What age were you when you got your Knee surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
53, but only put it off till this year because of insurance.

I'll be 59 next week, and my BTKR surgery is in 15 days (not that I'm counting!)

I am 58 and having mine done next month, age was never mentioned, I also had a hip replacement last year at 57. The age thing did come up with my rheumatologist, only because she was wondering why I had such bad joints at this so called younger age. So that made her look harder and found out I have chondrocalcinosis which is calcium crystals that grind on the joints. So I think I will be getting even more joints in my future.

But that is why I am so frustrated, all 4 doctors of different clinics want to me to wait and don't seem to care that I am practically immobilized. They have said they would NOT do both knees at once either. One wanted to wait a year in between and the other at least 6 months. I just haven't found the right one yet I guess.

Both at once. Unless you have other health issues then youth is on your side for BTKR because you are younger and fitter than the usual patient!!

Surgeon older than me...:) As has been said, you guess right: you need to find a new doctor.

I agree see another doctor when we are 85 might be like star trek and beam knew knee in, now is when you want to live life.My doctor is older and still working i packed work in because of knees told him this and then put me forward for tkr.

56 for me. Surgeon said he treats me and not my date of birth.
Also said its not cancer, it won't kill you but it is affecting your life

0511-0812-2901-5536_Spry_Old_Woman_Running_With_a_Walker_clipart_image.png Well, I guess I just lucked out. I was an old broad who'd just turned 68 when I got my hip done, then got both knees done the month before I turned 69.

Of course, you understand that in my mind I'm just 35.:heehee:

I am 39 and just had the second knee done 2 week ago. you need to find a different Dr. on who belives in QUALITY of life rather than Quantity of life.

I agree see another doctor when we are 85 might be like star trek and beam knew knee in, .
I like that prospect. :heehee: Or they just wave that wand thingie and regenerate the whole thing.

I was 57 and I had to fight to get them to agree to the surgery. I was constantly being told I was too young. Even in the OR I heard I was the youngest patient they had for a TKR but mine was being done by the VA so I had to fight with goverrment red tape. I won the fight and got a new knee. so don't give up keep looking someone will listen

I only ask because the doctors I have seen are so reluctant to do any surgery on my knees because of my age. They say that for me, doing TKR at 60, they would not want want to do a revision if needed at 85. They want me to wait ten years till I am 70 so I would be hopefully (for them) dead before another revision. I find it so very bizarre as I can do nothing and am in constant pain. I don't know if they just don't believe me or what. I find the lack of empathy with these doctors astonishing.

The only thing I can do is sit in my recliner and watch tv or use my laptop. I can't do my graphic design business on my desktop computer because it hurts so much to sit there, and I can't be as accurate, intricate or intensive on the laptop as I need to be (though I do give it quite a good try). I can't work and I don't see myself re-starting my career at 70 after they finally agree to do my knees, ha! I would like to be able to work my last 5 to 10 years before retirement.

I've done so much reading here and I see people of all ages in all circumstances with success. I wonder if the hospitals have statistics about the age of TKR's.
You need another doctor! That's awful. I believe I may even have to write a letter to the board of orthopedic surgeons about that dr. I am 54 and my Dr. didn't blink.

Thanks, KayeKaye! It's crazy how soon it is sneaking up. This morning when I looked here and Kathy had posted 16 days until our TKR, I thought, "OH, WOW!" Then I got to my office and when I turned on my computer, and July popped up on my calendar, I actually 'got it'! It is so close. The craziest thing is that I am STILL at peace about the whole thing.
I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I truly hope that you find your surgeon! Let us know how you make out.

That is a tremendous attitude! That attitude will help you along the way and through recovery!

Thanks, Tim. This forum and the great people that have shared and talked me off the edge are a blessing!

KK- Also want to add that with this wonderful new knee- I "FEEL" like I am 40!
Before my TKA, I 'FELT' like I was 99!

Thank you again all of you. You have made it so much easier for me to know I should do this. I did find a doctor at Mayo clinic today. He found that my kneecaps are deteriorated to the point that I can have this done any day I choose. He said it was a "no brainer". Finally.

Well, when my left knee was done I was 44. Then had birthday and had second knee done at 45 and again two weeks later, because of infection. Then I turned the ripe old age of 47 :heehee: and had the third and final complete surgery :beg: on my right knee! So age is just a number, it is the quality of life that is the best part of all! :yahoo:

I would have kept looking if they told me I had to wait until I was 50! I had no quality, only quantity back then. Even though the inside muscle is having to be exercised back into existence, I wouldn't do anything differently! I love living and walking on the anti-gravity treadmill so much, that I will pay to use it when therapy is over!

I haven't ever heard of doctors who want you to wait until you are 70. I was 50 when I smashed my knee up, and when it was repaired they told me that I would need a TKR in the future. I was told to manage with it for as long as I could, and if I could get to sixty, so much the better. My TKR is taking place on 30th of this month, and I will be 61.
For God's sake, some people don't even make 70.
Thank goodness you found a sensible doctor.

That was my thoughts, I need to live now, if I can't dance on tables when I'm 75 and need another knee then I'll deal with it when it happens,, I could be dead by then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks