TKR Will I damage my new knee if I lie on my stomach?

Nammy925

Country
United States United States
Before I begin, I'd like to thank the people who started this wonderful site. I found it at my three week mark, when I was at my lowest point due to depression, cabin fever, and withdrawals from the heavy duty pain meds. It truly is a life saver since it has answered most of my questions about my recovery and let me know that I am not alone.
I'm post-op 12 weeks RTKR with very little pain, 125 flexion and 0 extension. I only take one Tramadol and one Tylenol with codeine a day and nothing at bedtime. However, I have restless nights due to wanting to sleep on my stomach, but afraid I will damage my new knee. I haven't found much on this subject and the one thing I did find said no crossing legs, or sleeping on stomach. Yet, my OS said I can do anything with it because I couldn't hurt it (he did caution me about running and doing high impact sports, but mostly because it will wear out sooner). I'm hoping someone out there has some advice. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I don't see how sleeping on your stomach could damage your knee - those implants are tough - but it might feel uncomfortable. Some PT therapists have people lying face down, for one exercise where they bend the knees.

I'd say not to worry in the slightest. High impact sports are not encouraged, but anything else is pretty much OK.

@ Celle
Yes, I do a couple of exercises on my stomach, but only for five minutes, or so, and I don't feel discomfort. I'm more concerned with it being in that position for more than an hour. A few times I've awakened on my stomach, aching and with creases on my thigh and knee from the sheets....and then the worry begins. Am I messing up the extension, flexion? Will my knee heal at a weird angle? Am I delaying my recovery?
Logic tells me I'm overreacting, but still, I have those nagging questions.

A few times I've awakened on my stomach, aching and with creases on my thigh and knee from the sheets....and then the worry begins. Am I messing up the extension, flexion? Will my knee heal at a weird angle? Am I delaying my recovery?
The answer to all those queries is no. Your knee isn't going to be affected by something you only do for a few hours.

I've been laying on my stomach to sleep since about 3 weeks out from my surgery 18 months ago and my knee is absolutely wonderful!

Thank you, Celle, Roy, and SuperSnapper! I think I will sleep better tonight!!

Thank you for your lovely comments in your first post---we love to hear that we have been of value to you!! I am going to give you your own copy of the recovery posts we give to owners of new knees!! the articles are all short and easy to read and several will be of relevance to you now!!

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

However, I have restless nights due to wanting to sleep on my stomach, but afraid I will damage my new knee.
Gosh, it a knee replacement got damaged that easily it wouldn't cope with much, would it? Have no worry - they are made of tough stuff as is your own knee! You should take a look here and see what some people are getting up to with their new knees! Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@skigirl,

Thank you! These articles helped tremendously!

@Josephine,

Lol!! You are absolutely right, but those questions were driving me crazy and I couldn't find answers ( for peace of mind) anywhere!
When you have lived with pain for years before surgery and then you get a new knee, the fear of somehow ruining it and going back to that prior pain is scary! Thank you for putting it in perspective for me.
I'm going to have the left knee replaced on July 26th and being armed with all the advice on this site will help that recovery go more smoothly!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks