June Hip replacement

labosc

Country
United States United States
I will be having total hip replacement June 5. I also need to have my other hip done they said I could get it done in 6 weeks after.
Anyone out there do another hip in 6 weeks.

I am post-op 13 days of RTHR. I am having left done at 4 month mark

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@labosc.
Have you considered Bi-Lateral or both hips at once.
In any case best wishes with your surgeries.
Joe........

Many of our members have had both hips replaced within a short period of time. Everyone reacts differently to a procedure so there time frame for healing. Have a read in our recovery area. In most cases members wonder why they waited so long.

Have you thought about having them both done at the same time? One anaesthetic, one recovery. Though you may need to find a surgeon who does this. It's called a bilateral THR.

Speaking from my experience with two knee replacements four weeks apart and one hip replacement, if I needed both done and could either go to Rehab or had someone to help me afterwards, I would do both at the same time or as close to each other as possible. If your medical condition allows, I think all the mental stress before and perhaps after is easier with one surgery. But again, it depends on you and your doctor. This is a great place for information and support!

Thank you everyone. But yes I have thought about doing both at once but Drs here in Central Fla will not do it.
I believe there is one Dr in the Tampa area.

Drs here in Central Fla will not do it.
Fair enough! Go with what they are recommending. Trusting your surgeon is a big part of all this.

I'm am doing my left total hip on June 12 and hope to do the right 6-8 weeks later. Doing them within that time frame eliminates having to repeat some of the pre-surgery checkups, EKG, etc.

I am post-op 13 days of RTHR. I am having left done at 4 month mark

How is your recovery going ? And did your doctors have you do pre op exercises ? I have read a lot about this and my OS Dr has said nothing about them. With my Trhr set for June 6th it would seem a little late if I needed to start now. I am trying to do leg exercises but the pain is so bad I do not get much done. Thanks for any thoughts and good luck on your recovery.

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

Hi...

My pain level is very low. I don't know why I have a high tolerance for pain. But in all honesty, it is more of a pressure feeling than pain most of the time. And that usually occurs after I have been on my leg too long.
It is never to late to start. I would just do what I could tolerate, even a little helps. I beghinning to understand parts in my leg. Tendons, muscles. So any little strengthen I could do the better. Remember it is the consistency of doing the exercise. If you are in pain, if 3 is all you can do, then do three everyday.
My doctor did not specifically mention it.I did do some water exercise classes. I think at that tome I was still trying to accept I was j having surgery.
I also need to say, my pain was manageable with extra strength Tylenol right up to the surgery and still is now.
Doctor found a bone spur
larger than the x-ray showed. He didn't understand why I wasn't in more pain.
Once the truest statement I read on this site.. the anticipation is 10x worst than the surgery.
Do you like your doctor, trust him or het?

Thanks for answering, I feel better now. Glad to know you are doing well.

Hi...

My pain level is very low. I don't know why I have a high tolerance for pain. But in all honesty, it is more of a pressure feeling than pain most of the time. And that usually occurs after I have been on my leg too long.
It is never to late to start. I would just do what I could tolerate, even a little helps. I beghinning to understand parts in my leg. Tendons, muscles. So any little strengthen I could do the better. Remember it is the consistency of doing the exercise. If you are in pain, if 3 is all you can do, then do three everyday.
My doctor did not specifically mention it.I did do some water exercise classes. I think at that tome I was still trying to accept I was j having surgery.
I also need to say, my pain was manageable with extra strength Tylenol right up to the surgery and still is now.
Doctor found a bone spur
larger than the x-ray showed. He didn't understand why I wasn't in more pain.
Once the truest statement I read on this site.. the anticipation is 10x worst than the surgery.
Do you like your doctor, trust him or het?

I do like my surgeon I have my pre-op appt. on the 24 the of May. I just found out a month ago that I was needing a hip replacement. Long story but now at least I am on the road to less pain this will be my 18th surgery I will be bionic soon. lol

@Kimmer 18 surgeries you should be an expert by now lol. I'm also scheduled for June 6, as long as the rest of my pre-op testing goes ok. Have to see a cardiologist next week because my EKG was abnormal. Praying that it will go well and have surgery on the 6th as planned. My ortho didn't suggest exercise beforehand either, but from reading here I have tried to do what I can. Hope all goes well for you and that we both get new hips soon.

I'm am doing my left total hip on June 12 and hope to do the right 6-8 weeks later. Doing them within that time frame eliminates having to repeat some of the pre-surgery checkups, EKG, etc.
Yes I am thinking if all goes well I will do within that time frame I am so ready the pain with both hips is just to much now.

I understand totally. Although I am waiting a little longer. I had surgery on May 2 and will do the other hip in

Oops.. sent to soon . Rthr on may 2, will do left in August. For me it is to stay in the same mind set. My recovery fortunately been with minimal pain. I am nowL.A.! walking most of the time without a cane. My thoughts are with you.
You are true fighter

Oops.. sent to soon . Rthr on may 2, will do left in August. For me it is to stay in the same mind set. My recovery fortunately been with minimal pain. I am nowL.A.! walking most of the time without a cane. My thoughts are with you.
You are true fighter

Wow doesn't sound like you were in too much pain or you have high tolerance. Glad your doing well and recovered quickly. How long did you do rehab for?

I am still in outpatient therapy for 2 more weeks. Yes, I do have a high tolerance for pain. I don't want to mislead, there were several days of discomfort. On days that pain was higher elevation, icing and rest was the cure.
A little history. I was only taking Extra strength Tylenol and not using any support devices. I had a bone spur on my hip hitting my pelvic bone. After surgery the doctor stated that the,spur was significantly larger than the Cray had shown. He did understand why I had not been on more pain meds and or using a walking aide. Hence I guest my pain threshold is large. This was my first surgery at 63, so who knew?
My best to you. This journey has taught me to take information from doctor, this site and what I know about myself to guide me.
The statement that each journey is individual, not to be compared.
One last thing. The biggest thing for me has been having patience, accepting mild depression at times
and reminding myself that there is,a field of sunflowers waiting for me.
I see sunflowers all the time to give my mind a signal of great things ahead.
I look forward to hearing from you on the other side.

Best Wishes Tomorrow.
I'll be watching out for you on the post op side.
Joe.....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks