When did you feel able to work from home after THR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstreet

I have a job where I can do about 50% of the work over e-mail and web on a laptop. I'm wondering when I might be able to get back to doing some of my job before going back in the office.

For folks that have had a THR did you feel like you could handle 2-3 hours computer work after a few weeks?

Dear cstreet,

I'm literally twice your age and no poster boy for fitness and healthy living. Had my THR on 1/31/11. From what your describing I think you would have to be a complete basket case not to be able to do your work at home during week 2.

I know, I know, you'll hear from people here that it will take sooooo much longer before you can perform even the most basic of human functions. Prove 'em wrong. Even if you were bed ridden( which you won't be) you can work from a laptop. Short of a coma there is no reason you can't resume part of your normal life.

I was back on the computer at day 3, walking to the store for cigarettes at day 5 and sailing my boat at Week 3. Think about it. Your recovery isn't preordained by some set of generalized statistics. The patient has a lot of influence on the pace of their recovery.

Be Well

Jack

Personally I wouldn't have been able to concentrate or focus sufficiently to work until the 3-4 week mark. Up until that point I needed daytime naps. Everyone is different. I'm thoroughly enjoying the time off work and making the most of it by going swimming, meeting up with friends and many other things I will have little time for when I'm back at work.

Good luck

I think It depends, in part, upon what kind of work you do and what kind of drugs you're taking to manage your pain; but yes, you could most likely manage a few hours of computer work, via a laptop, a few weeks after surgery. I was able to video conference for about an hour three weeks after surgery, but I wasn't happy about it. I also did some minor editing and statistical analysis at that time using my laptop. Jack is right, you'll be able to do it.

That being said, I have a slightly different take on work after major surgery, and joint replacement is major surgery. I'm still on disability. I'm enjoying my time off and I'm in no hurry to get back to work. It will still be there when I return and it will go on long after I'm gone. My disability time is ME time, I enjoy my daily walks, they're fun and I'm up to 3+ miles already! Take as much time as you can possibly afford to heal. Your body will thank you for it.

Good luck! You are going to feel so much better.

We had a member last year, called himself pilot, he had his own business and started back to work the day after he got home! He had his hip done and then a few months later, his knee. Did the same both times. Had to say he was sensible (in the end!) and limited himself to a couple of hours work the first few days but he managed. He also set up his 'office' around his recliner so he could elevate and ice while he worked! Anything's possible!

I am also 34 years old and just had both my hips replaced over this past winter, 6 weeks apart. My job is a mixture of desk work and some warehouse duties and I was able to come back to work at the 9 week mark, im sore and need to be careful but im doing it. As far as computer work I think I would have been just fine at the 3 or 4 week mark, but we all heal differently and have different pain thesholds. Either way your body will tell you if you are ready or not and LISTEN TO IT, and do not over do it.

The only limitation I can see is the pain meds. You wouldn't want to risk errors, etc due to working while heavily medicated.

Otherwise I agree with all the advice you have already received - try it and see. But listen to your body!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member