Right Partial Knee Replacement at 48

Status
Not open for further replies.

4cats1home

Country
United States United States
I am scheduled for an outpatient right PKR on May 22 for a torn medial meniscus and osteoarthritis.

I have my pre-surgery check-up on May 1 with my family doctor.

My surgeon said that I could possibly go back to my desk job after about 12 days, but I'm thinking it will be longer. I might go back to work part-time for a little while.

I have the same surgeon that did my mom's TKR's about 18 years ago and she is still doing great.

I am looking for encouragement as I approach this journey.

Many docs are too optimistic where PKRs are concerned, but the recovery can be very much like a TKR. I suggest planning on more time off than 12 days. That would mean being off all pain meds by 12 days to be able to drive, plus being able to apply brake pressure at 12 days is very unlikely. No two knees are alike, so it's possible, but I'd err on the side of caution.

My surgeon said that I could possibly go back to my desk job after about 12 days, but I'm thinking it will be longer.
Good thinking @4cats1home ! Best to set reasonable expectations from the beginning to avoid disappointment. I would think more in terms of weeks not days before you return to work. This may be a partial but it is still major surgery. As Karri has already said recovery is very much like TKR.

Many docs are too optimistic where PKRs are concerned, but the recovery can be very much like a TKR. I suggest planning on more time off than 12 days. That would mean being off all pain meds by 12 days to be able to drive, plus being able to apply brake pressure at 12 days is very unlikely. No two knees are alike, so it's possible, but I'd err on the side of caution.

Thanks @KarriB! I thought when he said 12 days that was very optimistic. I guess when they say partial knee replacement it makes you think only partial recovery time compared to total knee replacement. I don't have to worry about driving to work since I can get a ride, but I don't want to end up at work and be in so much pain that I have to call my ride to come get me.

Good thinking @4cats1home ! Best to set reasonable expectations from the beginning to avoid disappointment. I would think more in terms of weeks not days before you return to work. This may be a partial but it is still major surgery. As Karri has already said recovery is very much like TKR.

Thanks @Jaycey! I will take it weeks at a time and then days at a time. I know that my job will be waiting for me and I will be no good to my employer or myself if my mind & body are not 100% there.

I had a partial and sitting for any length of time with feet down was very difficult for quite a few weeks. As you say, just take it as it comes but prepare to have quite a few weeks rest and recovery before work resumes. I had a great recovery but no way I could have contemplated work at 12 days . My OS said 12- 18 months for full recovery and it took about 4 for me to get back into a normal routine.

You're wise to think that it will take longer than 12 days before you are ready to go back to work again.
Even with a PKR, it's possible that you won't feel ready until about 10-12 weeks, which is what we usually recommend: Phased return to work

It's not just the work - it's the getting ready and travelling to and from work as well.
Even with a desk job, it's a big change and asks a lot of a new knee.

12 days is crazy! I'm on day 11 and I'm still icing, elevating and medicating around the clock. Best of luck to you!

@4cats1home
One more thing you need to check: do make sure your surgeon is prepared to do a total knee replacement (TKR) if he finds that there is any arthritis at all in the other compartments of your knee during your surgery.
Unfortunately, osteoarthritis has a nasty habit of progressing, once you have it. It is not unusual for people with a PKR to need it revised to a TKR quite early, because of this progression.

I had my pre-op check-up today and all looks good. I still need to do the lab work in about 1-1/2 weeks since my surgery is still 3 weeks out.

My surgeon said that I could possibly go back to my desk job after about 12 days, but I'm thinking it will be longer. I might go back to work part-time for a little while.
It will be a LOT longer. Recovery from a partial is exactly the same as a total - 12 weeks minimum and the phased return Celle left you.
I guess when they say partial knee replacement it makes you think only partial recovery time compared to total knee replacement.
I once wrote in a novel "how easy it is to be ambitious with somebody else's stamina"! I was only a youngster at the time but oh how those words resonate here when I read how surgeons are doing that very thing!

I am now 6 weeks out from a partial knee replacement and I couldn't work full time yet. I'm getting close, but I wouldn't be close to full speed. I still have bouts of pain and fatigue. I have yet to sleep a full night, I am taking naps, and I hadn't taken a nap since I was 5. My PT says I am doing great, and my OS is happy; I'm just not able to do that much yet. For the first 3 weeks, I was absolutely floored by fatigue. If I tried to do too much, my whole body hurt. I am starting to feel progress, but I can see it will be a journey. I had my surgery before I found bonesmart, and had very high expectations to be operating at a high level right away. I was in good shape, not overweight, and had been doing PT guided exercises to build specific strength before surgery. I hope your recovery is faster. Best wishes.

Two weeks tomorrow for me. My husband had an early meeting so I had to get the kids up and out myself for the first time. Just throwing together Bfast, packing a couple lunches, required a 5 min break in the chair. Then I took the rollinator to walk them to the bus stop. Made it across the street, down a little ways and had to sit on the Walker and catch my breath before I could walk back. And I'm having a pretty good recovery - started tapering my pain meds, I'm sleeping great. I'm only 44 and wAs very active before surgery - running, working an active job (pediatric SLP), managing 3 kids. But the fatigue is no joke. I feel like I ran a 5k just walking across the street. Respect the recovery!

Off to have my pre-op labs done today before work.

If everything looks good there, I will be booked on the schedule for May 22nd instead of just penciled in.

I got the call that my medical turned out good and my surgery is on schedule for May 22nd.

I go talk to my surgeon on the 17th to go over everything.

I have good days where I wonder if I should have the surgery and then my knee starts hurting and it reminds me of why I need to do this. It's not just to resolve the pain but to get my life back to where I can walk more than 10 minutes without pain.

Once your knee is calling the shots and keeping you from living your life it's probably time.

My knee has been calling the shots for 4 years now. I'm ready to MOVE ON! the more I read on here , the sooner I think a PKR is necessary!!

Best of luck to you! There are great words of healing wisdom here.:)

@4cats1home
My surgeon said I could go back at 12 days 'IF' I worked partial days, elevated & iced.
And that's exactly what I did as I have an office job, too.
For the first week, I worked about 3 hrs. , then went home & took a nap. The fatigue was tough but, I felt so much better going to work that it was worth it to me.
Staying home was hard!
My bosses were great about letting me work whatever hours whenever I felt up to it. Some days I went in at 10am, some at 2pm and a couple of days I didn't go at all.
I'm still in PT 3X a wk and I leave early on those days.
I'm amazed that almost 8wks have gone by since surgery.
I still get tired & sore but it's better every day.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back