BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

What to bring to the hospital?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by jazz6661, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazz6661

jazz6661 Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I am a planner so I'm just now beginning to wonder what to bring with me to the hospital (even though my surgery isn't until 9/7). In the past (for having babies and other surgeries) I always bring too much and never really even end up wearing any clothes at all until discharge. I'm thinking though with having to do therapy - I might actually want some clothes. What did everyone else do? Thank you!

2. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

United States United States
    c52.gif Check out the Library--there are a couple of articles on exactly what you're asking. It's amazing how many questions are answered by Library articles---we just don't take the time to look.

3. Cynthia07

Cynthia07 Member

Don't bring too much! do bring too much to therapy- you'll need some nice sweat pant outfits. If you are going to
    rehab, make sure someone can do your laundary . Hospital stay was a peice of cake, all you really do is sleep.
    good luck!

4. GrahamDee

GrahamDee Senior

I can give you my opinion for what it's worth. I took loads of stuff with me, most of it based on the pdf list elsewhere on the forum. But if I had to go again, I would have to list the most important:

Loose tops/bottoms
    Loose underware, plus several pairs as spare
    Slip-on type slippers/soft footware, with rubber soles
    Dressing gown

5. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I brought a few magazines, one book, iPad and phone. A toiletries bag. Easy shoes to slip on. If I'd known ahead of time I was only staying one night, I wouldn't have brought that much.

For PT, I wore the hospital gown, with a second one tying in the front, so I didn't moon everyone along the way. I wore the slipper socks they give you in the hospital.

In short, you need very little.

Sharon

6. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    I spent a total of 13 days in hospital. Five of which were in ICU, so during that time stayed in a hospital moonin gown.. Finally got into my long tshirt nighties and was happy I had quite a few as I changed each day.

Finally when walking started, I just popped on a jumper and crocs and off I went.

Toiletries and the essential iPad, phone all fitted into an overnight bag. I have learnt over many years of travel to travel light...

7. Lgastreich

Lgastreich Member

I wore the same outfit going home as I did checking in. I took 2 pair pjs but only used one. I was restricted to the bright yellow "fall hazard" slipper socks the entire time I was there so my brand new slippers went unused and sadly were left behind. iPad, headphones, phone and the most basic of toiletries. I took more, but didn't need much.

8. JustaDreamer

JustaDreamer Junior Member

I took a pair of house slippers with rubber souls, the moccasin looking kind.
    A modest, light gown and house coat.
    I too wore the same clothes going out as I wore going in...just a sun dress.
    I took a hair brush and a hair clip, as I get hot on the back of my neck easy. The hospital supplied
    tooth brush and paste. I also took my laptop but was in no shape to even open it, so that was wasted.
    Take some loose, high cut panties or you may be stuck wearing their mesh ...oooogly things.
    I started my period the day before surgery.. omg what a horrid ordeal, but take YOUR kind of pads if you
    are in the same boat there.
    good luck :) and don't worry if you over pack, just don't take much of value to get lost or stolen.
    As far as having physical therapy, mine was for 1 day , total of about 30 min. Just a short walk,
    a few stairs and they were done and ready to toss me out.
    I am glad you found this site so long before your surgery. I found it just 2 weeks before mine.
    Had I found it earlier, my nerves would have been much more settled before the surgery.

9. jazz6661

jazz6661 Junior Member

Thanks everyone. I did look at the list in the library but I wanted to hear people's personal opinions. I really like the give and take of this forum. I find the library enormously helpful but I also like to chat :)!

JustaDreamer - I, too am supposed to get my period right before my surgery - really dreading that!

10. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

The most important to take to the hospital is a good, positive outlook on life. If you look for the positive you will do fine. as far as what physical to take, not much. You won't be feeling the best so don't take much. I took magazines and after I finished them I took them to the magazine table and left them for the next person.:puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. jazz6661

jazz6661 Junior Member

Tashia - that is the best advice ever! Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  12. rider1960

rider1960 Post-Grad

I've had both hips replaced 5 months apart at different hospitals but with the same surgeon. The first hospital wanted everyone to get fully dressed every day, so I brought a full change of clothes for each day. Second hospital didn't require me to get dressed every day, but they did want patients to wear shorts or some kind of pants for therapy, since they had a very aggressive PT program and I was on a bed-like table for a lot of therapy exercises and I would have given people a show without lower body clothing of some sort, lol. I still got fully dressed because it made me feel better and like less of a patient.

My advice would be check with the hospital--usually the nursing staff knows what the policies are--you can call them and ask. Whatever clothing you bring, make sure it is loose, has elastic or drawstring type waistband and are easy to pull on, loose and short socks (makes it easier to get on with your sock "putter-onner"). I liked loose tee shirts and knit shorts for the warmer weather and sweatpants for the winter hip surgery. I found I got warm a lot after surgery and ran a low grade temp, so sweat shirts were too heavy for me.

I wore regular sneakers--first one with regular laces and the staff helped me with the laces. I added elastic laces for the second hip so I could put the shoes on myself. I didn't buy new shoes because I didn't know if my feet would swell.

I brought all my own toiletries--toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, deodorant, shampoo if you want to shampoo your hair (along with a hair dryer since the unit didn't have one). I didn't bring much reading material to the second hip surgery because I didn't feel like reading much the first one. I mostly watched TV and talked with visitors or people who called on the phone. I didn't feel like doing anything that required concentration. I slept whenever I could--never pass up a chance to sleep because they might need to wake you up frequently for things and your sleep will be broken. I particularly remember those super early morning blood draws each day--4:30 am or so! And, I went to PT twice a day at each hospital. I was kept busy, so I slept whenever I could.

Good luck!

Dorothy

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.