BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Why do I go to sleep as soon as I sit down?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Jean, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Jean

Jean Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My husband gets very annoyed with me as I go to sleep almost as soon as I sit
    down and keeps asking me why I do this.

Well, I have very bad nights when I hardly sleep at all due to hip pain.
    When I get up I make myself do a few household chores which inludes making the beds
    and washing up breakfast dishes. About 12.30 I do sandwiches or salad for us for lunch
    and again wash up afterwards.
    Then most days we get ready and I drive to the supermarket where my husband just
    sits in the car while I struggle round doing the shopping.
    It really is a struggle as my hip hurts so much. The driving also gives me great pain.
    After putting shopping away I prepare the evening meal, and after eating I once more
    wash the dishes.

All this makes me feel really exhausted and yet it is such a small amount of
    activity to what I used to do before my hip.

I am just hoping that once my hip is done I shall have a lot more energy.

How do other hippies get on?

:zzz:

2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Ummmm.....Jean.....I'm going to try and put this somewhat delicately....but.....

why are YOU the one who has to do all these things while your hubby sits back and watches or gets waited upon????

Am I missing something? Aren't you the one with the bad hip? Isn't he the healthy, mobile one?
  3. Jean

Jean Senior

Hi Jamie

Unfortunately husband is not healthy having suffered a heart attack about two years ago, and also has great problems walking now due to severe arthritis in his ankles with practically no feeling in his feet.

That is why he makes me so mad when he asks why I keep dozing off as
    I expected he would have more sympathy - but obviously some men don't
    think like us.
    :skp:
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis, Jean. That would be painful. Is there nothing he can take that works for the pain? Having had a heart attack, I'm sure the doctors would be telling him he needs regular cardio exercise and it doesn't sound like he's getting much of that.

You're right....he should have more sympathy. Some people seem to become very dependent on their partner and don't handle it well when the normal life is upset by something like surgery and recovery. It makes sense to me that you would doze off!!! You need to get your rest whenever and wherever you can before your surgery date!
  5. Thomasinaa

Thomasinaa Post-Grad

Hi Jean
    I fall asleep very easy too when I sit down and the only way I can stop this is with my knitting, If I just sit to watch TV, I fall asleep.. I fall asleep in the car... sometimes even just short trips and this has been going on for many many years.. since my 20's. I've slept through so many car journey's, I've lost count over the years...

I'm sorry that you too struggle with this, it's awful, and I can empathize with you. Some days I'm so wiped out, it's hard to think, knit, or do anything.. but I too stagger through my chores and have to nap in the afternoon.. if I don't I'm so tired after dinner I just want to go to bed.

I have Fibromyalgia also and think this is where alot of my fatigue comes from. Since my hip went, I've been having more FM problems...

Your husband must get really tired too and should understand. My husband has been good and does understand, but I'm sure there are times he'd like to go out and do more.

You take care.. maybe you could try sqeezing in a nap before dinner...
  6. Rohanknitter

Rohanknitter Post-Grad

I used to sit down in the afternoon for a bit before making supper and I often fell asleep. Fighting that pain all the time is exhausting. A grocery store trip was exhausting, even though i always took one of the kids with to help. Not to mention, if you're not sleeping well, it's normal to be more tired. I got tired very easily for a few weeks after surgery (and still do after a very big day) but overall I have WAY more energy. And a simple trip to get groceries does not wipe me out for the rest of the day. :thmb:
  7. JackiesLost

JackiesLost Senior

Canada Canada
    Hi Jean

I think what we all caught with our wobbly, painful joints is sleeping sickness maybe...nah, heavens girl even though I have had my surgery done, I am still tired a lot of time...

You do realize just how big a pile of work you are doing daily I am sure so there seems no need to wonder why it is your tired and falling asleep.

I assume you are on pain meds of some kind too, they could also be making you drowsy. Seems to come with getting rid of some of the pain I think.

All I can suggest is to have patience with yourself, perhaps your hubby could help with the washing up and shopping. Walking would likely help him a lot too.

I cannot complain, my hubby is a dream when it comes to helping me, but now I am well on the road to recovery I have found my stubborness again and fight every move I can for helping me. I feel so darn guilty after he looked after the whole thing for almost 2 years.

I am rambling sorry, take care of yourself and by all means rest when your body is telling you too.

Jackie
  8. Jean

Jean Senior

That's very encouraging Karen to hear that a shopping trip does not 'wipe you out' now. :thmb:

I do miss my shopping trips but it's all I can do at the moment to find just essential items I need.

9. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

Well, sis, with all that and everything else you do that you haven't mentioned, the effort you are putting into it all is the equivalent of running a marathon every day. Pain pills and bad nights notwithstanding, it's no wonder you feel tired all the time.

Tell Jack, if he doesn't get his act together soon, when I come down there I shall [​IMG] with no hesitation whatsoever!
  10. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Spoken like only a sister can....:hehe:

We love you, Jean, and know that relief is coming soon. Hang on just a little longer!!!
  11. Jean

Jean Senior

Oh Jo - you wouldn't would you?
    :hehe:
  12. Rosebrooke

Rosebrooke Member

Australia Australia
    Hang in there Jean! I know just how you feel. I don't have anyone to help and I too find it hard to stay awake sometimes. My kids wanted me to h come to their athletics day and I had to say no as it was to far to walk and too tiring to manage. Seem like each day gets a little harder.... Maybe if you tried to have a rest at lunch time and asked hubby just to do lunch for you. It is amazing how even an hour of rest can make a little difference. Big Hugs to you.
  13. Toni05

Toni05 Junior Member

Hi Jean,

After reading your posts I just had to speak up. It does sound like with the hip pain and all that you do and the not sleeping well could and probably does cause you to fall asleep easily.

Although, have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? When I had my hysterectomy 12/28/09 and they had trouble intubating me and just about cancelled my surgery, the anesthesiologist and gyn, at different times came and pulled my husband in a room to talk him about this. I was not happy when I found out what my DH said to them. The anesthesiologist told me the next day, the fight was on right then and there. Of course, I knew none of this was going on.

Upon the anesthesiologist suggestion I did call a sleep clinic in my town and could not get in for 2 1/2 months. Not going to work out for me. When I went for the pre op for the HR Surgery, I gave a copy of the letter given to me by the anesthesiologist in December for any future surgeries.

My OS makes you go through a very intense checkup by a group of Internists that he uses before he will do surgery on you. Did EKG twice, didn't like the results of either one of them and he told me that I had had a Heart Attack at some time. News to me. So he sent me for Echo, and I guess it was okay, because I did not hear anything back. (I have got to get a copy of my records.)

Well, when he read the letter from my December surgery, that threw up a red flag also. Set me up to see a Sleep Doctor to be checked for Sleep Apnea. Did the one night study and then saw the Sleep Doctor coming in that morning. I had to wait around for my Pre-Op PT appointment that I missed because of having to have the Echo done right then. He sent one of his office ladies to the cafeteria to ask me to come back to see him after I was finished with breakfast. (This Surgical Hospital had great food, even have a Chef.)

Set me up to stay in the area that day for the second night of the sleep study with the CPAP machine. This was an hour and a half from my home. They really did try to work with me so I did not have to make so many trips. Luckily I have one son and wife that live in that city where I had the consult with the Sleep Dr. and 30 minutes from where I went for the sleep study. I had set up to have dinner with them between my Consult with the Sleep Dr. and then first night of the study so I would have something to do.

My husband finally talked me into calling my son again the next day and go to dinner somewhere the second night so I didn't have to eat alone. I just did not want to bother him a second night, but he and his wife gladly took pity on me. I hurt way too much to try and do any shopping to waste time.

Evidently I could not get into REM sleep hardly at all and they could not put the machine and mask on me that first night. I was told I had to do this and had to get the machine, because I did have moderate to mild sleep apnea and it was dangerous for me to not be on the CPAP after surgery with all of the drugs during surgery and after surgery plus having to sleep on my back for 6 weeks. My CPAP went to surgery with me. My OS would have not done my surgery if I had not cooperated with this.

Well, I had a follow up appointment yesterday to get the results of the second night of the study. I can see that the machine has helped cut down the apneas and the hypopneas. My sleep efficiency was 72.3% before CPAP and was raised to 89.45% w/CPAP the second night of the study. I know that I am sleeping better now and through the night without all of the awakenings that I had previous. Not perfect, but better.

My oxygen level drops improved w/CPAP also. I guess I had a really bad apnea, where I did not breath and the oxygen level and Heart Rate really dropped way too low during the first night, I know that I awoke and sat straight up in a panic and the tech came in immediately. Jeeze, husband has now told me that he would count when I stopped breathing, but never told me any of this. I did thank him BTW. He does not believe in S.A. or the CPAP. He laid off when I told him I would just cancel the HR Surgery.

I have said for years that I was tired but no doctor paid any attention to me. I really just thought I was tired from all of the work from raising the kids and from the years of hurting. Now if I could just convince someone else to have a study done. This one falls asleep before his head hits the pillow and as soon as he sits down also. I did not fall asleep during the daytime though, even when I was so tired.

I do not mind the CPAP machine or the mask and I am hoping that I can improve that sleep efficiency even more. I understand that you create a sleep debt and it will take a while to recover from it, but I am beginning to feel less tired. Now if I could just go to bed at a decent time instead of being a Night Owl that I have learned to do all these years. The Sleep Dr said that would help me.

Well, just wanted to mention that there are other causes for being tired. You have no way of knowing this without the Sleep Study.

Have to mention that during the second night there was a young man that said that his wife MADE him get this done or else. He already had his probes on him and was taking pictures with his camera phone sending them to his wife and laughing. I told him that NO ONE was going to see me with all of those probes and machine on me. I counted 39 probes along with the machine hung around my neck for those probes plus the CPAP mask. What a pretty sight. No way was I letting that get out there. It would be great for Blackmail though. I went straight to my room after I was hooked up and hid. I did not stay and watch anymore TV that night. Now if I could just get my hands on the video tape that they take while you are sleeping I will be all set.

Sorry for the long winded post. Just a thought.

Your pre-op will be over soon and you will do fine. I know I was so upset and nervous before the hysterectomy, even told the young little nurse that I was going to run away that morning. She informed me that she would just have to come and get me. Little did she know that I would have had a very hard time trying to run very far with my hip problems. I was not a bit nervous or upset getting the HR done, go and figure.

Hope you get a surgery date soon and you will quite hurting from the hip.
  14. Jean

Jean Senior

Rosebrooke
    Thanks for reply. I'm not the only one feeling so tired then!
    Husband has never been used to preparing meals- I think he would try but he is much worse
    than I am at walking/standing. It's his lack of sympathy and understanding that gets me mad.

Toni
    Thanks for that long post. I haven't considered that I have sleep apnea but I do know a lot about it as my older sister (not Jo - she's several years younger than me :D ) suffers from it and has had several tests. Don't think that's what I have - I'm just feeling shattered through lack of sleep at night as I just cannot get comfortable in bed. Funny that I can sit in an arm chair and be asleep in just a few seconds - perhaps I should sit in the chair all night :yn:
  15. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Jean, you sit down and fall asleep because that's the only time you can! Pre-op pain just wipes you out! I slept in 30-40 minute segments for the last few months of my pre-op time. The night of my op (post-op) I slept for 5 solid hours and woke up with a start. I couldn't believe it.

You have pre-op nerves and pain. It's hard to cope. Don't worry about catching a few cat naps! Your body needs a bit of a break!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jane2004

jane2004 Junior Member

Dear Jean,

Don't fight the sleep - let it happen, you obviously need it!

Just focus on how much easier things will be post-op.

I will follow your progress and wish you well.

Jane