Why is my ankle bruised and calf painful?

3dogmom

Hi, again, can't sleep because I am getting STABBED in the calf just below my knee "bump", and lower down by the ankle. In addition, there is bruising again below my ankle on the inside. I haven't done anything particularly noteworthy but the past few days have been full of errands and less time to elevate and ice. Maybe that's all it takes. Boy, if that is it, I am in big trouble next week when school starts. And if I can't sleep those kids will be dealing with Attila the Hun.

Even took a Vicodin and it's not working. This is very strange.

3dogmom
6/1/10 RTKR:hissy:

3dogmom.....do you have pain if you squeeze your calf real hard? I'm going to tag Josephine to take a look at your post because I am somewhat confused by the bruising on your foot for no reason at this stage. @Josephine:

Try some ice and see if that will calm things down. And you probably do need to cut back on all the activity for a bit until things right themselves.

Okay....that's good. I'm guessing then that it's related to your activity level, but we'll see what Jo says. Try and get some rest tonight!!!

Beats me - I think you should get it looked at by a doctor ASAP. Just to be on the safe side.

Mother Hen has spoken. If you can't get in right away to see your surgeon, go to your GP or to a walk-in clinic. Just so you're not waiting around for an appointment....

I can see that you both feel this needs to be seen. Sadly, I start back at school tomorrow, professional development day, and Tuesday as well. The kids arrive on Wednesday. I have PT on Wednesday.

The bruising has become more faint. Still some random sharp pains in the area of my shin, ankle, hamstring behind the knee, and the knee "bump".

Had to go to Amherst today (3) hour drive to see offspring. Last chance for quite a while. I brought various ice packs and took advantage of the scooter in Target, which was wonderful. I wanted to take it home with me.

Just can't seem to walk any more without pain in both hips, both knees, and feet. My other foot in particular is very much in pain. So you feel as though walking is suposed to be good for you, but I don't know if you can walk off all of those complaints.

3dogmom
RTKR 6/1/10

Good luck tomorrow in school 3dogmom. I hope that you are feeling better and not in so much pain. I start back to school on Wednesday for 2 professional development days. We have Friday off and the kiddies come back on Tuesday after the Labor Day weekend. Since you are having a couple of PD days, why don't you just scoot around in a chair that has rolling wheels. I did that up and down the hall from my classroom to the office when I went in to do things in my room. Everyone knew when I was in the building. LOL

It sounds like you are having some muscle and soft tissue issues. Have you tried a massage therapist? I have been going to one and it has helped me tremendously. I have been having issues with my hamstrings and calves in both legs and IT band in my TKR knee. I have never had issues with my calves and hamstrings and now they are so sore. I think it is because my TKR leg is finally straight after 30 years and I no longer walk with a limp. My body must be adjusting.

Just a thought, maybe you need new shoes or sneakers. If you are wearing worn ones from before your TKR it may be throwing you off balance and causing you some pain.

If you can't arrange and appointment to the doctor, why now give him a call or leave a message so he can call you back.

Have a great first week back. Let us know how you make out.

Good suggestion, Jerseychick.

3dog....you really should not be in this much pain at this point. It certainly sounds like you may be doing more than your body is ready to do. I would caution you against that! Overdoing it has a way of coming back on you big time when you least expect it.

Please let us know what you find out from the doctor.

So you're going to put your family's needs and wants before your own health and safety? What would you do if you had a blood clot, a heart attack or a broken bone? Don't be so all self-sacrificing. There are more important issues in life.

It's not that I don't think that I am important as well. I am a single parent, my parents are gone, and my brother works constantly. If one of my girls needs me to do something I pretty much do it, within reason. I hadn't seen the far-away one for over a month, it was my last chance for a while. She wanted me to come, how could I say no?

Bruising is gone. The knee itself is not so much painful as stiff and swollen. I did get a new pair of athletic footwear (so attractive) and will wear them. Had my first in-service today, FORGOT my ice, got some from the nurse. Of course, that doesn't help when you're walking, or, God forbid, standing talking to the innumerable people who want to know how my knee is. AWFUL. And I'm in general one of the ones who they say has done very well. But I swell up so easily. Wrote myself a note, ice tomorrow. Will be sitting most of the day at science and math workshops, I teach music, makes sense, right?

I feel guilty because I am overweight. I feel as though I weigh 500 pounds and my body is screaming in rebellion. Since the surgery I have lost about 10 pounds but more would require more exercise and a better diet, like the kind you would have if you felt like cooking.

Did tell my other daughter that, this week, when I come home I am not available, sorry, got to get my feet up and my ice on. Not doing anything.

Jerseychick, that schedule is what we used to do, until this year. Don't why we're starting all at once, and it's going to be lovely going over the bridge to the Cape on Friday afternoon. I can't picture motoring around in the chair - doesn't that movement hurt your knee as well?

Thanks, everybody.
3dogmom
RTKR 6/1/10

Hi 3dogmom, your PD sessions sound like mine. I teach English as a Second Language and have sat through lots of workshops that had nothing to do with my subject area. This year we have 2 full days of curriculum mapping and professional learning communities. Please just shoot me now. I am not looking forward to them.

I only used my good leg to scoot around it the chair. I held my TKR leg up. I think I am ready for races up and down the hall. LOL

I hope your day isn't too bad tomorrow and I hope your knee is a bit better.

Curriculum mapping,NOOOOO... I fear this is what we will be doing in science and math. It's happened before, I have my fellow music teachers holding me back from lodging a complaint.

You must make quite a picture zooming down the halls! Good for you.

3dogmom
RTKR 6/1/10

Hey Jerseychick,

I remember "the good old days of "curriculum mapping!" We would have workshops and then we would put the neat little notebooks next to the other notebooks from other workshops on our shelves:hehe: That way we looked like we were "with" it!:D

3dogMom, I hope you can get through the stabbing pains and get to feeling better before school starts! It is hard enough just dealing with the students! I have taught 7th grade for 20 years, but I have had to take last year and this year off due to my knees.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom