BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

What age were you when you got your Knee surgery?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by KayeKaye, Jul 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KayeKaye

KayeKaye Senior

I only ask because the doctors I have seen are so reluctant to do any surgery on my knees because of my age. They say that for me, doing TKR at 60, they would not want want to do a revision if needed at 85. They want me to wait ten years till I am 70 so I would be hopefully (for them) dead before another revision. I find it so very bizarre as I can do nothing and am in constant pain. I don't know if they just don't believe me or what. I find the lack of empathy with these doctors astonishing.

The only thing I can do is sit in my recliner and watch tv or use my laptop. I can't do my graphic design business on my desktop computer because it hurts so much to sit there, and I can't be as accurate, intricate or intensive on the laptop as I need to be (though I do give it quite a good try). I can't work and I don't see myself re-starting my career at 70 after they finally agree to do my knees, ha! I would like to be able to work my last 5 to 10 years before retirement.

I've done so much reading here and I see people of all ages in all circumstances with success. I wonder if the hospitals have statistics about the age of TKR's.
  2. Knitter4444

Knitter4444 Graduate

OMG Kaye?...please see another doctor. I had my replacements at 69 and there many here who are decades younger. I needed them many years before but needed to take care of family. Some of these medical professionals do not understand about quality of life and that you are entitled to. I know the wonderful people here will chime in and tell you the same thing, probably more eloquently than I.
  3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Kaye, I was 58 when I had my knee done. Please, please find another surgeon! This one is soooo very wrong in his approach to surgery. You need not suffer like this!!!
  4. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

I was 60, find another OS, no need to suffer.
  5. KathyH

KathyH Sr Bonesmartie

I am 60 and having my LTKR in 16 days - a bit longer now as my surgery has been re-scheduled.

Kathy
    xx
  6. 1ELISEA

1ELISEA Forum Advisor

They called me a "young'en" at the drs office so apparently I wasn't as old as their usual patient. They did the knee replacement, however.

How many doctors have you seen? Are they all with the same practice? What type of orthopedic surgery do they perform? I mean, is it the latest technique or are they more of the tried and true, been doing it this way for 20 years type of surgeon.

Are you in a small city and can't travel, or are you near a metropolitan area in MN? There might be other BoneSmarties that can recommend someone in your area to see for a second or third or fourth opinion.

Oh hey, just read in your other thread you were going to Mayo. Have you been there yet and what did they say?

All the best!
  7. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Kathy, 16 days? Yikes, me too!

KayeKaye, I will be 55. Insurance (US) used to demand that people be 65, but not anymore. I agree with the people that say to ask a few other surgeons. I understand that you have had some surgeon challenges and differences of opinion. I still think that calling one of the orthopedic surgeon associations could be helpful to your information gathering. I deleted my post because my advice was shot down as useless. (It happens often here when I try to be helpful or supportive.) Anyway, I hope that the roadblocks stop for you and you find a surgeon that will overlook your age and help you. You deserve a break! Good luck, my friend!
  8. vegasmomof3

vegasmomof3 Member

I had my right knee done on march 12, 2012 and will be having my left one done in 13 days. I am 49! Please find another doctor I went bone on bone for almost 20 years cuz I was too young. I also sat on the sidelines for the majority of those years. Take your life back and please find yourself another doctor.

Margie
  9. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

I was 54 when I had my replacement.
  10. Scarey

Scarey Junior Member

I am having mine this week, I am 47.
  11. lh25

lh25 Member

I agree with everyone else, keep talking to doctors. I was 48 when I got mine done. And yes, while chances are good I'll need at least one revision, waiting and being in pain and not doing anything also has implications for your health. Which too many surgeons don't seem to get.
  12. referee54

referee54 Moderator

53 years old---and I, nor my OS, thought anything about my age.
  13. KayeKaye

KayeKaye Senior

Thanks so much for all the replies! It helps so much. :yay:

I should have said that I have seen four doctors so far and seeing a doctor at the Mayo clinic tomorrow, Tuesday and yes I am in the Twin Cities. If there are any others in MN that have had a good doctor please let me know. I used the clinic guide on the forum.
    :beg:

But that is why I am so frustrated, all 4 doctors of different clinics want to me to wait and don't seem to care that I am practically immobilized. They have said they would NOT do both knees at once either. One wanted to wait a year in between and the other at least 6 months. I just haven't found the right one yet I guess. Never knew it would be this difficult to get well.
    :hairpulling:

Nyland and Kathy good luck with your soon to be new knees and new lease on life! I will be reading your post op and praying for you both.
    :dancy:
  14. Phoenixx29

Phoenixx29 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, I'm 46 and will have both knees done soon. There are loads of people on this board in their 40s who are currently waiting for surgery or just had their knee(s) replaced - there are even some who are younger.

When I had my consultation with the OS, he took a look at the X-rays, quick look at my knees and took 2 minutes to decide that I needed both knees done. My age was not even mentioned. I didn't expect to get clearance at all as about 15 years ago, at a different hospital (only about 15 miles away) I was told a knee replacement was my only option, but I would have to wait until I'm at least 60. So I have been in the mindset of putting up with being immobile as nothing could be done for me anyway for all that time.

I also know that there is one surgeon at my current hospital who will do both knees at the same time. I don't think that is right for me, but I would have the option.

So - please don't give up. The issues around "age" and "one or two knees at a time" and even "weight" vary from surgeon to surgeon. I'm sure you will find a surgeon who will look at your quality of life instead of worrying what age you are. Good luck in your search for the right surgeon!
  15. Michael Reed

Michael Reed Member

I am one of those "younger" ones around here that all the others are talking about. I will be having both knees replaced on the 25th. When I meet my OS I said something about my age and he said it's not about age it's about quality of life.

I hope you are able to find an OS with a head on his shoulders that doesn't just look at the year on your birth certificate.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

Yes, don't give up. I would think there would be a doc in the Twin Cities area or certainly Mayo who wouldn't see 60 as young with knees in your condition. Have you tried an OS connected with the University? They're often more up to date in their thinking.
  17. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

I was 50 when told I needed them done by dr. #2, then had a birthday the month I waited. So 51 and 2 1/2 weeks old.
  18. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

I had just turned 59 when I had my surgery. I had needed it several years prior but was in denial. Tried, shots, scope surgery PT, nothing helped. I surrendered and had the surgery because I had no life without it, I was in so much pain prior. No knee pain anymore, just TKR stiffness and tendonitis that comes and goes.
  19. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Geeze, these dinosaurs should get into the 21st century! Kay, I said this in your other thread and told you how to search using the forum's "Find a Clinic" feature at top of the page. You need to do lots of research to find the right chap.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Nyland

Nyland Post-Grad

Thanks, KayeKaye! It's crazy how soon it is sneaking up. This morning when I looked here and Kathy had posted 16 days until our TKR, I thought, "OH, WOW!" Then I got to my office and when I turned on my computer, and July popped up on my calendar, I actually 'got it'! It is so close. The craziest thing is that I am STILL at peace about the whole thing.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. I truly hope that you find your surgeon! Let us know how you make out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.