TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

@Pumpkln

I'm well. Too fat after winter and work and love my micro brews. All is good. Can't wait for the race. 37 years after my first 50k...I get to crew for my daughter. Lucky guy.

Best wishes for your knee and all else.

Hi @trailspud , you are doing great! I'm the same age with both knees done. I don't aspire to running long distances, but I look forward to "bursts" of trail running. Currently 6 months post RTKR and I am not quite ready yet (I can tell). My goal this year is a 100k bike ride. The ellipical trainer actually feels good now. As for my walking stride, it is actually smooth and even for the first time since I was a teenager. Apparently the early injuries took their toll- I've frequently been told, and actually teased, for walking "too bouncy". My gait was apparently some sort of compensation that did not manifest as a typical limp, so of course I received ribbing instead of sympathy. That's gone now. I love my knees.

@trailspud.

Saw my Physical Therapist for a one month evaluation! She was so excited about all of the progress I have made. I am back to exercising 5-6 days a week. Abby and Cassy are bringing me back at a "moderate" pace.:heehee:

Summer vacation is underway and my knees are ready for lots of hiking. Unfortunately, my right calf is not. I strained it a bit over two weeks ago (probably doing some running intervals uphill on the treadmill). Then I kept working out on the elliptical and lifting for about a week and made it worse. I'll never learn :). After a week of rest, I'm able to do some moderate cycling (35 mts last eve w/no problems). I'm hoping to be hiking again in a week or two.

When I last posted, my daughter was about to do her first 50k which she finished 3rd overall and 2nd woman (got passed late). Windy, muddy, rainy day, but she had fun and I saw old friends from long past.

Hopefully, the next post later this summer will be about some long day or more in the mountains. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
trailspud,
Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are doing great, we all over do it at one time or another. Looking forward to your next up date!

2016 comes to a close in MST in about 6.5 hours. I had a series of injuries beginning late last spring so I've done mostly gym stuff except walking the dog, and my knees are great. Hope to get back to a little running this spring when the ground softens. We have a real winter....snow on the ground, more coming, and below zero F in a few days. Love it!

Hoping 2017 is a great year...cheers to all.

Hi, @trailspud! Welcome back for the party. Happy New Year to you. Hope 2017 brings you good health so you can continue to use those new knees.

Summer 2017 started slow. A long winter and spring with a long work schedule plus some nagging foot and hamstring issues have limited the trails. 12 mile hike today with good climbs. Knees feel great. Started back in May doing a short run about each week. Slooww, but fun. No farther than 5m. Switched to Hoka shoes from Altras. Hoping for longer hikes as summer rolls on.

Cheers to all.

slow and steady does win the race with a tka. Hope the foot issues are resolved with the new shoes!!

@skigirl thanks. Glad to hear from you. Chronic plantar fasciitis issue. Mostly under control.

Bonnie Runa42K is running a marathon in Portland soon! I can't imagine running 26 miles.[emoji15]

Hi @trailspud - how did you like the Altras and how do the Hokas compare? I still love my Newtons but was thinking about trying the Altras. I like that most of them have a 0mm drop. Haven't heard much about the Hokas but they look like they'd add at least an inch of height. At a hair over 5' (if I stretch), that's not necessarily a bad thing!

@susie09 I had a pair of Hokas. They are soft cushioned. The bad part for me was that they only are D width and with my duck feet I need EE, so I gave them to someone who could use them.

Hi @trailspud - how did you like the Altras and how do the Hokas compare? I still love my Newtons but was thinking about trying the Altras. I like that most of them have a 0mm drop. Haven't heard much about the Hokas but they look like they'd add at least an inch of height. At a hair over 5' (if I stretch), that's not necessarily a bad thing!
I like Altras. I've only used the max.-cushioned Olympus models. But, the heel area midsole has broken down very early on almost every pair I used. This is my first pair of Hokas. They sort of started the super cushioned trend. Not zero drop, but a small drop and like the Altras it pushes you towards a mid foot strike. So far, they appear much sturdier in the midsole.

Hi trailspud I read your entire thread and found it inspiring. I go in for first TKR on Thursday of this week. 40 years ago Dr Kimball save my life from another doctors infection on an ACL repair. He is a great person and a great Dr. I am having a conformis knee in the end did you find that both knees were about the same the non conformis and the conformis?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom