BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

UTI and Knee Replacements

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by BigRed, Aug 21, 2010.

1. BigRed

BigRed Member

I am being plagued with UTI's (urinary tract infections) and I am concerned because I was told the infection can damage my new knees.

I have rarely had UTI's in the past (May be 2 in 15 years) but have been diagnosed with my fourth since May and my sixth since my surgery. I also had one about 2 months before the surgery. My doctor is trying to figure out what is causing the UTI's and how to rid me of them but so far with no luck. He has done multiple cultures but nothing specific has been found.

How worried should I be about my new knees?
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    I don't think you should worry at all. It sounds like you and your doctor are keeping on top of the infections and treating them promptly. I do hope he can find out why you are getting them so frequently, though.
  3. jugornot

jugornot Member

My wife has frequent UTIs and after trying most every treatment, the doc has her on preventive antibiotics. It has banished UTI's from our lives. Macrodantin or Nitrofurantoin I think is what she takes at a very low dose. You might try this for a while to control the infections. HTH

Bill
  4. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There's no specific evidence that they cause late onset infections but neither is there any substantive evidence they don't. I have my GP nicely trained to give me 4 days of cefalexin every UTI I have. The last one only lasted 24hrs but I would prefer not to take any chances!
  5. Susie-Q

Susie-Q Member

Both of my elderly parents have been plagued with UTIs for the past few years. My mother's caregiver recommended Cranberry tablets, they are an OTC supplement, not sure of the mgs but they are concentrated. Taking these daily has really, really helped prevent them getting UTIs, my dad used to get them every few months and now hasn't had one for at least 18 months to a year. It's been at least a year for my mom as well.
  6. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Boy, I agree with you, Susie!!! Just get it done and move on!!!
  7. BigRed

BigRed Member

I appreciate your comments. I have tried the cranberry tablets and had to stop them. Apparently, they may raise the uric acid level in people who tend to form uric acid easily. While on the tablets my uric acid level was elevated so much so that my doctor was concerned about gout or kidney stones developing.

My doctor has mentioned the possibility of putting me on preventive antibiotics but he has not done this yet.

My concern as that my OS told me to be on the alert for such infections and this made me a bit nervous. Your comments have eased my mind.
  8. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can't stand cranberries, not the berries nor the juice :euw: