does require help for certain things as well. They will do well and take care of me and I will do my part and rest!

@RestAssured yep we sure do! My mom also has bad knees, she has had two surgeries on her left knee, scoped or scraped?? She is now in a nursing home due to a major stroke that left her paralyzed on her left side, and her brain affected quite a bit, so I can't be sure of exacts. I have not heard her every say she had arthritis, but that's not to say she does not.

@Josephine It's kind of weird, because I really did not think it hurt that much but obviously it did! I don't know if I can handle doing them again. Yes Disney is May/June 2018, I was hoping surely I would be fairly functional by then, even if I had to take breaks from walking etc. We don't power walk at the parks, and we have to take breaks often for my daughter.

I am anxious to go back to the doctor to discuss it further and see what my best options are going to be.

They do have scooters for hire at Disney, so you might consider renting one of those for getting around the park. I know that @KarriB did that recently, and found it a great help.

Yes, as Celle said you can find scooters in a lot of places. I find one when possible, not because of my knees anymore but for other health issues.

You have a lot on your plate my friend! I will be praying for you![emoji1317]

Well, I suggest the sooner you get them done, the better!

Yes, you can rent a scooter from an off site provider which means they'll deliver to your resort and pick it up when you're done. I was there in March and knew my left knee couldn't do all he walking (one day was 9 miles), plus that means I could use it at the resort which was huge and at Disney Springs. If you rent from DW you pick up at the park and leave it at the park.

If you get it done in the fall you should be good to go in the spring, but may still need a scooter depending on you recover. Everyone is different.

Thank you again everyone. I am still processing this all and dealing with pain. We leave for Chicago Sunday (lots of walking coming my way) and go to my primary on Fri, she said she'd give me some pain meds for the week. I am hoping they will help. We will be using public transport a lot but I know I will be walking and heck just standing make my knees hurt! I am anxiously awaiting my next appointment in August.

You've already gotten a lot of good advice and links, @SpaceGirl, here's my two cents worth. I had a bilateral three weeks ago, have three young adults living at home and an elderly DH (86). We made a plan for my operation last summer, which among other things, involved 2 of the 3 yet to get their drivers license - they both succeeded by the way ! That was a big help as my DH does not drive. So I would definitely recommend that your daughter have her license - even not to drive you around, just to be able to do a grocery store run is a big help!
Don't underestimate the recovery time you will need. Plan for the worst, not being a pessimist, but it gives you a little breathing room ! And realize ahead of time that when you overdo, you will be "rewarded" with pain and swelling and limited mobility and an forced DOR (day of rest - phrase coined by our resident word artist @Pheebs52 ).
Having said that - am I glad I had this bilateral ? You bet !

Hey everyone! Thanks for all your advice, I had my follow up yesterday and now have right knee replacement scheduled for Nov 16 and left knee will be done sometime in Jan most likely. The way my dr talked, I will be good to go by our Disney trip! So I should start another thread for my pre-op time?

Thanks @nensi I was leaning towards bilateral but my dr really prefers only one at a time and feels I'll have an easier time recovering since I still have a 7 yr old at home that I homeschool. My oldest is now driving on the roads and she knows now we have 90 days to get that license done so she can help out!

The most solid thing to do is pick the best surgeon you can find... and follow that surgeon. If he prefers one at a time, then that's what you do. Let the surgeon work in his comfort zone--as long as you're good with that. And I bet your daughter can't wait to get her license, and you're going to benefit hugely from that. :)

I just read your thread through and found a couple of things to comment on - not realising I've already posted!

I am tired of living with daily pain. I want my life back, I want to exercise and lose weight again, I want to enjoy going out shopping, dancing, light sports and my family.
That about says it all! But then, this is going to require you making some sacrifices for a while but you need to put yourself first and not your commitments!

and you have bone spurs in both
If it's any consolation almost everybody has bone spurs and even bone cysts. It's not a huge issue, just the way it is. And it won't effect your surgery one little bit.

The most solid thing to do is pick the best surgeon you can find... and follow that surgeon. If he prefers one at a time, then that's what you do. Let the surgeon work in his comfort zone--as long as you're good with that. And I bet your daughter can't wait to get her license, and you're going to benefit hugely from that. :)

I really like this one, hes done some friends other surgeries as well and they all had good things to say. I think she is getting there, she's been driving a lot more and getting more comfortable with it. My goal is her license in the next 2 months, hopefully before then but boy that insurance rate is gonna go up! lol

I just read your thread through and found a couple of things to comment on - not realising I've already posted!

That about says it all! But then, this is going to require you making some sacrifices for a while but you need to put yourself first and not your commitments!

If it's any consolation almost everybody has bone spurs and even bone cysts. It's not a huge issue, just the way it is. And it won't effect your surgery one little bit.

Yes sacrifices are always kinda hard, I love coaching volleyball with my girls, but I know in the Spring I can't do it, I'll still be in recovery from my left knee and don't want to overdo it because I am looking forward to our Summer vacay!

Good to know about the bone spurs and cysts!

So one of the things my dr said is that I need to do as much now as I can to prepare for surgery, lose weight if I can, I just need to buckle down and start back counting calories again and doing as much exercise as I can. That part is the hard stuff. I hurt so much, that it is difficult to do much, so I am wondering if you guys have any ideas for that? I have a recumbent bike I will try to do on little resistance for legs, but outside of that I am kind of at a loss.

90 days to go!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom