Which is harder recovering from Hip Replacement or Knee Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

trish.tx

I am curious

I had LTHR last of May and while doing rehab 2x a day at hospital , I really was surprised at how fast the knee people seemed to be healing and bending you know all the exercises they have us do walking ext..........

I always thought the knee surgery would be quickest to recover from,

But after reading all the knee stories and swelling and icing I believe the knee surgery is harder to recover from. Thinking of the bending of the knee and all the daily stress & they would have to measure the degree of flexing

Both is major surgery both has alot of healing time neither is a walk in the park

When I had my hip replacement the fear of hip poping out or falling weighed on my mine daily /hourly .I am having to remember heel toe heel toe to try to stop limping. I dont have heat in my hip ect.....

I know neither is a picnic but for me Im thinking now knee replacement has to be harder to recover from .

What is your opinion :sct:

I was just wondering what you guys think .

Now sure which is easier. But do know think from what I have read, the hip patient has a faster recovery.

But both are major surgeries.

I think from what I have read as well. The knee is harder to recovery. Yet both but are not easy.....
PS I sooo Love your lil puppy Pic, adorable....

I'm a hippie......and after reading everyone's knee accounts, I'd agree with you......TKR's seem more difficult!! That's just MY opinion!!!!

Hi Trish,

Having had both, the hip is harder from the restrictions angle but then the recovery is a lot shorter, the knee is strong from the word go but the recovery is much longer and the pain is a lot worse than the hip. Both are major surgeries.

Fortunately I have had a great recovery in both, and can only speak on how it was for me, might be different for others.

Well, the knee a lot more difficult for many reasons. First is that the knee joint is far bigger and more complex than the hip joint. It has more to do with less structures. Though basically a hinge joint, it also has to perform rotation, adduction and abduction as well which goes against the mechanical functions of a basic hinge. And it's quite superficial as well, little depth of tissue covering whilst there is a myriad of ligaments, muscles and other structures around and within it. It is also the largest joint in the body.

The hip, on the other hand, is deep in the body, lots of good, big muscles covering it. It's a simple ball and socket joint and relatively uncomplicated. And it's about half the size of the knee joint.

That answer your questions?

yes , thank you I thought the knee was more harder to recover from by just reading the blogs, thank you for explaining in such easy terminology to where I could see why I was thinking correctly.I know I never thought I would need a hip replacement but I know I surely pray I never have to have a knee replacement.

Blessing to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back