THR YAHOO! I made it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nana757

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Well, I made it and after the first trip out of bed, this morning, I continue to improve. So far, meds are working the way they are supposed to, except for hiccups, heartburn and a little vomiting. But I'm doing good. Blood pressure is low, averaging 100/50, which they are monitoring very closely. I made it to the recliner this morning...so much better than the bed. Sleeping and/or doIng off at every opportunity. Pain isn't bad, except when I'm working myself out of the chair to pee. See no swelling or bruising yet, but I'm sure that's coming soon enough. Did have a spinal, which I didn't think was going to be an option. Glad I did it. Also, my OS doesn't use glue anymore. He said he had 3 patients right in a row that came back in with the glue gone. Since he couldn't determine what the cause was, he stopped using it. That made me feel good...shows he does care about his patients. Soooo...I'm following the Mantra..and Sunday afternoon, will be going to a brand new Rehab center close to home (@ 5-10 minutes). Next to the love and support I get from my DH, this site has prepared me for this.... GO BONESMART!!!!!

Oops, I think I posted to wrong thread..can someone put this post in the post-op section? Thank you so much.

Congratulations @Nana757 You have done it! Well done! I am relieved. What's the rehab place like? How long will you be there? Hope it all goes smoothly. I look forward to hearing your news!

@Nana757
Great news! I didn't realize you were going to a rehab facility! An old high school friend of mine just had a THR and did go to a rehab center for two weeks. She is home now, but she said going to rehab after was one of the best decisions she had made. I'm not sure about rehab for me Nana...if ya know what I mean! ;-)
Sleep well, rest, ice and eat well. God bless you!

Congrats!!! Relax and enjoy being pampered! keep us updated on how your doing!

@Nana757 Great to see that scream of joy as you come out the other side. It sounds like you have a really good handle on everything, and as for the rehab centre, that sounds like a really brilliant approach. Good luck with all the challenges of the first few weeks and I look forward to watching your recovery story.

Welcome to the other side @Nana757 ! Your thread is in the right place. Sounds like you are doing great! Ask for anti-nausea meds if you need them. Sometimes the heavy duty pain meds are a bit rough at first. I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer back to during this process.
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

@Nana757, so let me set the visual for you....first cup of coffee, sitting by the water in blissful 75 degree temps with hardly any humidity with my dog while hubby sleeps in. Quiet and peaceful morning with just the sounds of birds chirping. Moments of meditation for blessings and friends, near and far, known and unknown, and when I open up BS, I see your recovery thread!!! You're my answered prayer this morning! Tears flowing for joy!

Sounds like a perfect start. Bumpy ride in the beginning is expected. Yours sounds better than most. Just keep repeating the BS mantra in your head and adhere. The ice is so important.

So we're following your every move! It's again as you feel like ur and celebrate with all your BSmarties your new hip!!!

Great job!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Nana757 !!! :dancy::dancy::dancy: You made it to the other side! yes! You sound great. Looking forward to reading your posts. But only when you are up to it.. congrats!!

Jaycey, Cynthia777, beachgal, copsham, CricketHip[, AndyH99, J-nice and anyone else in BS reading my posts and sending me positive thoughts and inspiration....THANK YOU!!!
Finally figured out the med situation to keep me from getting sick....at least yesterday,, we did.

I spoke too soon about the swelling. Went to do my little PTA bath last night and saw my op leg is swollen. The good news is, I don't have cellulite in that leg any more. With the swelling, my leg looks great! My BP is still running low...98/49 was the first one this morning (3:30 am). Did a couple of jumping jacks and it raised to 105/51), which is still low, but better. Now, for those who really thought and had the mental picture of me doing jumping jacks.....NOT...just some deep breaths did the trick. Been trying to drink a little more water, so that should help. Most times my pain level is at a 2 or 3....sometimes 0..and occasionally 6 or 7. Haven't experienced anything over that yet, which I think is good.

@Jaycey...thanks for posting your words to live by, on my thread...now I can find them easier. BTW..I had posterior, left hip for AVN on 7/30. I also had spinal anesthesia. I Can't figure out how to update my signature.

@Cynthia777...yes..I know what you mean..but they have a wonderful green area just outside the rooms, some rooms have direct access, with a patio door...SWEET, right?

Well I'm gonna try and doze off again before my next interruption. I did get to sleep a little over 4 hours this evening...and probably could have slept more if I wasn't for the nightly blood work and vitals that needed done. But I'm good with 4 hours right now. May be discharged today, but but sure yet...have to wait and see what DR says.

@beachgal ...I love the mental image you set...seems very peaceful...that's the picture I set when I'm having trouble getting back to sleep.
Oh...and my DH saw the incision last night, since he helped me bath..and said it looks great. I think he was just using that as an excuse to see me naked...HAHAHA

Ok..gonna try and get a little more sleep now.
Thanks, again, everyone!!!!!
:yes!::flwrysmile::dancy:

Great post! Sounds like you're doing fine! So happy to hear from you. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Great update, sleep well and long may the pain stay away. I look forward to hearing how much fun rehab is.

Okay..another milestone today..made it through my first PT session. Wasn't too bad, but my bed sure looked inviting when I made it back to the room..with my walker..there and back. And I have to say, going to a brand new rehab facility does have its ups and downs. Unfortunately, there are few nurses, attendants, assistants who have been properly coached and/or trained on the hip restriction protocol. But with my help, they'll get there :yikes:. I have informed everyone who has authority and hopefully, they will put a specific training program in place.

One question for our medical pros....when I sleep (and I do sleep now at least 4 hours with no problem). I tend to wake myself up continuing out my dreams, either by speaking a few words or doing the action I was doing in my dream (like drinking a glass of water or reaching for a Kleenex ow something along those lines). It sounds kinda freaky:dubious: and I don't know whether I should be concerned or not. I'm chalking it up to the meds, because I've never had this happen before.

The good news is my pain level is mostly less than a 3 and maybe a 5 during and after PT. the nurse who changed my dressing (oh, that reminds me...I should be good to go for thanksgiving) said it was the best staple job she's ever seen. She said the surgeon did a stellar job. I just have to keep asking for my ice bag...but that's no big deal. So, precious BS members, that's the latest on my return to being a human again. Of course, clean hair and body would be nice, too. Hubby is due any minute, so I have to pretty myself up for him.

@Jaycey
I have not been able to update my signature yet. I am assuming it's because I'm on my iPad and don't have access to my PC. Can you help please?
"LTHR due to AVN
30th/July/2015
Spinal anesthesia"

Thanks a million!
:curtsey:

@Nana757
Once again, your post brought smiles to my face! You sound sooo good! I'll be curious to see if others have experienced those odd experiences you're having upon waking. I would imagine it must be the meds, as they can do a number on ones mind. Just make sure you don't wake up dreaming of someone like Paul Newman (my first crush) while hubby's there!:heehee:

@Nana757, that sounds perfect! Great job! I had lots of those asleep/awake dreams while I was in the hospital and the first few days home. I chalked it up to the meds and the leftover anesthesia but they subsided in short order. Please remind them of the ice! OMG! When I was in the hospital, the ortho unit had their own little ice packs with their logo on the velcro/microfiber casing. It looked like a regular 9 x 12 tote with velcro fasteners at the top. The ice pack that fit inside was just a little smaller than the tote, but was divided down the middle with a seam so if you were sitting in a chair, you could place 1/2 under your bottom and the other half coming up your side. It was perfect! I asked for another ice pack so I had one to rotate. The covering allowed it to get next to you without freezing your skin!

You're doing so well!!! You'll be their poster gal!

Thanks girls. It's so nice to receive support and kudos! Right this moment, I think I could eat a cow..I'm so hungry. I'm hoping tomorrow will be the big day! I thought I was almost there..but not quite. Daggonnit...there is a huge difference between the hospital setting and rehab setting...no one seems to know how to keep the noise down. Patient across the hall must have hearing issues .. The volume is so loud, I can't hear my program. Oh well... Just another pothole...no biggie! Dinner should be arriving soon...talk later...:hi::flwrysmile::SUNsmile:

Paul Newman would do very nicely! But my DH is the ONE for me!

Well, I had to settle for chicken...it was sooooo delicious! (Not)

@Jaycey, I finally figured out the signature thing. Thanks. Not the computer genius I thought I was.
@Cynthia777: I'm on 1 Percocet every four hours. Was on 2 every four hours. Since knocking it down in half, no more nausea and heartburn has subsided too. Everyone here says I should be home in a week, or less. My rehab is covered by Medicare which is nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics