Revision TKR Revision time...

You are still very early in recovery, the trauma of TKR can cause inhibition of muscle contraction to protect the "injured" body part.
With time, healing, and your normal activities around the house your quad should start to wake up.

Lay on bed, coffee table or some other raised surface, making sure that your tushy is near the edge. Bring both knees in towards chest (think fetal position but on your back). Grab the back of 1 leg with botg hands, and while keeping it bent and in line with hips, slowly let other leg down as if you were trying to put your foot on the floor underneath you. It is important to keep that leg bent and don't let it turn outwards. You should feel a nice stretch in the leg hanging down.
Hope this is both understandable and helpful!
I think I got it. Thank you!

You are still very early in recovery, the trauma of TKR can cause inhibition of muscle contraction to protect the "injured" body part.
With time, healing, and your normal activities around the house your quad should start to wake up.
It's really swollen and I cannot seem to bend the knee properly atm. I really am taking it easy this time around, I'm basically sitting and elevating my leg about 90% of the time...this is getting to be a bit frustrating for me. I know it's only a little better than three weeks out but it's been such a different experience this time, I'm trying to get a handle on it!

You are more than welcome! Hope it helps! It was one of my favorites, but my PT said most people don't like it.

Breathe! Relax! Time is on your side! You should be icing and elevating 90% of the time, even though it gets to be as boring as:censored:! I was extremely frustrated, and thought I was going to lose my mind, but alas, this too shall pass! Hang in there!:flwrysmile:

All I did was ice, elevate and nap the first month of recovery. Then I had a 2nd surgery and all I did a month after that was elevate and rest. It's boring and frustrating, but pays off in the end.

I've been through this revision surgery thing two times before with the left knee, this is the first time with the right knee. It was a revision from a partial that I had in 2012, it decided that while on vacation last summer to loosen, thought it was a great time to do this. Anyways, this revision has been this far a total 180 from the others I've had. This is the first time I've ever had trouble with my quadricep. It's swollen and painful, as soon as I walk this happens. I'm not sure what to do to get a handle on the pain. I ran out of pain meds on Friday, still waiting for the script to be faxed to the pharmacy I use. Ice hurts more than helps at this point and I'm sitting with it elevated most of the time right now.
If anyone has any advice on what I can do to help the swelling to go down, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try heat on the quad and see if it helps. Just keep the heat away from your knee. My quad was quite painful and slow to wake up. I took pain meds on schedule until week 4 wh I began to forget doses.

Kneeaware,
A lymphatic therapist may be able to help with your swelling. Ask your MD or look someone up in the phone book. Pain meds will also help with swelling.

You can try heat on the quad and see if it helps. Just keep the heat away from your knee. My quad was quite painful and slow to wake up. I took pain meds on schedule until week 4 wh I began to forget doses.
I just got a prescription for more pain meds and more antibiotics...I've been fighting an infection since about ten days after the revision so I went to we a dr today...temperature has been up a bit since I finished the antibiotics a few days ago. Anyways, I took some pain meds and the pain has subsided some, the quad is still really tight though...

I may glad you hot a new script for pain meds. What type of infection do you have?

I had physio today, the quad isn't really the problem, it's the IT band, it's very inflamed and very tight. I'm going to try a couple of sessions of massage for it and the

The good news is that my ROM isn't an issue, 0 extension as always and 123 flexion. I didn't have to 'work' for it to get my ROM, I basically let it happen, I kept up with the stretching but no real exercises.

Glad you are progressing well, although the IT band issues are no fun! Keep up the good *work* by not pushing too hard!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back