BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Why Don't I Have An Appetite??

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Yamhillnancy, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yamhillnancy

Yamhillnancy Member

This is weird, I mean really WEIRD :shk: It has been three weeks to the day since my TKR and I can hardly eat. If you knew me you would understand that this is highly unusual. I am thirsty,but any time I put something in my mouth it turns to sawdust and I can hardly swallow it. Yesterday Dick went to Trader Joe's to pick up some wine (they have good cheap wine; 2 Buck Chuck!!) and when he was at the checkout counter he saw some trail mix. He thought that maybe I would like it. When he got home he poured some into a bowl and oh my gosh was it GOOD. It was only when I got through my second bowl that I realized that there were M&Ms in it. Oh well. :hehe:
    Is this lack of appetite par for the course 3 weeks after surgery?? I could loose 30 lbs and be really happy, so maybe I should just relax and go with the flow, but to be honest with you, I feel kind of sick to my stomach. Maybe it is the percocet?? Just thought of that just now.

2. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

nancy...
    Perfectly normal. Most everyone has loss of appetite. It has a lot to do with the medications. (I feel like I have a horrible taste in my mouth). I think the trick is to find things that are really tastey for you a pick them. Odd as it may seem for me very spicy things have been good. The other thing is you can try smaller portions. Larger portions make food less attractive for me right now.

I went to the doc and thought I had lost weight but had stayed the same. (BTW...your knee weighs about 6 ounces).

3. Yamhillnancy

Yamhillnancy Member

>>>(BTW...your knee weighs about 6 ounces)>>>

Really? How much did the old knee weigh? I had a breast reduction a couple of years ago and when I woke up from the anesthesia I lost 5 lbs!! So, I am thinking...between the breast and the knee, what else can I get rid of? Maybe I should get a few inches cut off my hair? Cut my toe nails? I could get a bit of liposuction in a few places. :thmb:

4. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

Got my hair cut today. I feel like a new woman!

5. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

United States United States
    My appetite was significantly reduced for several months following surgery. I ate merely because I knew I had to (I take what I call "stay-alive medicines" and they go down/work better with some food).

It came back for me, fully, around four-ish, maybe five months out.

6. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I bought in heaps of food pre-op. So much I had to put up an unused pine book shelf unit in the kitchen to take the overflow! I think I laid up enough food to last through a harsh winter (And oh look! we had one! :hehe:)

but I'm still eating it now because I had no appetite! For weeks I had no appetite and ate very little except nibbles and chocolate. But it passed and my appetite returned in full. *dolefully surveys flowing belly*

Incidentally, the 'old' knee weighed about 150gms max!

7. Ginnibug

Ginnibug Senior

I have lost 20 pounds since my surgery and basically lived on cereal (rice chex) for
    2 1/2 months. It was odd that my stomach could handle the milk when everything else simply did not agree with me. I would crave food and be so ready to gobble it up until it was sitting before me and I could not eat it.

Now, a full week off of the narcotics, my appetite is coming back and I can eat very small portions of most foods that I enjoyed before surgery.

(((HUGGS)))

Ginger

8. terieee

terieee Junior Member

Same here, lost my appetite, and now I have favorite foods: mac and cheese, tuna, hot dogs, ??? Almost like a craving. I lost ten pounds. Still can't eat that much..think my stomach shrank! Cool.

RTKR: 12/28/2009

9. Yamhillnancy

Yamhillnancy Member

What I really, really want to eat right now are pancakes and bacon.:D (Crisp) I want to go out to this restaurant in town where it is served. Now I just have to get my husband to take me there. I am glad that everyone else has had a lack of appetite also.

10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Yep, Nancy......don't worry about it. It's just one of those "stages" that most of us go through. Bacon and pancakes....hmmmm.....maybe hubby could run by and do a pick-up order.

11. Soozieinthesky

Soozieinthesky Member

wow!! I ate all the time,,and gained 10 pounds.:pzld:

12. Linda2

Linda2 Post-Grad

I had no real appetite for months after my first surgery. My stomach shrank, and I decided that was never going to eat until I was stuffed again--and I haven't. (I can, and do, eat often.) :wink: I really didn't eat much hot or warm food. I liked cold things and nuts.

13. Yamhillnancy

Yamhillnancy Member

Last night we went out to dinner to celebrate our son-in-law's acceptance into law school. We went to a really nice Italian restaurant. If that place didn't tempt my appetite nothing could. I ordered a lovely roasted yellow pepper soup and a nice branzino (Italian white fish that they de-boned at the table) I couldn't eat any of it. What did appeal to me yesterday was those Keebler cheese crackers with the peanut butter inside. I had a package of those. I guess I should be happy about this lack of appetite.

14. Linda2

Linda2 Post-Grad

That sounds like I was--no desire for hot food that would constitute a real meal.

15. betsy13

betsy13 Member

So did I!!!

16. Nursepair

Nursepair Supremo

With my first TKR I lost 20lbs as I had no apetite, I was on Percocets x 2 x 4 hourly. This 2nd TKR I had no apetite for a week, lost 5lbs, then I came off Percs (just didn't need anything as strong by then) and I got my apetite back and I have put on 10lbs!!!!

I also lost my taste for tea, :shk:, but finally got it back 5 weeks after surgery, thank goodness. I was dying for a cuppa but it tasted like boiled water. I tried every day for weeks. I had terrible headaches for first week, cravibg for caffeine I guess.

Talking of tea,I think I will now go and have one (Well I am originally English you know)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.