BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

What kind of pet should I get?

Discussion in 'Social Room' started by tashia, Apr 22, 2012.

1. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

As you know I have been thinking of a pet. Since its a real serious chose. Should I get a dog? A Cat? or Fish? Fish are quite and relaxing but aren't friendly.

Dogs have cold noses and need to walk.

Cats live in apartment and don't need walking.

I need feedback on what kind of pet and if so what are they strong points. i really am interested in this so please post.
    Tashia needs a pet but is it a dog:doggieshmooze:, a cat:cat-kittyandsmiley:, or fish?
  2. WVKathy

WVKathy Junior Member

Hi Tashia,

Everybody needs to walk, not just dogs. I don't know much about you, but unless you can't walk, get a small, friendly dog. Think of the dog as your personal trainer, and get used to walking it every day.

Get a dog that's been bred to be a companion animal and it will always be thrilled to be with you, and soon it will become your best friend.

Get a dog that doesn't shed, so you won't be running the vacuum every day to pick up dog fluff off the baseboards. A non-shedding dog will be prone to mats, so you'll need to get it groomed at regular intervals.

Get a small dog that is smart. Then you can easily teach it not to put its cold nose on your face. A smart, little, non-shedding dog will probably have a pretty high energy level, but you can work that off through play and daily walks. See point one, about walking your dog.

Get a cockapoo.

Good luck!

Kathy
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Contrary to popular understanding, fish are not easy pets to look after. They are very high maintenance in that the tank needs frequent cleaning and water changes, etc. I used to breed tropical fish but I'm much happier with my two cats!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lindawalms

Lindawalms Graduate

Hi Tashia,

Tashia should get a cat. They are so easy and so loving! My cat's play fetch! They run to the door when someone knocks or rings. They run to the phone when it rings.

They snuggle w/ you when you are sad. They cuddle with you when they are lazy. They like to play as much as they like to sleep - even more in their youth.

You do not have to walk them or pick up their droppings - only clean their box once a week which they instinctively know how to use themselves. They are clean.

Tashia should get a cat!

xoxo,
    Linda
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    I agree with Jo.....I say no on the fish. Not enough emotional attachment. You need a daily "pal." I like Kathy's idea about a dog so that you have a reason to get out of the house and do short walks. I think that will be the real determiner between a dog and a cat. You need to decide how you feel about the need to walk an animal or do you just want to empty a litter box instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

Thanks everyone for your input, I keep thinking about dogs and cats. I do like to walk and cuddle. Fish are very relaxting to watch. When we lived in Az. I also breed fish. They are a handful. The good think is they just swim. The problem I have is when you travel don't you have to board your cat just like a dog? Then I think of all the different kids of pets I have had including Guina Pigs. I still would like to hear from people. I do know I live in a apartment and that does limit some dogs from the start. So please keep putting your opion. I do know this lovely animal will come from a shealter. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:cat-kittyandsmiley:
  7. Cynthia07

Cynthia07 Member

We have a Jack Russell, and I finally could walk him around the block
    with a cane after 4 and a half months. They pull hard on the leash because they want to run, so I would
    recommend a very small cute dog that does not need alot of strenuous excercise.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Phoenixx29

Phoenixx29 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What Linda said :wink1:.

That's another vote for a cat from me! But seriously, I would love a dog but both myself and my husband work fulltime, and it wouldn't be fair to keep a dog on his own all day....And they are more a commitment as far as exercise etc is concerned.
    Cats are relatively low maintenance (as long as you don't get a longhaired one) and very good company. Mine "talks" to me all the time which can be very entertaining.
    If you are planning to go on holiday I think it's probably cheaper to board a cat than a dog.
    With regards to fish - I personally wouldn't want them as I would struggle to look after them properly. I agree they are relaxing to watch but for me that wouldn't be a good enough argument to keep them.
    Made your mind up yet?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lindawalms

Lindawalms Graduate

I usually have a neighbor come to check on my cats and feed them or also a cat service - but if I'm only gone 3 - 4 days I just leave a lot of food and water and they are lonely but fine!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

Hi Tashia, I am weighting in for a cat. Depending on where you live, if you live in a changing climate, you would need to walk a dog in the snow, freezing rain, down pours or 100 degree temperature, 0 degree temps, etc..
    If the dog needs to go out in the middle of the night you have to get up and let them out, not fun at 3 am.:doggieshmooze:

Cats will love just as much with less of a fuss. Good luck in your choice making venture.:cat-kittyandsmiley:

I can't wait to find out what you'll pick!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

I'm a dog person myself. Never had a cat growing up, and my kids could not go to friends' home growing up because they were allergic. But sounds like they are a very loving companion.

Love my dogs. Have a 6-month old puppy. Have to say it hasn't been easy to train her, but we love her, and still working on it. It takes a lot of time and patience to train them. Perhaps a shelter/sponsered dog etc that's already been house trained would be something to think about.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. WVKathy

WVKathy Junior Member

Since Yoshi, the tuxedo cat ("my Queen") is my avatar, it's only fair to let her weigh in on this issue:

Don't listen to Kathy. As a professional pet I can tell you exactly what to do. What you want is a cat, one as beautiful as I am, if you can find one. Kathy found me in a shelter, and she was lucky to get me.

Let me be clear: nobody needs to walk ! What a perfectly quaint idea. I get plenty of exercise just doing my yoga stretches. Kathy wishes she was that limber.

It's true that I shed. I shed all year long and in the spring I shed as though fur was going to be made illegal! But that just gives Kathy a reason to scrrrratch me with her grooming brushes. I love it! Can't get enough! She says that I'm a "very loving" cat, and it's true that I can tolerate the woman, but what I'm really after is the scrrrratching. The dog, the little cockapoo,whatever its name is, is loving and loyal and will dance around on its hind legs for a crummy dog biscuit! Dogs have no pride. I pride myself on my pride.

Tashia, find yourself a cat that will adopt you. If you're as lucky as Kathy was, she'll be ornamental, cuddly but independent, quiet (unless you get one of those hideous Siamese) and clean. Very clean.

Good luck.

Yoshi

P.S. After you've found your cat, maybe you'd like to get a little bird? Hmmm? You could hang his little cage near your kitty's favorite chair and she could watch him and make sure the latch is closed, yummmm? I mean hmmmm?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

I'm the wrong person to ask. Currently in my house we have five dogs, two cats (used to be four, but my oldest daughter decided to take two to her apartment), a snake, a lizard, two rats, and a fish tank.

But, if you want to go for a dog, but a small dog, I recommend a Chihuahua or a Chi-mix. Any small breed is good. I recommend Chis because four of my five dogs are Chis (the other is a German Shepherd).

You can litter train small dogs (I haven't, but I know it can be done). And smaller dogs don't need to walk as far as a larger one, they're good for apartments and personally, my Chis are great cuddlers. They cuddle more than the cats (and we have very cuddly cats).
    • Like Like x 1
  14. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I am a dog lover---and I have had Labrador Retrievers for about 15 years now. They are very people-oriented dogs and are very affectionate. They are also very intelligent and just love to be around people.

They can grow to be rather big and they can think that they are "lap dogs." Mine weigh about 80 lbs, 75 lbs, and 65 lbs.

Labs also live to eat---so you have to watch their weight.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

Yoshi, I love a cat who can take control of her owners computer! Goes to show you cats are much smarter than dogs!:th_heehee: Great job for your cause Yoshi!:thumb: That should help Tashia make up her mind!:wink1:

Kathy, that is very nice of you to give Yoshi free reign of your computer! Sweet!:cat-kittyandsmiley:
    • Like Like x 2
  16. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

This is great! I am having a blast reading all your posts. so far cats and dogs are winning. I hope more will tell me why I should get a cat or dog. I will get the pet at a shealter so a animal will find a new home and run it of course. :doggieshmooze:or:cat-kittyandsmiley:Tashia
  17. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

If you decide on a specific type of dog but you can't find it at a local shelter, look into dog rescues. My parents got a Pomeranian from a pom rescue group.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Yes! Yes! Yes! I would do a dog a favor. You would be surprised that everyday, across the US, over 1400 dogs are PTS because they have no home and here is no room at a shelter.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

I have decided if the dog or cat would like to give a opion, I would love to listen to their side of dog or cat. Keep posting. I have to admit I haven't been around cats for so long I wish there was a place where I could try a cat or dog for a couple of weeks. It is such a big decision. Keep posting. thanks :doggieshmooze:Tashia:cat-kittyandsmiley:
  20. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Tashia, most shelters will let you try out a dog or cat for a short period of time if you ask. They want the animal to be in the right home and usually will take them back if things don't work out.
    • Like Like x 2