THR Glad to be in this side<

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Surgery 4/27 11am and released 6pm 4/28. All went well. Walked to doorway and back on surgery day and went to PT on 4/28. Felt very nauseous by time I got there so nurse told them. Did a couple exercises in wheel chair and then got sick so went back to room for nap. Think it was a combination of so many pills (although no pain med at that point other than Tylenol), and total lack of much sleep for 2 days. Afternoon PT went much better so we did stairs and got into vehicle. Then everyone said I could go home.

Slept great last night with 3 wake ups for bathroom. Started taking 1/2 tablet of OxyContin yesterday afternoon and have continued that every 4 hrs so pain level about a 1. Moving a bit better today that yesterday but that "log leg" doesn't like moving at all on its own. I guess that will improve with time. No complaints yet and very glad to be on this side now. Home PT starts Monday or Tuesday for 3 sessions and then outpatient PT for 4-6 weeks. See dr again in 2 weeks.

@GrannyC Welcome to the other side. Be sure and take those pain meds around the clock as prescribed. The trick at this point in recovery is to stay ahead of the pain. Sounds like you are doing just that.

Here are your recovery articles to refer to during this journey:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Congrats @GrannyC! I'm just over a week post op now, hard to believe it's gone so quickly already!

I was dreading the physio appointment on day one post op. I had a very tough time moving my leg over to get off the bed, but once I got moving it felt better.

@confused newb, yes, my leg doesn't want to move on its own either but I think it will be fine in time. We just have to gather up all our patience!

I'm a week post op now, and feeling great. Up and moving through the day on crutches, off of pain meds, getting stronger all the time. I still have a nagging muscle pain on the side of my leg that's starting to resolve. I'm still early on in recovery, so it's not surprising that I've got some aches still!

Today is day 3 post op and all is well. I stopped pain meds last night but still icing and still no pain so I'm waiting for the pain bomb to drop as it seems like it must be coming. Last night I was able to get out of bed on my own for the first time to use the bathroom so that felt like a major accomplishment! Funny the things that seem like big accomplishments at different times in our lives.

I stopped pain meds last night but still icing and still no pain so I'm waiting for the pain bomb to drop as it seems like it must be coming.
Way too early to stop your meds! You are only hours out of major surgery.

Get back on the meds as prescribed around the clock. You need to stay ahead of the pain at this stage. Waiting for the pain means you are alway playing catch-up and could result in chronic pain issues.

Please read the article I left you on Pain Management and the pain chart again.

@Jaycey I'm back on them now. I was constipated and last night nothing hurt, nothing during night and still this morning all was well. My dr instructions said tomuse as needed so that is why I stopped. However, I started to get a bit stiff after I read your note and constipation is gone so I took another pain tablet and will keep on them for a while now as you said.

Today is day four postop and I feel like I'm doing very well. I'm taking ½ tablet of Oxycodone-acetaminophen 5-325 every 4 hrs for pain even though I don't feel like I have much of any pain - just some stiffness in upper leg when I get up but that is nothing like the stiffness I had from the OA before surgery.

I make the bathroom runs and maybe 1 or 2 extra short walks to kitchen each day. Other than that, I sit on the couch using my iPad, reading and posting on BoneSmart, emailing and playing Words with Friends, and maybe 1 or 2 short naps during the day. I haven't even watched too much tv or read yet but just didn't feel like it for some reason. Maybe today I will try to start a book. I also have lots of hand sewing all ready to work on once I feel like it.

I can get myself in and out of bed now and yesterday I sat at table to eat dinner rather than eating on the couch. My couch has the footrests that go up like a recliner and I am able to put the footrest up and down by myself with no problem. I found it easier to do when I sit on the couch with my good leg on the armrest side so I can reach across good leg to move footrest control. I've put one bed pillow on the couch to raise the seat a little to make it easier to get up and down.

My toilet is slightly higher than average and OS said I would not need a seat riser so I didn't get one. It has worked out fine for me as long as I remember to move operated leg out in front slightly before sitting.

@Jaycey, @Josephine. I do seem to have a slight nauseous feeling most of the time. I don't feel like I will actually get sick but just that queezy feeling. It helps a little to eat something. Is this from med?

I don't have a huge appetite but I do make sure to eat at each mealtime and sometimes a snack in between. My youngest son sent me an edible bouquet so when I snack I'm eating plenty of fresh fruit. Any tips on the queeziness would be appreciated. It isn't too bad but I'm conscious that it is there. Would not drinking enough water when taking meds be a cause?

Hi @GrannyC,
I am so impressed that you can get on and off your couch so early !

quote edited out

I guess my couch/sofa is so very low to the floor, that getting OFF of it would have broken my posterior precautions that were strictly enforced.
Keep up the writing us your news in your recovery. You're doing so well !

Last edited by a moderator:
I do seem to have a slight nauseous feeling most of the time. It helps a little to eat something. Is this from med? Would not drinking enough water when taking meds be a cause?
Yes to both.

It is now day 5 and all is well. Had in home PT yesterday which went well. She seemed pleased with my progress which is always nice to hear no matter how old you are. She showed me a couple little exercises on the bed for my log leg and encouraged me to walk continuously with walker rather than to take a step, stop, move walker,then go on. The PT plus getting up every 2 hrs for bathroom (all that water) tired me out so I've taken 2 naps today already.

I will do a little of what PT said to do but I am not going to push it much yet as I didn't like feeling so wiped out. When you think about it, everything we do is PT from going to bathroom to lifting my legs with lifter to put pillows under them. It is all exercise to me. I try to do what I can for myself but I can always ask my husband when I need to. I'm trying to find the right mix of self and help and know it will change from day to day.

I keep writing as I'm hoping someone finds it helpful plus it's not like I have a lot I need to get done (sure most postop patients can relate :)

Today is day six. I just took it easy yesterday and I think it paid off as I feel a little better this morning. I managed to get in and out of bed last night without my strap. It wasn't that easy but I did it. I did have to push my leg a bit with my hand. I also used my CPAP for the first time since surgery and that may have helped me sleep better, too.

Yesterday my husband stopped by our local rescue squad to borrow (no charge) a shower chair. They have all sorts of medical equipment there they loan out for free to those who need it which sure is nice. My PT told us about it. If you aren't aware of a place like that in your area, check around and make a few calls to a PT office, Senior Center, Office of Aging or a GP office to see if there is something. Speaking of PT, my PT called yesterday and I told her she wiped me out and I didn't plan to do much yesterday. She didn't seem at all surprised and agreed with my decision. She will come again tomorrow and show me how to use the shower chair and do whatever else PTs do.

My stomach still feels a bit "off" - sort of queezy but no so bad I think I will get sick. I think it has been from a combination of things but for now I'm attributing it to eating a few more prunes than I should have when I was constipated. I guess we get a bit carried away trying to go and then pay the price later. I think it is improving some though.

@Minnie15, @chuckster and I know there were one or two others who had surgery the same day but I can't find the April list any more. I hope you are all doing well and moving along the road to recovery.

Hi @GrannyC I'm interested to read your progress and see what you're achieving. Sounds similar to me. First night at home, it was hard to get my legs up on to the bed but I did it, yay!

I'm now going to the toilet a lot! Making up for a few days ago. I guess until everything out my system it won't settle but that's ok just go with it.

Walking around well with my crutches.

Have to say I've felt very tearful today. I know post op blues are normal but I've had to deal with my husband leaving and to not have him here is tough. I'm lucky that my Mum is staying with me and my little boy is so helpful.

Tomorrow is another day as they say..

Ahh @Minnie15 that's so tough. I really feel for you. Glad you've got your mum there. We all feel a bit blue afterwards. It will get better as you recover and get out and about a bit more. I remember that starting to go for short walks outside when I was ready lifted my mood a lot. This is a new beginning for you so just go with the flow for now. Things will get easier.
Sam xx

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@GrannyC sounds like you are doing really well. Go easy on the PT and only do it if you feel up to it! I didn't start my PT properly until about 5 weeks in when a lot of the healing had gone on and it was much easier at that point!
Take care,
Sam x

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I keep writing as I'm hoping someone finds it helpful plus it's not like I have a lot I need to get done (sure most postop patients can relate :)

Today is day six. I just took it easy yesterday and I think it paid off as I feel a little better this morning. I managed to get in and out of bed last night without my strap. It wasn't that easy but I did it. I did have to push my leg a bit with my hand. I also used my CPAP for the first time since surgery and that may have helped me sleep better, too.

Yesterday my husband stopped by our local rescue squad to borrow (no charge) a shower chair. They have all sorts of medical equipment there they loan out for free to those who need it which sure is nice. My PT told us about it. If you aren't aware of a place like that in your area, check around and make a few calls to a PT office, Senior Center, Office of Aging or a GP office to see if there is something. Speaking of PT, my PT called yesterday and I told her she wiped me out and I didn't plan to do much yesterday. She didn't seem at all surprised and agreed with my decision. She will come again tomorrow and show me how to use the shower chair and do whatever else PTs do.

My stomach still feels a bit "off" - sort of queezy but no so bad I think I will get sick. I think it has been from a combination of things but for now I'm attributing it to eating a few more prunes than I should have when I was constipated. I guess we get a bit carried away trying to go and then pay the price later. I think it is improving some though.

@Minnie15, @chuckster and I know there were one or two others who had surgery the same day but I can't find the April list any more. I hope you are all doing well and moving along the road to recovery.

Hi Granny

Love your detailed updates we all live vicariously thru each other. I too as you know Day 6 and healing up as my body dictates. It's a slow but sure process but healing with a good hip in place makes ALL the difference in the world. I have very swollen log leg but I just continue to ice/ elevate and walk every couple hours to bathroom .

Not rushing anything I learned from posters here primarily Jaycey the importance of letting your body call the shots and heal as it sees fit. I'm ramping down the PT thing considerably and while I believe in its benefits it's very much up to the individual. Rest/Ice/Elevate and stay ahead of pain are the main priorities at this point.

Sounds like you are doing great but continue to take baby steps and eventually that healing will just keep going and going on it's own the human body is incredible in so many ways.

I am laying here almost ecstatic picturing myself pain free this summer ---swimming in the ocean, feeding tennis balls to my [emoji462] campers, drinking beers tailgating at country concerts et al. This is the stuff the Chuckster used to be made of/for. Well guess what --I'm on the way back! I'm SO thankful to so many people for helping me get to this point.

Keep pushing forward Granny and everyone else here one day at a time we got this !!

Chuckster

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

@chuckster it sounds like you are doing well. Keep up the good work!

@Minnie15 i hope you are finding today a brighter day. I'm sure it was hard to not have your husband around but you are blessed that your mom can stay. Then your son is an added blessing. I imagine he feels quite important to be able to help you for a change. Try to focus as much on the positive like that the surgery is behind you now and you are getting better. I know all about those extra trips to the bathroom for a few extra days. I've been there, done that. I kept wishing I had eaten just one prune instead of 5 or 6!!! I think that is why my stomach has still felt slightly queezy. Have a sunny, healing day :smile2:

Today is one week postop for me and all is well. PT will come today and show me how to safely use shower chair. The covering on my incision is a clear tape so I can shower with no problem. I don't see any staples or thread so I guess it was brought together on the inside or glued. I'll have to ask about that out of curiosity when I go for dr visit next week. I think PT will also show me how to do the two steps to my sewing room. I normally spend quite a bit of time there and am starting to get anxious to get back even to work on some hand sewing I have ready. It will be a good diversion, use little energy and keep me occupied.

Yesterday the only time I needed the strap was to put my leg up on the pillows. New accomplishments each day!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562