BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

When does this stiffness and soreness go away????

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by buddy4651, Jun 2, 2013.

1. buddy4651

buddy4651 New Member

United States United States
    I am entering my 5th week post surgery.I wanted to get some feedback.I realize each and everybody is different.Also from what I have read here there is a lot of healing going on and it will take a lot of time.I occasionally take my prescribed vicodin either when I know I am going to be busy or after PT.Tomorrow I will be beginning my first session of outpatient PT.Not sure how many sessions per week or how many weeks I will have to go.I have been staying on top of the PT exercises they gave me through home care and there has been some improvement.I use the walker if I have to get up in the middle of the night.Otherwise I use the cane.I just started putting vitamin E oil on the scar for my second day.I was wondering when all the pain and stiffness disappears.I feel I would be able to walk even better if the stiffness and pain were not there.It would be a more normal walk or is this something that would improve further with outpatient PT.This is my first TKR so I am a real newbie at this.Thanks.....
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. speccybecky

speccybecky Sr Bonesmartie

You occasionally take prescribed medication! Why? If its prescribed you should be taking it for stiffness and soreness.
    I think it was about 10/12 week mark when I felt like me again. I still had bad days, and nights , but that was the first glimmer of light.
    It is a loooong recovery and you have a long way to go but you will get there. Please don't be in pain if you don't have to be
  3. Nanners

Nanners Post-Grad

Well I am 9 mos out and am still stiff and sore. This is a really long recovery and you are still in the earliest days. In fact, you are at a point where most of us complain. With other surgeries usually at 6 weeks you are almost recovered, but with a knee replacement, you are looking at a full year OR more, before things are healed. Hang in there, better days are ahead. Hugs!
  4. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

I agree with speccy--take your pain meds regularly and that will help with that stiff, sore feeling. The stiffness is a kind of pain.
    It will be a slow but steady progress. By week 12 you'll be a bit stiff and sore, but like she says pretty much back to "yourself."
    Do you ice and elevate during the day?
  5. eaglemom

eaglemom Junior Member

Tomorrow is my 5th week also. And my main issue is swelling and stiffness. If the swelling would stay down then I'd have more range of motion. I've not been consistantly taking my pain meds either, but always at bedtime. I am uncomfortable during the day but haven't been taking the prescribe med - that will change tomorrow. :SUNsmile:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Around a month - six weeks is IMO the worst time; you're run down with what seems interminable recovery and you can't see the end of it. You just have to relax, I'm afraid, and let time go by. Your body is beavering away healing, it's just that it's got so much work to do that you can't see progress. It's there, though.

Keep doing gentle stretching, otherwise do fanny adams.
  7. speccybecky

speccybecky Sr Bonesmartie

I'd agree with Roy, at 6 weeks I thought I'd crippled myself and would never walk again.! Also I wasn't sleeping and just generally miserable. Once I found this site i realised that all I was feeling was normal and that there was nt a great deal to do but wait!
    I just became more relaxed about the whole Thing. No point stressing in the night just find something else to do, relax and sleep in the day, take pills , gentle exercises, lots of ice and tv! Of course I was fortunate that I had paid sick leave and could take the time while still getting paid.
  8. Lauramacky

Lauramacky Member

H there buddy! I'm eight days shy of six months. It took me three months to drive, three months to feel even semi normal and I still don't quite feel normal. My surgeon says realistically to feel like you haven't had a knee replacement, it takes between six months and one year. But as far as the intense pain, I'd say it took me about 10-12 weeks. I actually blogged about my knee replacement every two or three days. At the five month mark, I compiled a graph showing my emotional and physical feelings over the five month period and also a data point to show the reduction in medication. You can find that graph here FYI. http://lauramacky.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/five-month-report/

I wish I had a graph like this to look at when I was recovering just so I knew I wasn't going nuts. I had a lot of issues with my leg and my foot and my hip and my back as well. Almost all of those have resolved or diminished greatly! You will get there!!! Hang in there!
  9. turtle68

turtle68 Graduate

Lauramacky,
    I have been reading your blog and can totally relate to the 3 month low. I have been having the groin, abductor, etcl issues as my body adjusts to this new knee. Was just wondering this morning why I traded my arhtriitic knee pain for what now seems like chronic pain, but after reading your blog this morning I look forward to the morning when I wake up, get on with the day, and don't think about the knee. Dorothy
  10. Lauramacky

Lauramacky Member

Awesome turtle! Glad you felt like you weren't alone. There are many of us out there! I'd love to hear your progress. Sometimes I don't check this as often but you can always contact me via my blog. Best wishes!!!