BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

What does knee look like after recovery ?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by newlinda, Sep 30, 2013.

1. newlinda

newlinda Junior Member

United States United States
    I'm going to have surgery in a month. I know this might sound strange but I'm afraid I will never be able to wear shorts or a bathing suit again. What will my new knee look like ? Will it be much bigger than my other knee ?

2. referee54

referee54 Moderator

To be honest, after all of the swelling went down (that can take some time for some folks) the knee looked for me, just like any other knee. My scar has faded and is almost indiscernible. Others are more self-conscious about their knee' scar, but for the most part, one cannot even tell that I had a BTKR.

3. newlinda

newlinda Junior Member

Thank you for your positive reply, Referee54 !
    Linda

4. Whimsy3

Whimsy3 Member

Consider it a badge of honor. I remembering looking at my incision right after surgery thinking my OS had had a really bad case of morning afters :gaah:. It was a crooked as crooked could be. It then became kinda like a outward sign as to how swollen I was. (Straight if I wasn't crooked if I was) Three months after the surgery it has healed quite nicely, already fading and perfectly straight. I did rub copious amounts of coco butter on it as soon as I could.

5. newlinda

newlinda Junior Member

Hi Whimsy 3, thank you and your funny ! I can't believe I'm worrying about what my knee will look like except thinking how it will work....Lol.. I'm so darn vain ! But thank you for your experience. I will buy coco butter, Ha.
    Linda

6. gazelle7777

gazelle7777 Graduate

at just about 4 months out, I still have very noticeable scars... but they are getting better all the time. My knees are actually probably smaller than pre surgery as I had so much swelling before with my bad rotten old knees. At this point ( four months) I would not show my knees.... perhaps we will see how the scars look in a year....

7. gazelle7777

gazelle7777 Graduate

Hey Linda, I was so vain I asked people on this board pre surgery what I should do with my hair in the hospital!!:rotfl: I found out that is not your main worry!!! LOL! Joan

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ditzy dinah

ditzy dinah Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi New Linda! Tomorrow it will be one month since I had Bi-lateral Partials, and I think already my knees look great! Before they were lumpy and fat looking with arthritis. My swelling has gone down considerably already, and I can see the shape of them looks like normal knees! My legs look much younger !! I am very happy, and I will be proud to show them off next summer! I am rubbing in E45 cream everyday as instructed, and that is helping, as I have found that the skin is peeling a little, and is very dry on my new knees. I am sure this is temporary. The scars look a little better everyday, and are flattening out beautifully. As for my knees being bigger than before No! They are smaller!!:yay:

Hey Joan! I worried about this too! I guess we are all vain really, we want people to see us at our best, we don't want to look a mess for our visitors!! I took in dry shampoo! It really helped for the first few days at home too, until I felt up to washing my hair!

Good luck NewLinda!!:egypdance::egypdance:

9. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

Just like a normal knee with a line down the middle. Not a glaring line at all, quite discreet really.

10. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

Here's mine at almost 3 years

2yrs 9 m 200p.jpg

11. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    and mine at 12 months. Scar is on my right knee, it curves around the inside of my knee cap. I recently went to Sunshine Coast in Australia and wore shorts most days.

[​IMG]

12. leejaa

leejaa Post-Grad

I wore shorts at 5m and really did not care. I was so happy not to have pain. Now I have a newer scar on the other knee and again by summer will wear shorts if I wish. I tend not to wear bathing suits, not because of the scars but because of all the weight gain from years of not being able to do things and becoming too sedentary. Like so many others, I wish I had done this earlier and not lost so much time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WyrDachs

WyrDachs Member

Yes, you will b able to wear shorts, skirts and a bathing suits. I'm not at all self conscious about my knees at all. I do make sure to put sunscreen on them if my legs will be exposed to the sun.

I've had no both my knees done, a year apart from one another and i've worn shorts an and skirts all summer long. No one even seems to notice unless it's pointed out to them.

As for washing hair in the hospital, theorist day or to after surgery, I couldn't care less about my hair, but once they transferred me to rehab, I was able to shower and wash my hair. I did bring my own shampoo.

14. leejaa

leejaa Post-Grad

I cut my hair short 2d before surgery (my hair is normally short anyways) and on the 2nd day in hospital just washed my hair in the sink in the bathroom. Once I was home , I did same with sink washing and then 5d post op my directions were that I could take a shower so I did.

15. referee54

referee54 Moderator

While I am a guy and not as self conscious about my scars, that is more or less the same reaction---nobody seems to notice unlessit is pointed out to them that I had a BTKR.

16. newlinda

newlinda Junior Member

Thank you so much for your knee photos ! You look great ! The new knee looks so normal and I can't even see the scar ! Whew, I was so worried that I would have a really big knee afterward. Now I feel so much better !
    Thank You everyone else who shared their stories ! This forum is wonderful !

17. referee54

referee54 Moderator

After the surgical swelling and such goes down, you really won't think about how the knee looks---as it looks the same---and it feels like a knee should feel (pain free) and it functions like a knee should, too!

18. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    I think I had a surgeon who cares about the look afterwards as my husband has had surgery on each shoulder by the same guy and scar is equally as invisible as my knee. But I also rubbed Trilogy Organic Rosehip Oil into it once it had fully healed over. I didn't have staples, I had internal dissolving stitches and steri strips.

19. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

My unoperated knee is always a bit swollen but my new one looks like a regular knee. I haven't seen that in years. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. My way

My way Graduate

Canada Canada
    Hi newlinda I had a BTKR a little over 13 weeks ago. Prior to my surgery my right knee and thigh were much bigger than the left. Last night I was elevating my legs and I realized that both knees and thighs were looking normal. For the first time in 3 years my right knee looked like a knee. I could even see a knee cap!!!:happydance:
    Wanda