BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Wrist pain from crutches

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by thegeby, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegeby

thegeby Junior Member

I have developed nerve pain in my right wrist, thumb side, underneath. No doubt it is caused by leaning on the crutches. This is the side where I will need to use crutches for many more weeks so any help is eagerly accepted.

Bjorn

2. Lucy30

Lucy30 Member

I cannot help only sympathise as I have pain in my arms shoulders elbows and hands from the crutches. I have arthritis in all of these joints and the crutches are aggrevating it big time. Pain in the backside arnt they but a neccessity all the same x

3. Thomasinaa

Thomasinaa Post-Grad

I too can only sympatize.. I find using a cane hurts my left shoulder as it aches alot in the evenings, if I've been out shopping or on my feet too much.

I hope you find some relief.

4. alexthecat

alexthecat Forum Advisor

I would suggest double checking that the crutches are adjusted correctly. If they are, check your posture while using them. I found it very easy to slouch when using crutches. That puts unnecessary strain on your wrists, elbows, and shoulders.

5. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Bjor,

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time with your crutches. I have been using crutches for almost 6 months now and although I do get tired hands and have some great calluses (thumb side underneath as you say) I don't have the nerve pain.

I have to agree with alex. When I was fitted for the crutches my PT was very careful to ensure they were not set too low so I couldn't lean into them. You might want to get them checked. It can make all the difference in the world.

Hope you get this resolved. Keep us updated!

6. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime Forum Advisor

Bjorn, I can relate to your wrist pain. I had wrist pain for awhile when using crutches but my bigest problem now is tendonitis in my elbow. I have been using a cane or crutches since last October and my elbow is about to kill me. I have to keep on motrin to keep the pain at a low level but if I forget to take it at night before bed....well, yowee does it hurt.

Like others have said, check the crutch height and try not to lean so much on that wrist. I know it's hard.

7. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Bjorn, are your crutches this type [​IMG] or this type [​IMG]

If the former, then you may be committing the cardinal sin of leaning your weight on your armpits which will damage your brachial plexus - a major nerve that is very superficial in there. You should only put weight on your hands.

Which ever type you are using, if using them correctly and properly adjusted as others have said, then 'crutch neuralgia' is not an uncommon problem. Best I can suggest is that your pad the handles of your crutches with plenty of foam to soften them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.